• Register Today It's free!

Roof Rack / Rail Removal

txaggie

Reaction score
City, State
Plano, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer
Still looking for a way to remove the rails and have the holes in the roof plugged. Looked at the Ford Police Interceptors, the Utility version (obviously an Explorer). Most of the pictures of them do NOT have the rails standard. So, either they have figured out a way to fill in the holes, or they don't have the holes in the roof to begin with. I noticed that they all have the black plastic strips that go from the top of the windshield to just over the leading edge of the roof.

http://www.ford.com/fordpoliceinterceptor/#/interceptorsonduty

I called my local dealer and he didn't see a part that would cover the slot and holes on the roof, so he surmises that they don't drill the holes for the racks when they are made.

Has anyone seen one of these vehicles? I plan to take a closer look if I see one in the Dallas area. Looks like University of North Texas has some, I might have to take a trip up there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Definitely interested on what you'll find out. I too would like to shave off my roof rails.

We have them at the agency I work for. The ones I have seen have had the rails removed and only have the front plastic molding on the front 12 inches or so. The holes were filled with bolts (looks like they used galvanized bolts - not my first choice if it were me). The paint around the bolt is started to lift around the bolts after only a few months. They didn't use any washers so the ones I have seen. I plan to remove the rails on my sport, possibly using stainless bolts and washers. I'll post an update when I do.

Anybody done it yet? I removed them to plastic dip but want to just leave them off now. Obviously the holes need to be filled but the front trim poses the biggest problem.

Just wanted to check if anybody had any ideas.

I am new to the Explorer forum however not new to Ford Products and Mod's.

My thought and attempt at this will be to get close to a Police interceptor 2013 Explorer to see how the roof area is finished off. There are a few of these in Raleigh, NC without the roof racks.

I'm sure someone else has done this that will chime in as well.

Gary F

Fowlergk. Awesome idea! I don't have any close too me so hopefully some else can speak up. Maybe the dealership would be able to order that part?

Removing roof rack?

Was looking for some information on how to do this, or hoping to see some pictures of anyone who may have done this. I hopped up to look at the racks to see how hard it would be to take them off, and there are no visible drill holes or removal options that are plainly visible.

Does anyone know anything about this? I searched the forums for this subject and didn't have much luck so I hope I'm not the first one that's had this idea.

Was looking for some information on how to do this, or hoping to see some pictures of anyone who may have done this. I hopped up to look at the racks to see how hard it would be to take them off, and there are no visible drill holes or removal options that are plainly visible.

Does anyone know anything about this? I searched the forums for this subject and didn't have much luck so I hope I'm not the first one that's had this idea.
I don't recall this subject coming up before in this 'Discussion' forum but as luck would have it, I did a 'Search' and found a thread started today in the 'Modified' section, where I guess it should be. I'm guessing that perhaps it is held on with fasteners that are on the inside, under the liner. I believe that this has and still is a source for the water leak that some members are experiencing.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=383226&highlight=roof+rack

Good luck.

Peter

Huge help, Peter - thanks a lot for the find. I'll definitely check it out. :thumbsup:

Sorry to revive this thread but...
I removed my rails due to the paint falling off. I just put the screws back in the holes. I have the rails and plastic pieces sitting in the garage. Oh, and I haven't gotten any leaks.

Hey guys I actually was involved in this same issue with the Police Interceptor Utility. So when the engineers showed us the "Slicktop" Utility they were concerned about the appearance of the "gutter seam" as they put it. The filler material left a rather rough unattractive appearance.

It was suggested to just extend the retail Explorer plastic trim piece that starts at the windshield and is attached to the roof rack mounting brackets.

The answer was "sure but thats around a million dollars to design and tool up a part that may have a take rate of around 50,000 units a year."

So the Police Advisory Board agreed to just leave it as an open gutter with seam sealer showing in the trough. The 2013 models had a new process and the seam filler material is a much smoother finish that looks much better.

So the final answer is there is NO trim piece thats used on the Interceptor Utility that can be installed on a retail Explorer that has the retail roof rack removed.

First Post...I just removed my rack. Used those black trim fasteners, the kind that push on to hold fender wells and such. Can't even see them in the gutter. I'm 6'5 so if anyone can see them it should be me. Used some sealant, pushed them in and done. As for the black trim piece, that was a little more tricky. Your left with a tab sicking up which you'll have to trim out. Then what to do about the two square holes left in the trim piece....... Well, used two of those fender thingies, trimmed the stem and super glued them over the holes. It actually kinda looks like they are supposed be be there. Then more adhesive sealant, put them on and done.

All in all, looks pretty good for a 30 minute job. I'll have to find time to snap some pictures......

20130709_090642_zpsdd49711c.jpg

20130709_090620_zpsc57a9190.jpg

20130709_090648_zpsd7cf2912.jpg

20130709_090628_zpsaab7c9e2.jpg

Full vehicle pics please

Very nice. Great job:thumbsup: . Thanks for sharing.

I'd like to see some more pictures! :thumbsup:

IDK, looks "bald" to me. I actually like racks ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yeah not digging it as much as I thought I would. Looks more mini-van-ish now or something.

Back