Painting or Plastic Dip Door handles | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Painting or Plastic Dip Door handles

Just ordered ford edge "paint to match" door handles from the dealer to go on my ex sport white plat.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just ordered ford edge "paint to match" door handles from the dealer to go on my ex sport white plat.

What is the cost on those?

I saw a new Mustang on a parking lot, and the painted handles on a Mustang look just like our Explorers

Seems you could order Mustang handles also.

I took mine off and vinyl wrapped them for less than $15....and am very pleased

I'm really interested in finding out someone has put paintable edge (or mustang if it works) handles on. I would do this in a heartbeat if its a solid option.

What is the cost on those?

Well I work at a Ford dealer so my cost was around 320 for all parts and then I will have my body shop paint them. Its a little expensive for door handles, but I cant stand the chrome ones and I want an exact match to the white plat not just white plasti dip. If you go to http://www.oemfordpart.com/ and search under ford edge(11-13) and look for the door handle parts that are paint to match. This website has the same parts and are within $10 of dealer cost on each part.

Man, I wish they would've paint matched like the SHOs

Now I def want to do this... The question for me will be should I paint them black to match all the trim or color match them (ruby red)...

I painted mine with Krylon plastic paint. IMO they look good

Painted the stock chrome ones, kinda semi gloss black. I didn't want gloss because it wouldn't really match the black on the exp.

I'll take a pic tomorrow

the only non-gloss black on the sport is the roof racks. The A and B pillar blackout is gloss, the wheel black is gloss, the liftgate strip is gloss, the grille is gloss.

Well what I meant was in the sun light the metal flake the org paint has

Got my edge "paint to match handles" today for my 14 white plat ex. See link below. 1 pic is before I took the outside covers off. That is why it is so expensive because you have to buy the whole handle as they dont sell just the covers. I will be getting them painted in the next week so I will post an after pick then.

http://s795.photobucket.com/albums/yy234/zrj20

Read countless comments on this forum about wrapping the chrome handles so I went and bought gloss black vinyl. Looked good everywhere except the edges that but up to the doors - couldn't get the wrinkles out no matter how hard I tried. Figured since the handles were off anyway, I'd have em painted. Luckily, my neighbor dates a painter. Handles are now professionally painted Tuxedo Black as they SHOULD HAVE BEEN FROM FORD. Yay!

I couldn't get the vinyl to fit right at the edges - probably just me being too picky. Anyway, I figured since the handles were off anyway, I'd just get 'em painted and as luck would have it, my neighbor dates a painter. After a couple days, a few beers and a little incident with the lock mechanism falling to the bottom of the door, I am happy to report the handles are Tuxedo Black and look AWESOME! Anyone need 20' a gloss vinyl wrap??

Posted this in another thread, but wanted to update - did NOT have success with wrap, but handles are a breeze to get off and back on (assuming you don't knock the spring to the bottom of the inside of the door like I did...). Don't know how much it is to paint them since my neighbor's boyfriend did them for an iPod, but I think it is well worth it and would be pretty easy to DIY if you know how to paint...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm confused as to how so many members declare the chrome handles not suitable for painting but then several others seem to say they painted them up no problem. Is a professional body shop going to have issues painting the chrome handles?

Back