Electric power steering pump | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Electric power steering pump

A/C discharge manifold

A significant problem will be relocating the A/C discharge manifold and hose.
ACManifold.jpg

One possibility is a custom bent and welded manifold with the refrigerant fitting located so it is accessed thru the existing round hole in the radiator support frame.
ACManifold2.jpg

However, that may be a possible location for a very small power steering reservoir. Another possibility is to locate a custom manifold at the rear of the A/C compressor. Either way, a longer and rerouted discharge hose will be needed.
ACDischHose.jpg

I will try to find a local A/C shop experienced in custom installations and discuss options.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well since your going supercharged did you decide to give up on this idea?

Still planned

Well since your going supercharged did you decide to give up on this idea?

Absolutely not. Just later. The electric power steering pump possibility is part of the reason I'm upgrading my alternator (220 amp) and charge cable to 1/0 and installing new battery terminals with four wire connection capability. The alternator charge cable/starter/battery junction box/battery wiring harness is being reworked to provide more room for the electric pump and hoses. It's also part of the reason I removed the A/C manifold assembly and will have a custom one fabricated. And finally, it's part of the reason I'm locating the intercooler pump in the difficult to access location above the passenger side front body mount.
Pump1a.jpg

I'm hoping that by the time I actually complete the M90 installation a suitable 100 amp PWM controller will be available.

Good. I'm glad to hear this. I heard something some where that the power steering pump on the 5.0 uses about 50 hp to run.

very doubtful

Good. I'm glad to hear this. I heard something some where that the power steering pump on the 5.0 uses about 50 hp to run.

I measured on the dyno the power required to drive the A/C compressor. I hard wired the compressor to run continuously and the peak horsepower dropped by 20 rwhp as I recall. I'm confident the power steering pump requires less power than the A/C compressor although I've never measured it. The max load on the engine probably occurs during parking.

potential pwm controller

While searching for a radiator electric fan controller I happened on one that may be suitable for controlling an electric power steering pump. It is made in the U.S.A., incorporates pulse width modulation (PWM) with "soft start" to reduce current spike and motor stress, and is enclosed appropriately to be located in the engine compartment.
125AmpPWM.jpg

I asked the seller several general questions and he is very responsive and willing to share technical interface data. The electrical connections are different than most PWM motor controllers. The high current positive supply is connected to the fan motor instead of the controller. The other fan lead is connected to the controller. The other controller high current connection goes to ground. The advantage is less wiring but requires both motor leads be isolated from ground.

Auto Cool sells a 40 amp, 85 amp and 125 amp fan controller. The 40 amp unit controls one fan while the 85 and 125 amp unit each control two fans. I think the Fan A and B connections can be wired in parallel allowing control of one fan with twice the current capacity. For the 125 amp unit the outside dim are: 4.5 wide, 4.7 deep including the base, and 2.3 inches from base to top not including the control knob that is 0.6 inches tall.

Here's a link to the ebay listing: RADIATOR FAN/TEMP CONTROL 125 AMP - FAN RPM FOR CONSTANT MOTOR TEMPERATAURE

Has there been any update to this project? I have recently become fascinated with the idea of EPS for an explorer...

I haven't done anything on it and probably won't. I finished the M90 installation and then purchased a 2003 Explorer Centennial (100th anniversary of Ford). I'm in the process of installing a rebuilt Aviator DOHC V8 engine with Eagle crankshaft, forged rods and forged pistons. When I finish that I'll probably sell the 2000 Sport. At my age I need to reduce my heirs' burden of disposing of my odd ball projects. I'll probably focus on gardening and politics.

Back