• Register Today It's free!

I have a roofing nail in my tire!

LukerDooker

Reaction score
City, State
N.E.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013Limited 301A TuxBlack
Roads around here are terrible, filled with debris and pieces of who knows what.

It looks like a roofing nail - wide head.
Running 20" Hankooks with polished rims.

I have not tried to pull it out, its not leaking air. Roofing nail may be short - maybe can just pull it out.
Tires still new, less than 5k miles.

I dont want to leave it but not sure what to do - local shop or dealer?
Both are pretty close but dealer will be seeing green...:roll:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you would rather not do it yourself, then any tire shop or Mom and Pop shop should be able to repair it. Good luck!

I cant pull the wheel and using a plug requires some strength and leverage to get it in - need the right tools to get it in well.

The little hand tool plug kit in Autozone etc wont do it,
I have tried with past cars.

I'm just afraid of I pull it out the nail and its long - air will gush out...

I can just go to a local shop - very busy, clean place, many newer cars in there daily, they can do it maybe just on the rack without pulling tire(?)

The nail is in flush and straight, it must be short...

A tire shop is going to want to pull the tire off the rim. They will install a patch or a plug/patch if it went through.

If its within 1" of the edge of the tire most shops won't even touch it.

We pick up a nail or screw once every couple months.. I keep a spare pair of tires on rims for the mustang (directional) and a full size spare at the house for the honda. That way if I pick something up in a tire, or a tire goes flat etc I can toss on a different rim and get the other tire fixed at my leisure since I will still have a spare in the vehicle.

Now, the Explorer just gets plugs since I can do that in less time than it takes to put on the spare.. I pull out whatever is in and if it leaks I use the reamer to make the hole bigger and then put in the plug. The Explorer spends more time off-road than on-road so I'm fine with that... If your running higher pressure tires, or carrying weight etc. I'd get it done right, with a plug patch.

~Mark

Roads around here are terrible, filled with debris and pieces of who knows what.

It looks like a roofing nail - wide head.
Running 20" Hankooks with polished rims.

I have not tried to pull it out, its not leaking air. Roofing nail may be short - maybe can just pull it out.
Tires still new, less than 5k miles.

I dont want to leave it but not sure what to do - local shop or dealer?
Both are pretty close but dealer will be seeing green...:roll:
If it has punctured the tire, the only way to properly repair it is to use a combination of a plug and a patch inside the tire. The patch will help to restore the air containment of the inner tire while the plug will prevent water from reaching the steel belts and body core. A patched tire also will affect the original 'speed rating' of the tire.

Peter

I've been using a basic plug repair kit for years, and fixed many tires without future issues. Sometimes it's possible to pull the nail out, and install a plug without removing the wheel. Could you post a picture of the tire with the nail inside?

Let a shop pull the wheel, install a proper patch inside, and remount. An hour or two of time and $30.

We have always had good luck with Discount Tire patching our tires for free, whether we bought the exact tire there or not (we have purchased a good number of tires over the years from them and that may make the difference).

I pulled it out

I pulled it out. It was loose, in the past a nail in good and tight was long and for sure a repair.

It was a tiny 1/2" roof nail with a wide head in the middle of a line of tread, but didnt pass through the bottom of the tread.

I got 1 nice flash pic and I can see right into the hole, which is smooth and still sealed.

Nice!

wow.....talk about making a mountain out of a mole hill...haha

glad it worked out.....lol :thumbsup:

:salute:

I'm with you tenny i have never seen so much talk over a nail in a tire. I cant wait and see when a paper clip gets stuck on a tire...!lol nice day to all.

ahh cman gang it was touch and go for a while...

These 20" tires are pretty thin and to see a nail that looked so large from the top, and I was driving it to the tire place, and back because they blew me off, last thing anyone needs on the first real cold 35* day is a shredded Hankook and damaged rim.
(...if it was a large nail, ...but it wasnt...)

...Or a scratched rim and damaged sensor from someone throwing it on a wheel spinner to fix it, with typical bravado...

From the look the tire gut gave my car as I pulled in, I'm so glad I didnt need it repaired.

Straying from the topic a bit - I thought we had run flats.

Not on mine, that's a feature that's not cheap-you would know for sure if you had it as you would pay a premium for those.
Its not mentioned in the manual anywhere(?)

Straying from the topic a bit - I thought we had run flats.
No run flats unless of course you want to keep diving on a flat tire.;)
I may be wrong, but I believe that, these days, vehicles with 'run flat' tires do not have a spare.

Peter

Back