Lowering the Explorer | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lowering the Explorer

Looking good!

I haven't gone to get an alignment so I'm likely in the same boat as you.

Like the look of the wheels with the spacers. Can you let me know which spacers you used? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Love the look of the lowered Sport.

It is definitely hugging the road better.

My issue is with getting camber correct.

I am -.8 in both fronts without any correction yet. I cannot find Camber bolts. SPC Alignment does not make bolts for Explorer.

Rears are -1.4 and -1.5 at maximum adjustment.

Three questions:

1. Does anyone know where to get Camber Bolts for our Explorers?

2. My alignment guy said I could try rotating the top of the strut 90*.
Currently the dimple is facing outward. Does anyone know if rotating the dimple to the inside will reduce camber or add camber?

3. What is everyone doing to fix rear camber? It is a bit much for acceptable tire wear. Handles great though.

1. one member found some before, but they weren't specific for our explorer and were a shorter bolt that required a jamb nut instead of a full size factory nut, not the safest looking setup IMO.

2. Very interested to hear the results if that would help, or what it would affect.

3. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=394580&highlight=rear+camber

Confirmed my springs (Explorer version H&R) arrive Tuesday. Will be installed the following Tuesday. Just for an update.

Cheers.

Where did you find the H&R Explorer springs? Tire Rack has the Flex ones for $243

Congrats on your mods. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Why such small pics, can't really see much!

Use the 'IMG' code in photobucket to load big pics.

Here are some pics of my lowered Explorer

I used the Flex Springs.....not the Edge springs

I have not used a Camber Bolt as I have not aligned it yet....going today.

Will take some measurements when I get a moment.

Mods List Incudes:

Lund 93 Tune
Magnaflow Exhaust
Airaid intake with custom hood seal
Opening cut in grill
HID's in headlights and fogs 6000K CoolBulbs
Front Plate Delete
Window tint....20% on fronts and Limo from 2nd row back
LEDs: Front Maps, Visors, 2nd and 3rd row dome (no moonroof), Glove box, License Plates, and Rear cargo light
H&R Ford Flex Springs
1" wheel spacers front and rear
Weathertech floor mats
3M Vinyl Door Handle wrap
Radar hard wired

Where did you find the H&R Explorer springs? Tire Rack has the Flex ones for $243

Special order through the Tirerack.com

I hope this helps. It will be 2 weeks until they arrive. Pics to follow. 18% SunTeck Carbon Series tint and graphics were completed yesterday.

Darren

Special order through the Tirerack.com

I hope this helps. It will be 2 weeks until they arrive. Pics to follow. 18% SunTeck Carbon Series tint and graphics were completed yesterday.

Darren

Wonder if there is any difference between the Flex and Explorer springs...

Looks good:chug:

I copied your photos into the first post and made this thread a sticky:thumbsup:

Looking good!

I haven't gone to get an alignment so I'm likely in the same boat as you.

Like the look of the wheels with the spacers. Can you let me know which spacers you used? Thanks

Thanks for the comments. The spacers are 1" front and rear. Bought all four of them on EBay for I believe the price was $149.

Supposedly the exp. Ones are lower, but the flex ones already make it look pretty slammed

Actually, the rates of drop are based on the vehicle they were designed for. Given the Explorer sits higher, I think they will be comparable to one another. When I spoke with H&R, they explained the bigger difference would be engineering/handling as they were made explicitly for the Explorer and tested using an Explorer. That being said, I suspect the difference will be negligible.

We will know shortly.

Darren

Actually, the rates of drop are based on the vehicle they were designed for. Given the Explorer sits higher, I think they will be comparable to one another. When I spoke with H&R, they explained the bigger difference would be engineering/handling as they were made explicitly for the Explorer and tested using an Explorer. That being said, I suspect the difference will be negligible.

We will know shortly.

Darren

That makes sense, I just want to have someone post a full confirmation before I order. I'd definitely order the explorer spec springs if they don't sit lower than the flex ones.

Hopefully that happens soon, I'll order the same day somebody posts measurements lol

Great logic. I am just awaiting shipping.

get them yet?! I'm anxiously awaiting to lower our sport!

Good morning. Great timing as literally, I got a txt from my Speedshop yesterday and they just came in. I plan to pick them up this coming weekend and I will be calling for an appointment on Tuesday evening to have my dealership install them and align - they built in this shop time in my purchase price of my vehicle.

I will have pics up within a week. I will post pics of the springs, with measurements of the actual units this weekend for anyone interested. These have been almost 2.5 weeks coming and were a Special Order from Tirerack.com - not sure why other than they are a new part number from H&R.

SS where are you, Toronto?
What dealer

I am in Napanee actually, and bought my Sport in Trenton at Lange and Fetter Ford.

Thanks! Please take measurements before and after so we can have a direct comparison on your ride. Measure from the center of the centercap to the edge of the fender.

Will do - promise! :) With pics of each stage.

im a little late to this thread, so sorry if this question has been answered. Has to do with the exhaust.
Was your magnaflow exhaust a direct attachment? also, did they resolve the tow package issue on the sport?
Im looking to upgrade but found that cgs motorsports was the only option so far.
thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update - mechanic is on holidays this week as well. My appointment is for a week from Tuesday to be lowered and aligned. I will take initial measurements this weekend and post them. Measurements will be from my garage where the centre bays are table flat as that is where my hoist is located. Info. to follow tomorrow.

TGIF!

Back