Installing or Programming Daytime Running lights (DRL) | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installing or Programming Daytime Running lights (DRL)

I have a 2014 Sport coming is 3 weeks. I'm in Canada where DRL's are law. I'm having my dealer do this software programming switch to send the DRL's to the marker/turn signal lights instead of being on the headlights. (On the markers like they would be on the Limited, which comes with factory HID's)

I'm doing this because I'm installing an after market HID kit (from cool bulbs) and want it to function properly without issues and have regular longevity.

To make up for the lack of DRL's through the headlights I've purchased the Philips 4 LED strips and "not" tying that extra control wire so that they will remain on all the time while the motor is running.
This should be interesting just to see if the dealer will/can do this. I'm not sure if the models built for the Canadian market have the same programing. Be sure to report back. Thanks.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is my concern. Since it's a "law" thing in Canada and the liability from tampering with it the way it comes from the factory I may get some resistance from the dealer and/or the technician himself.

My vehicle is arriving on the 20th so by the end of the month I should have an update and will be sure to post my experience in getting the DRL switched. Will also post pics of the HID and the Philip's DRL strip.

Switch my drl controler from a "drl off when headlights on" type to a "drl dim when headlights on" type. Also includes a delayed drl off after motor is turned off. Much better. Get to enjoy the drls even at night.

Can we program things ourselves via obd?

I've got a 14 sport on the way here in Canada and want the daytime running lights switched to the ambers like the hid models. Is there software or a specific module/scanner available to let me do this on my own? (I was going to pick up a scanner anyway) or will I have to fight with my dealer to convince them it can be done as per the instructions on here.

Need to have the dealer do it.

I've got a 14 sport on the way here in Canada and want the daytime running lights switched to the ambers like the hid models. Is there software or a specific module/scanner available to let me do this on my own? (I was going to pick up a scanner anyway) or will I have to fight with my dealer to convince them it can be done as per the instructions on here.
The issue may be whether or not they are allowed by law to change the DRL to the amber lights. Don't forget that in the U.S. they are activating the DRL's on vehicles that did not come with them activated from the factory. I have a Limited and therefore they are on the amber lights but personally I would prefer to have them on the headlights for better visibility.
As blwnsmoke posted, it has to be done by the dealer.

Peter

At some point, someone will come out with a 3rd party IDS tool that allows this. You can buy the tool, and there are a few Chinese knockoffs, but the real thing is major $$$, and the knockoffs are suspect. Ross Tech produces one for the VW platform that is very popular (VCDS). No such luck for Ford.

If it's legal and approved in Canada to have the marker lights as the DRL on the Limited HID model then I don't see why they would resist doing the switch on the other trims. But, you're right...messing with safety features can be a sensitive issue. If you intend to have HID lights you have to take the DRL's off the headlights or there will be problems and loss of longevity in the bulbs.
I have a HID kit on my desk for when my Sport comes in. My dealer has already confirmed they will do the programming switch for me.

Im hoping the dealer will have no issue with it. I don't see why they would to be honest. worst case i will have to check with a bunch of dealers in other cites...i don't even have my vin yet but the hid kit arrives tomorrow lol.

DRL activated

Had previously asked my dealer to activate the DRL and was told by the service writer my vehicle was "not equipped with DRL." While in this week for a rattle and replacement of the rear moon roof glass, I showed them the instructions as posted here on the forum. I now have DRL! Thanks guys!

Nice.

With DRLs on, are only the small LEDs in the front and rear turned on?

or is it the same as just manually turning the lighting switch to the 2nd position: (parking lamps, plate lamps, tail lamps)

Nice.

With DRLs on, are only the small LEDs in the front and rear turned on?

or is it the same as just manually turning the lighting switch to the 2nd position: (parking lamps, plate lamps, tail lamps)
The 2013 has LED lights in the front? I thought only the brake lights were LED. According to previous posts, having the DRL's turned ON by the dealer results in only the amber lights coming on in front.

Peter

The sides of the parking lamps have a short row of tiny LEDs (?) on the rear top length of the lamp, the same as the rear top area of the rear lights.
Hardly bright or large enough as DRLs.

I'm just wondering what turns on as a function of DRL, and is it different from putting the lights on at the 2nd position on the lighting dial.

The sides of the parking lamps have a short row of tiny LEDs (?) on the rear top length of the lamp, the same as the rear top area of the rear lights.
Hardly bright or large enough as DRLs.

I'm just wondering what turns on as a function of DRL, and is it different from putting the lights on at the 2nd position on the lighting dial.
Owner's Guide bulb specification chart only shows exterior LED's for the tail lamp, stop lamps and high-mount stop lamps.
In any case, only the front amber parking lights come on for the DRL. Nothing in the rear.

Peter

Had mine switched on last Saturday for free. No question asked, just told them what to do and BANG! its on. 3 minutes.

DRL activation

Yes, just the amber parking lights come on in the front but I think they're pretty visible. No charge for activation either.

Work for 2014?

Just a quick question, can you turn on DRL's as in this thread on a 2014 Limited with HID's?

Just a quick question, can you turn on DRL's as in this thread on a 2014 Limited with HID's?
On vehicles with factory HID's the DRL's are on the amber lights. That is where mine are as well as all Canadian Limiteds.
Do you have a 2014 Limited? The profile in the left margin just shows '2003'.

Peter

The 2014 is on it's way to me, soon I hope, just asking for confirmation it's been done and still works on a 2014?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 13 limited, used from dealer, DRL headlights come on when I put the car in drive or reverse. Put it in park and the lights go out. This was from the dealer, used with 31K, was told that the car was used by salesmen at the dealership. Have been thinking about adding more LED lights to the front of the car, just not sure what type or placement.

Back