How to: - 1.5" body lift for less than $50 | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
here are my tow hooks with the 1.5" bodylift
IMAG0084.jpg

DSC02606.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Okay, all in...

I ordered the blocks and required fasteners, so the 1.5" body lift will be the goal before the trip.

Need to post some pics...

Was going to chop the blocks in a band saw, then got creative and asked a friend that works at a machine shop to cut them on the lathe....

Turned out real nice, but the rain keep us from starting or me getting out the camera. Will try to post pics of the finished blocks tomorrow night.

Required modifications for 1.5" lift?

Trying to make sure I have all my bases covered for doing this lift this coming weekend.
With a 1.5" lift, anyone got pics of the steering shaft modifications?

It looks like I won't need to flip the bumpers, which is great, because I want to track down a OEM 2" receiver bumper from a pull-a-part, and replace the small reciever hitch.

Will I have trouble with line lengths on the rear A/C?

Thanks in advance.

...steering shaft modifications?

It looks like I won't need to flip the bumpers, which is great, because I want to track down a OEM 2" receiver bumper from a pull-a-part, and replace the small reciever hitch.

Will I have trouble with line lengths on the rear A/C?

Thanks in advance.

Fortunately with the 1.5" lift there is no need to modify the steering shaft (it is slightly telescopic, but you may choose to disconnect it when jacking the body up). Also, no lines for anything have to be extended (even with the 3" lift) Of course, go slowly and keep an eye on everything in the engine bay just for good measure. The fan shroud must be removed and trimmed accordingly

Fortunately with the 1.5" lift there is no need to modify the steering shaft (it is slightly telescopic, but you may choose to disconnect it when jacking the body up). Also, no lines for anything have to be extended (even with the 3" lift) Of course, go slowly and keep an eye on everything in the engine bay just for good measure. The fan shroud must be removed and trimmed accordingly

I would strongly suggest disconnecting the steering shaft before jacking up the body. It's really easy to damage something if you don't.

I would strongly suggest disconnecting the steering shaft before jacking up the body. It's really easy to damage something if you don't.

Thanks to you both for the tips, maybe my camera phone will cooperate enough to send some pics of the blocks after work.

Okay, lift is in.....

Battling the rain did not help.

With the rear A/C, the lines are attached to the body, so no issues there during the lift.

The Harbor Freight oil filter clamping pliers were very useful on the front, rear and the body mounts behind the front axle.

Front two bolts are the worst, the recess traps rust flakes, which does not let the PB blaster work. I would suggest removing the top nut and washer, blowing out the recess with air nozzle (wear eye protection, and be prepared to make a mess), then treating with PB blaster or your favorite penetrating oil.

Even though I bought the oil filter clamping pliers at Harbor Freight, I still could not clamp the two mounts under the 2nd row floor board. My solution was a big pair of curved jaw clamping pliers clamped to the edge of the large threaded washer, and jammed against the frame. That actually held against a 24" breaker bar.

Lower shroud was more annoying to remove that I thought it would be with the lower line attached to the shroud.

After pulling the 2nd row seats, we ended up just pulling all the seats to vacuum and clean the carpet. That made things even easier.

Lift is installed....

Not the best pic, but the 1.5" lift and the Coopers made a huge difference.

icQkbjNqPp6Yd.JPG

Looks nice Dred! I'm looking at doing the same for my Sport, where did you buy the lift/blocks?

Question , I know the answer is somewhere with in the 15 pages but will this mod/lift work on a 2gen 96 awd? Cause all I'm seeing is newer ones

Oh just found my answer .. Sorry still new here

Starting this project tomorrow! wish me luck:)

Lift/Level

KOPowHDv_original.jpg

Finished the lift/level yesterday...I may go up a notch in the back but, overall I'm happy with the look. Now for tires...

Sorry for the huge pic...will figure out how to resize soon...

Has anyone made their own steering extensions?

I have a 2 inch lift left over from an old vehicle, and was thinking about ordering some bolts and throwing it on.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Has anyone made their own steering extensions?

I have a 2 inch lift left over from an old vehicle, and was thinking about ordering some bolts and throwing it on.

For the 1.5" you don't need an extension.

Back