My 2013 Explorer progress (pic heavy!!) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 2013 Explorer progress (pic heavy!!)

R1chard

Reaction score
City, State
Upstate NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer LTD
In mid February I got into my 2013 Explorer since then I have changed a few things.
I have a few more tweaks here and there to add which I will update this thread as they get accomplished.

Specs:

Vehicle: 2013 Ford Explorer Limited 4WD
Color: White platinum metallic tri-coat on medium light stone

Factory options:
Color White platinum metallic tri-coat​
Package: 302A​
Panoramic Sunroof​
20" Polished aluminum wheels​

Day One

The day I picked 'her' up (old ride on the left).
She was neat, clean and polished however in Upstate NY Winter weather that didn't last long.

8477991752_2cd0a36964_c.jpg

The next day:

8621313673_63c813ea2a_c.jpg

8621299609_5e072532bf_c.jpg

Interior Accessories

Since things get dirty and salt is abundant in this area I started off by adding protective items.

Floor Mats

First step was the Ford Explorer specific Husky Liners. At first I was torn between the Weathertech vs Husky brand of these heavy style mats and after all said and done I'm glad I picked the Husky version. They seem to protect the trouble areas (carpeting near the door sill, etc) better. I (highly recommend these for anyone that lives in harsh weather. These are how mine look after ~2.5 months of heavy winter usage. All I've done is periodically hosed them down with water. They fit snug and appear to just belong there.

Driver's side:
8622513814_b7e5d7c64e_c.jpg

Passenger:
8622514854_6e3cfe7717_c.jpg

Rear:
8622517778_021edf247b_c.jpg

8622517296_797a73e053_c.jpg

8621413873_bc01e83227_c.jpg

8622512240_75f2e00145_c.jpg

My next step was more interior protection and security. I followed the mats by the factory sun shade cover, cargo net and inner trunk liner. All of these three items were OEM Ford brand.

OEM Sun Shade Cover

First the sun shade cover and I hate to say this but I find this item VERY poorly designed. The way the sides connect to the glass portion is VERY cheap and a lot of times they just come loose with the slightest resistance on the curtain. The plus of this type of cover is though you can remove and fold it easily to use the 3rd row of seating.

8621412645_f7ef4f35c4_c.jpg

8621412979_bee460988e_c.jpg

8621405157_9cbd94b88c_c.jpg

8621404235_8e0aafd0ce_c.jpg

OEM Cargo Net

I followed the trunk cover with the OEM net. I find this accessory very handy specially with such a large trunk as it allows small items (groceries, etc) to stay in place. The OEM version of this cover works great and the fit and finish is as expected.

8621407517_e15a1cf4f1_c.jpg

Disregard my Upstate NY Winter weather survival attire / items.

8622509574_2c1c33424d_c.jpg

OEM Cargo Liner

The next item I added was the OEM trunk rubberized liner.

This is very handy and again highly recommended because of the high edges throughout all four corners that prevent liquid spills from getting to the carpet. Also find this type of liner allows further protection again scuffs.

Side note, I chose the OEM liner versus the Husky branded one mainly because of aesthetics and I thought the "Explorer" branding looked quite pleasant to the eye.

8621403581_a79bece04f_c.jpg

As you can notice by the scuffs it is certainly doing it's intended job.
8621406109_1fdb827ab3_c.jpg

Exterior Accessories

Rear Bumper Protector

I decided on this item next because how easily it can be to scuff the paint to this area of the bumper. I was VERY surprised Ford decided to make this item an option on a vehicle of this price point.

When I was researching for this item there were only two options. Either the the OEM Ford unit and the unit by a company called BMC Extreme Customs out of NJ. Reviewing both units and cost I went with the aftermarket choice as it made more sense.

How so you may ask?

The OEM unit only covers the TOP portion of the bumper not the ledge which in opinion is the section most likely to get damaged during loading/unloading of cargo.

Other pluses from the aftermarket unit is that it is both wider and longer than the OEM, which means more protection. Installation was a fairly easy process.

Some tips regarding the installation. Please make sure the area is well clean of any dirt / chemicals / contaminants (ex: salt, wax, etc), also this item is much easier to install with two people. Four hands offer the most even pressure to appropriately shape the unit as it contours the bumper.

After all said and done I'm glad I picked the aftermarket choice as it look OEM and very fitting for the car.

The BMC Extreme Customs unit I chose:
8621229187_724ee651f5_c.jpg

8621168233_248d166281_c.jpg

8622328116_3e3ce67697_c.jpg

8621405453_949462ef7c_c.jpg

The Ford OEM unit for comparison
$(KGrHqJ,!jYE1JUCsPlRBNWp7pEGEQ~~_12.JPG

OEM Mud Flaps

For the next step I went with the OEM Ford mud flaps (mud guards whatever you way want to call it) since with a white car EVERY speckle of dirt, dust, etc show like a HUGE stain. The added benefit I noticed from adding these is a HUGE decrease in the "orange spots" in the trunk area as noted by a few other members. Again this is another part that I find hard to believe Ford does not include on a vehicle of this price point.

Ford offers two choices for these guards, ones that contoured and ones that are flat.

I picked the contoured units as they seemed to be a better performance value. The rear units have a Ford logo on them.

Front
8622511180_0681258597_c.jpg

8622510766_549a64fec5_c.jpg

Rear
The rear units have a Ford logo on them.
8622511712_7cf14ff770_c.jpg

Shark Finn Antenna

I had to get this antenna in order to make my car clear the garage entrance otherwise the OEM antenna would get destroyed and potentially damage the mounting bracket. I picked the item from Visual Garage G Shark Fin Antenna with the matching white platinum metallic tri-coat color. The turn around time for this unit was 3 weeks which it was as advertised and that is counting shipping. For reference the item came internationally (Canada) from the other side of the country.

The fit and finish is great and the color was matched perfectly to the OEM color. Installation was a breeze.

8622286128_89775077a9_c.jpg

8622297330_8a253e6508_c.jpg

8621208163_3d4c210123_c.jpg

8622315614_08039c30fb_c.jpg

LED License Plate Bulbs

The next step I added the LED license plate bulbs. I had to go through two different pairs of bulbs to get the look I was aiming for. On the left was a bulb I got from Super Bright LEDs. The website claimed these to be their brightest and strongest units, I was VERY disappointed with the end result. I picked 5000K color yet I ended up with something more green. I thought maybe the unit I got was defective but I got these as pairs the other unit was exactly the same. On the right is the OEM unit for comparison.

8622700432_88b2ee0113_c.jpg

Instead I researched quite a bit and I ended up getting these units from eBay:
"RSI Extreme LED bulbs 5000K Intense White" and they are exactly that, intense. I will let the photos do the talking.

8622734874_153f3a00c0_c.jpg

8621244117_998ef57bb9_c.jpg

8621249259_b8e1eb8fa8_c.jpg

8621057795_9c88eaa747_c.jpg

The results are quite pleasing. The vehicle looks so much more sleek and fine with the crisp white LEDs.

What's Next?

The next items on my list are:

• Tinting both front windows 35%. DONE see below
  • LED side puddle lamp upgrade DONE see below

See update post at the bottom.
Richard

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Keep it up, looking real nice

Looks good!

Looks great!!!

Looking forward to the projector upgrade. I too am not impressed with the quality of the beam(halogens) but assume the hid are not much better. They really lacking a cutoff of anysort.

Looks awesome you gave me some great ideas

My Ltd has that exact cut off? Same pattern!

Looking forward to the projector upgrade. I too am not impressed with the quality of the beam(halogens) but assume the hid are not much better. They really lacking a cutoff of anysort.

I'm pretty sure both the halogens and bi-xenon versions share the same projectors. I drove an XLT and it was just as bad as the factory xenons on my Limited.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Richard

Did you install the molded mud guards yourself?
If so, how did you get them on the rear?
The fronts are easy enough but I cannot take the wheels off sooo...
about that part where I drill and add a screw? some on here have said its not necessary, that the screw you drill yourself isnt really doing much.
What do you think?
Thanks.

Did you install the molded mud guards yourself?
If so, how did you get them on the rear?
The fronts are easy enough but I cannot take the wheels off sooo...
about that part where I drill and add a screw? some on here have said its not necessary, that the screw you drill yourself isnt really doing much.
What do you think?
Thanks.

I had mine installed at the dealer as the rear wheels had to be removed to access the area. The additional plus is also that the dealer charged me a VERY reasonable (~$38) amount for doing all four corners.

From what I gathered the screws adds quite a bit of strength of power to the units so I would recommend installing them.

05/03/2013 UPDATE

Tinting both front windows 35%

8703702875_6fef72e458_c.jpg

8703779437_91a2b0a8e2_c.jpg

Bonus photo
8704911248_b37df0a629_c.jpg

LED side puddle lamp upgrade

I decided to do this small tweak myself and it turned out to be easier than I thought. I picked these Philips festoon 4000K colored LEDs right out of Amazon. For reference the size needed is 30mm however I'm pretty sure 31mm would work just fine in the assembly.

41vjad41mpl.jpg

I intentionally picked the 4000K color (a soft white) versus 6000K (available) because I wasn't looking for anything blueish for the puddle lamps.

They seemed very high quality in comparison to most LEDs you get online. One of the neat things I noticed is that the actual LED is encapsulated in a protective little box clear cover instead of being exposed.

842277bb00fbeps1000.jpg

The outcome is very bright in comparison to the halogen bulbs they replaced.
Another plus is the soft dimming feature remains intact which I really wanted to keep.

I will try to get more photos as these are difficult to capture for a photo.

8703672025_8ffe727d2a.jpg

8703793275_2936d5604b.jpg

Bonus photo I took this morning of a gorgeous Upstate NY sunrise.

8703671357_1c818f6799_b.jpg

Next step from here on is to install LaminX fog light covers. I gathered the fog lights in the Explorer are made of glass therefor are prone to easily cracking with highway driving (rocks/chips etc).

Stay tuned for more updates.
Richard

Enjoy!
Richard

Richard,
I have the exact same EX and I gotta say I have some ideas now - 35% tint coming today. I already did the mudguards and have the rear bumper guard and weathertech trunk mat coming in a few days. Wish I had seen the aftermarket bumper cover you got prior to me ordering.

I was thinking of just changing the HID bulbs to something a bit whiter. What do you think?

YOURS LOOOK FANTASTIC!!!

nicely documented changes. Great photos.

Wow

Excellent presentation! I love this forum!! I checked and found the Phillips 30mm led's ,but it says it is not compatible. Could you please share the part #? Thanks,

Larry

Richard,
I have the exact same EX and I gotta say I have some ideas now - 35% tint coming today. I already did the mudguards and have the rear bumper guard and weathertech trunk mat coming in a few days. Wish I had seen the aftermarket bumper cover you got prior to me ordering.

I was thinking of just changing the HID bulbs to something a bit whiter. What do you think?

YOURS LOOOK FANTASTIC!!!

@roamingphantom: Thanks for the feedback.

In order to get the bulbs to something a bit whiter you will be out of luck.

Currently there is not an option for whiter color unless you want to risk getting inferior quality bulbs.

Ford uses D3S bulbs for their stock HID setups and really the only alternative is to replace the stock D3S projectors and bulbs with D2S style since they are more mainstream.
Not only you will benefit for better bulbs but also better output however it will be a very involved process to achieve it.

I noticed one of the members here has already gone that route. (see his thread here -> Link )

Best,
Richard

@langla4: thanks!

@ttownlarry: Larry, The part number of the LEDs I used is

• Philips 129404000KX1 XtremeVision 30mm 12V Festoon LED Interior/Exterior Retrofit Bulb Amazon Direct Link

By the way after I ordered mine (supposedly I got the last 2 of a batch, then it went out of stock) they cost about $9/each but I see now that the price has gone up to $14.75/each.

Regarding fitting, I believe Amazon lists these as incompatible to our vehicle because these puddle side lamps are not meant to be user replaceable (as noted by the process to get to them).

However as you can tell from my install they worked just fine. I also believe a 31mm (vs the 30mm Phillips) festoon bulb will also work just fine there.

Thanks!
Richard

Great Work

thank you for sharing your great ideas.

Question: Philips 129404000KX1 XtremeVision 30/31mm 12V Festoon LEDs are fit for both Side and Tail Lamps?

Thx

thank you for sharing your great ideas.

Question: Philips 129404000KX1 XtremeVision 30/31mm 12V Festoon LEDs are fit for both Side and Tail Lamps?

Thx

Those "festoon" style bulbs are only for the side mirror puddle lamps, for the side and tail lamps you need a completely different style bulb.

Looks awesome. Quick question - how many LED were in your lic. plate bulbs? 5 or 9? I was looking on Ebay for the units that you mentioned.

Thanks.

Darren

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks awesome. Quick question - how many LED were in your lic. plate bulbs? 5 or 9? I was looking on Ebay for the units that you mentioned.

Thanks.

Darren

The units I used for the license plate have since failed with one being completely out and the other with a random flicker. When that happened after much research I decided to get PUTCO branded LEDs and not only they are brighter (yes even brighter) but they are a more crisp white color. They are also a much better finished (fit and finish) product than the original one they replaced.

The ones I have are PUTCO model #280002W (W stands for white)
111161823-260x260-0-0_putco+putco+280002w+type+b+white+led+stick+bulb+pa.jpg

Totally worth it, and they have been flawless ever since installation.

Back