My 2013 Explorer progress (pic heavy!!) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 2013 Explorer progress (pic heavy!!)

Those "festoon" style bulbs are only for the side mirror puddle lamps, for the side and tail lamps you need a completely different style bulb.

Thank you Richard.

Just one Question, can i replace the Puddle light bulb to LED myself? because i have seen websites selling the puddle lights with core! the whole assembly (Plug and Play).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you Richard.

Just one Question, can i replace the Puddle light bulb to LED myself? because i have seen websites selling the puddle lights with core! the whole assembly (Plug and Play).

If you want my honest opinion, do it yourself and you will come out cheaper yet yield the same / better results.

You will need a Dremel tool, some epoxy (or your favorite type of water tight glue), one flat blade screw driver and the LEDs if you chose to do it yourself. The overall modification takes almost no time.

This is the post that I used when "Daytime Bright Lites" (the guy here who sells the lights all done).

So your modded lights are $75 PLUS you give up the original light assemblies as well?

The replacements bulb assemblies are ~$23 a piece (OEM new!) and say $5 for several 31mm festoon LEDs.

That's $51, say $5 shipping... $56 and you have TWO sets of lights (the original ones and now the modified ones). Sounds to me that you're better off doing this "mod" on your own than the Daytime Bright Lites choice.

Thanks for the thread R1chard!

This forum and your thread in particular helped me decide to not go for the OEM mats and bumper protector as part of the deal on our 2014.

We picked up our 2014 Deep Impact Blue XLT on Monday. BMC bumper protector came from Amazon yesterday and istalled. Husky mats from Amazon arrive today. Only other mods on my short list are Hella XY (yellow) fog lamp bumps for reduced glare (at least to my eyes) and to debadge the hatch.

Is there any particluar reason you wanted have the LED lamps on the license plate?

J_Westy

Thanks for the thread R1chard!

Is there any particluar reason you wanted have the LED lamps on the license plate?

J_Westy

There were two schools of thought for replacing the license place LEDs lamps.

First, they aid the camera while backing up because they shine quite bright and secondly they make the car look more slick (crisp color). I figured since they are such an easy replacement part why not. :)

You take really nice photos, your Ex mods look great.

There were two schools of thought for replacing the license place LEDs lamps.

First, they aid the camera while backing up because they shine quite bright and secondly they make the car look more slick (crisp color). I figured since they are such an easy replacement part why not. :)

also correct me if im wrong; but dont LEDs generally have a much greater life and reduce power consumption?

You take really nice photos, your Ex mods look great.

Thanks, I wanted to keep my modifications to a minimum.
Regarding the photos....... photography is a great hobby of mine.

also correct me if im wrong; but dont LEDs generally have a much greater life and reduce power consumption?

Indeed on both accounts unless they are units where corners were taken (such as the original license plate LEDs I obtained via eBay).

The Three "T"s of DIY Mods

Hi guys, I definately do not discourage DIY mod projects. Heck, that's how I got started in my automotive lighting business. Here is a link to the reply I made to on a similar thread. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3128711&postcount=35

F-150ForumSig_zpsba618efe800x130_zpsd22fbe4f.jpg

Well done on the lighting mods. Gonna get those LED license plate lights on your recommendation... Thanks! Probably will end up doin the puddlelights too. Is there a reason why you didn't match your puddlelights (4000k) to the crisp bright white (6000k) of the license plate lights?

Also I was wondering how the 35% tint looks next to the factory rear tint... do they match up well? I thought I had read that the factory rear windows were tinted at 20%. I'd like to line up them as close as possible. What brand and type of tint did you use?

Thanks for sharing! Pretty pics. Makes me wanna go to New York... till I saw the snow ;)

Well done on the lighting mods. Gonna get those LED license plate lights on your recommendation... Thanks! Probably will end up doin the puddlelights too. Is there a reason why you didn't match your puddlelights (4000k) to the crisp bright white (6000k) of the license plate lights?

Yes, I specifically wanted a more warm white for the puddle lamps.

Also I was wondering how the 35% tint looks next to the factory rear tint... do they match up well? I thought I had read that the factory rear windows were tinted at 20%. I'd like to line up them as close as possible. What brand and type of tint did you use?

The fronts are a lighter tint but I specifically chose it that way since I drive quite a bit at night. If I recall correctly I believe I picked 31% for the front windows.

Thanks for sharing! Pretty pics. Makes me wanna go to New York... till I saw the snow ;)

Not so bad right now, we hit a whooping 18.5'F here tonight.

I just want brighter headlights without any wiring or baking the headlights in an oven, or using a Dremel...

Are there any brighter stock bulbs that are any brighter than the included bulbs?
Even a little bit is fine...the stock headlights are anemic.
Anything can wash them out.

I can see great up and down the sides of the street, but I can barely see the street...

I just want brighter headlights without any wiring or baking the headlights in an oven, or using a Dremel...

Are there any brighter stock bulbs that are any brighter than the included bulbs?
Even a little bit is fine...the stock headlights are anemic.
Anything can wash them out.

I can see great up and down the sides of the street, but I can barely see the street...

For non-HID equipped Explorers, the manual states the bulb used is HB3 (9005), you should be able to easily use 9011 HIR (not HID) bulbs.

http://store.candlepower.com/9011.html

Nice work on everything. What is the exact part number for the aftermarket REAR bumper protector? Can't seem to find the exact one you show in the pictures.

I went to the web site and only see one that has octagons on it and not the front to back lines like the one you purchased. Let me know. Thanks.

For the love of our cars....great photos and thanks for sharing. I especially like the sundown pictures.

Nice work on everything. What is the exact part number for the aftermarket REAR bumper protector? Can't seem to find the exact one you show in the pictures.

I went to the web site and only see one that has octagons on it and not the front to back lines like the one you purchased. Let me know. Thanks.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Just thought I'd let you know that the last post by R1chard was September 22, 2016 so I'm not sure if he is still around. Designs change over time so it might be best to contact that company and see if what you are looking for is still available.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Just thought I'd let you know that the last post by R1chard was September 22, 2016 so I'm not sure if he is still around. Designs change over time so it might be best to contact that company and see if what you are looking for is still available.

Peter

Thanks Peter. Will absolutely do that.

Hey guys for what ever its worth... I put on a black vinyl protector on my 15 sport and opted to go with the one that goes over the edge by like 1/4 as to protect the edge from getting dinged. I felt that is where the most of the ding happen( or at least did on my expedition) and I have not been sorry. My protector has been amazing in saving the back edge .. It is not the ford OEM one.

Hey guys for what ever its worth... I put on a black vinyl protector on my 15 sport and opted to go with the one that goes over the edge by like 1/4 as to protect the edge from getting dinged. I felt that is where the most of the ding happen( or at least did on my expedition) and I have not been sorry. My protector has been amazing in saving the back edge .. It is not the ford OEM one.

Provide a link to the one you used if you wouldn't mind. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's a design change. They only make the octagon ones now.

Back