Painting or Plastic Dip Door handles | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Painting or Plastic Dip Door handles

I ordered some of the film to give it a shot. I have mine plasti dipped but it doesn't hold up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I like the white the best out of the 4 colors available. Black always looks the best but it stays clean the shortest lol. Since it's my wife's DD I refused to upkeep a black daily driver so we went with white. It's still pretty bad, but you don't have to battle swirls nearly as bad as black. For the most part it stays pretty clean looking except the lift gate. With the vortex draw behind it when you drive that gets filthy in no time, but other than that it's not horrible. Easier than black, but harder than silver or red lol.

Thanks Harley! Am looking forward to it!

Just wanted to know if you ever got the pics of the painted lower portion of the Sport done?? Just got my wife a black one two weeks ago and was thinking of getting it painted as well... Any Pics of the finished product??? Thanks!!

Yes I did. Came out great. Will have to learn how to post pics on the forum for u

Just wanted to know if you ever got the pics of the painted lower portion of the Sport done?? Just got my wife a black one two weeks ago and was thinking of getting it painted as well

I'm looking forward to seeing how the white paint came out too... As for the black sport I'm curious what you're going to paint? It's all black already!

Can't wait to see pics, I'm also curious to see how it came out.

Just purchased 2014 sport and yes, it has chrome handles. Does not look good with everything's else blacked out. I have been told replacing or even painting the handles will require removal of the inside door panels and some pretty serious deconstruction of the doors. I am wondering if I can wrap the handles instead. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Just purchased 2014 sport and yes, it has chrome handles. Does not look good with everything's else blacked out. I have been told replacing or even painting the handles will require removal of the inside door panels and some pretty serious deconstruction of the doors. I am wondering if I can wrap the handles instead. Anyone have thoughts on this?

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=387075

or

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...ure=youtu.be&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13786657896558

more than enough info!!!

Thank you Nightcrew! Exactly what I was thinking and some good info/advice. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Definitely going to try this! Just got a 2014 Sport in black and those chrome handles stand out like sore thumbs! Question for Harley that I didn't see specifically addressed... Did you have to take the handles off to get it "right" around the corners and back sides? I see some talking about taking the handles off, but I wasn't sure if it was part of the "Harley process". lol. Thanks!

I had mine plastidipped. I then ordered some vinyl wrap to change it over. Turned out well, but now that I know how to take the handles apart (very easy) I think the best long term plan is to just have them painted.

sorry about the crappy pic, but here is mine with the vinyl

IMG_20130808_110947.jpg

I'm going to do this too.

I was wondering what the guys who have wrapped theirs thought about wrapping after taking the handles off?

Is there any benefit?

at first I didn't know how the handles came off so I wrapped them on the doors. They came out as a 9.5/10. You could see the chrome around the very back edge where you couldn't wrap and tuck the vinyl and still get a clean cut, but you'd have to stand on top of the handle and look straight down to see it. Nobody noticed even my finicky car buddies until I pointed it out, only because I knew it was like that.

THen I saw how easily the handle covers come off. I popped the rears off and redid them. It's easier in terms that you don't have to trim as precisely, you just wrap it around the backside. But it's harder in terms that you have to hold it with 1 hand and vinyl wrap with the other, or a combo of the two. With it mounted on the door it's cake to work the vinyl since you only have to hold the vinyl, you have 2 hands free for applying, stretching, shaping, and trimming. It's a relatively easy mod though if you have some patience. With taking them off I give them a 9.9/10, you can completely cover the chrome.

I still haven't redone the fronts. Just haven't had the time to fiddle with it. So right now my backs were done taking them off, the fronts were done on the doors. Nobody notices the difference except for me lol. Eventually I'll pull the fronts off and vinyl wrap them.

it was definitely a must-do mod for the sport!

Bought the vinyl yesterday on Amazon - looks like it'll be here in time for a weekend project!

Just completed the Gloss Black 3M wrap on my passenger side door handles. Can't imagine doing that project "without removing the covers".

Removing the chrome plastic covers was so easy, if you plan to wrap your handles, definitely remove them.

There is a video that one of our members posted in another thread that shows you exactly the simple steps. Search "Door Handles" in the Modified section and it will come up. The YouTube video is on the 2nd or 3rd page.

Tomorrow night I will tackle the drivers side.

I gave it a whirl last night on one of the back handles. I, too, cannot imagine how this can be done while the handles are on the car! My first effort was pretty good, but I'm a perfectionist so I hope to improve the look on the next back handle and maybe re-do the one I did last night in the end. I will say, though, the gloss black on the Tuxedo black car look SHARP!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back