Installing OEM navigation on a vehicle without stock navigation | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installing OEM navigation on a vehicle without stock navigation

Themightyquinn

Reaction score
City, State
Philly, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Eddie Bauer 4.0L AWD
Hey all. I've got a 2007 Eddie Bauer V6 Explorer AWD. It does not have stock navigation unit. Would it be practically possible to steal a navigation unit from another 07 Explorer and install it on mine? I know i would need to also install a GPS antenna and change out the steering wheel controls. How extensive would this modification be? Would I be needing the wiring harnesses from the donor vehicle and how easy will the harnesses connect to the rest of the wiring in my vehicle? Hope you guys can shed a little light on this for me. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did this on a 2008 Mustang with a new OEM Ford Nav radio bought on ebay, and it was pretty easy. The radio will plug in and steering controls should work, as should a sub if you have it. The GPS antenna can be installed under the dash if you don't have the electrically heated windshield. If the radio comes from an Explorer, it should be a plug and play, but if not you may need to get it programmed so the instrument lights, steering controls, etc. will all work. Dealers do not usually have the ability to do this, as it takes special equipment for the radio, but you can send the radio out to shops that can handle that for you.

Thanks Beargap. So are you saying the connectors on the back of the stereo unit in my explorer are the same as the connectors on the back of a GPS/stereo unit from an explorer. I figured they might be different with different wiring harnesses. There is a voice button on the steering wheel for GPS enabled explorers. How would I wire that into my vehicle?

Well, that might be a problem. The voice feature needs the rear-view mirror with the microphones built in, so if you don't have that it will be an additional purchase. I don't know if the harness is different, but I suspect it is not. Frankly, we have that voice feature on our '08 Mountaineer and just never use it. While it is cool to show how we can tell the radio to change stations or to navigate to some place, it is much faster to just push the buttons and not drag through listening to the voice menu. There was no voice option on the Mustang and I don't miss it.

That said, the connectors are basically the same. You may be missing one if you don't have a subwoofer with its external amp, but the programming will take care of that and the Nav radio will work fine. Similar issue if you have a SAT receiver.

You were right. :) i have all three connectors on the back of mine because I have sat radio and subwoofer. I didn't know there wasn't any extra components for the GPS. But will I need to have the GPS programmed if I buy one? and also will any GPS/radio unit from 06-10 Explorers work?

The 2010 models changed the Nav radio to be a Sync system. Prettier graphics, but the radio does not have the built in amp to drive the door speakers and that needs to be purchased separately. Plugs may have changed. Also, the radio antenna connector changed somewhere in that timeframe, but adaptors are easy to use if they don't match. Somewhere (maybe on this forum?) there was a series of posts about how to do that. The earlier version of the Nav was the same for all Fords and I suspect even your Sat receiver will still work.

If the radio comes from a similar Explorer, likely you will not need to reprogram it, but if it is new or from some other model you probably will. Without programming you will note things not quite working, perhaps like the button lights or steering wheel controls or something. You will need a map disk, too, but those are readily available if the radio doesn't come with one.

Beargap has good info. I actually like the voice button because you can input an address while driving. The 2009+ also has a much prettier interface, like beargap said. I had a 2008 with Sync but no nav. I bought the radio along with a GPS antenna and had to re-wire the Sync module in the center console. But obviously you wouldn't have to do that. Here is one I found on ebay, this would work for you. pricey, but it looks worth it. you would still have to find a mirror with a mic and wire it in

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-2007-2...t=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item1e762c5e34&vxp=mtr

Beargap has good info. I actually like the voice button because you can input an address while driving. The 2009+ also has a much prettier interface, like beargap said. I had a 2008 with Sync but no nav. I bought the radio along with a GPS antenna and had to re-wire the Sync module in the center console. But obviously you wouldn't have to do that. Here is one I found on ebay, this would work for you. pricey, but it looks worth it. you would still have to find a mirror with a mic and wire it in

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-2007-2...t=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item1e762c5e34&vxp=mtr

I would tell that seller to screw off. I saw a couple of other ones on ebay that both came from a 2006 Mounty. One was $302 and the other was like $350 I think. And they were benchtested too. I figure an 06 should fit in my 07.

The 2010 models changed the Nav radio to be a Sync system. Prettier graphics, but the radio does not have the built in amp to drive the door speakers and that needs to be purchased separately. Plugs may have changed. Also, the radio antenna connector changed somewhere in that timeframe, but adaptors are easy to use if they don't match. Somewhere (maybe on this forum?) there was a series of posts about how to do that. The earlier version of the Nav was the same for all Fords and I suspect even your Sat receiver will still work.

If the radio comes from a similar Explorer, likely you will not need to reprogram it, but if it is new or from some other model you probably will. Without programming you will note things not quite working, perhaps like the button lights or steering wheel controls or something. You will need a map disk, too, but those are readily available if the radio doesn't come with one.

My long term plan is to find a junked 07 Limited 4.0 4wd with every single option available, and rip the dash wiring harness, all the optional equipment i dont have in my Eddie Bauer, and the wiring harnesses to go along with them. And then remove the entire interior in my EB and install all the Limited wiring and Equipment. I figure its cheaper than trading my EB in for a 06- 10 Limited. Plus I've grown attached to my EB and don't think I ever want to get rid of it.
And maybe I'll make a thread about removing the entire dash and interior on an 07 explorer. Maybe itll be a sticky! ;)

Actually, there is a simple mod for the pre-2010 Nav radios that accesses the developer screen and you can disable the limitation on entering addresses when underway. Very handy, especially when you have a passenger who can then search POIs or enter detailed addresses without having to stop. The mod does not involve anything but front panel programming.

Note, the mod does not work with the later Sync packages.

I would tell that seller to screw off. I saw a couple of other ones on ebay that both came from a 2006 Mounty. One was $302 and the other was like $350 I think. And they were benchtested too. I figure an 06 should fit in my 07.

welp, just trying to help

Actually, there is a simple mod for the pre-2010 Nav radios that accesses the developer screen and you can disable the limitation on entering addresses when underway. Very handy, especially when you have a passenger who can then search POIs or enter detailed addresses without having to stop. The mod does not involve anything but front panel programming.

Note, the mod does not work with the later Sync packages.

Very interesting.... My wife has a 2007 Jag XK I would LOVE to do that to.

Back