• Register Today It's free!

Explorer 2nd row console install

Azazell64

Reaction score
City, State
Saskatchewan, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
I believe there was a thread on here somewhere about installing a 2nd row console in a vehicle with 2nd row buckets that was not ordered with the console option. Anyway I can no longer seem to find this thread. If anybody can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. The only thing I really need off of it is to see if guys are just using two mounting locations or all six.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

look at post 17 and 18 in this thread - hope that helps !

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355048

We chose to pass one a sport that had the console as we didn't want it so the kids can get to the 3rd row easier...

but may look into the walmart temporary one if I can find it !!!

That was actually the thread I remember looking at, I couldn't remember if he had said that he used the holes or not. Well then, I guess my installation in my Sport is complete :D Thanks for finding that for me, I appreciate it.

glad to help !

Really insterested in getting a 2nd row console for the sport for long trips. I don't want to drop the 1k for the limited console. I have read that certain years of Ford Flex will drop right in. I was snooping around the Flex forums and apparantley certain years of the Ford Freestyle will fit the Flex. Has anyone done a successful 2nd row console install on the 2013 Sport?

In addition to that, the refrigerated one from the Flex would be really awesome!

if you think about it, it really doesn't matter if the mounting points are the same...
you can always make an adapter plate to bolt down to the floor
and drill holes in the plate to adapt to whatever console you get :)

good luck

I got a refrigerated center console out of a totaled 2012 Flex and put it in my 2013 Explorer Sport. It fit like a glove. Everything lined up. I have yet to run the wiring to power of the fridge. Cost me $300 shipped. A center row console is a must have with 2nd row captain's chairs in my opinion.

I got a refrigerated center console out of a totaled 2012 Flex and put it in my 2013 Explorer Sport. It fit like a glove. Everything lined up. I have yet to run the wiring to power of the fridge. Cost me $300 shipped. A center row console is a must have with 2nd row captain's chairs in my opinion.

Where from? eBay?

I'm very interested Jamers99, please let us know where you got the console from and if you just had to pop off the plastic cover and mount it. Pics would be awesome!

The plastic cover just had 2 bolts holding it down. After removing the plastic cover you use the same 2 bolts to anchor the rear of the console in the same holes. There are 2 holes predrilled in the front to anchor the front however the carpet is covering them. I had to lay the console in place and mark where the front holes should be. I carefully cut out small 1 inch holes in the carpet and the predrilled holes for the bolts were right there where they needed to be. I did have to get 2 additional properly treaded bolts from Home Depot since the console requires 4 total.

I found the rear console by searching salvage yards on car-part.com. I searched on 2010 and newer Flex and 2011 and newer Explorer for a Console. The search only brings up front consoles but if they have a front console then they may very well have a rear console if 2nd row bucket seats were included. I printed the results and called every salvage yard that had a charcoal console. I eventually found one that had a recently totaled Flex with a rear console. They e-mailed me some pics and the price was right. The search results were 4 pages and I probably called 30 shops but I found a few.

Thanks! I'm sure there are a lot of us on here that needed this info. Hopefully I have luck with my local junk yards. The Flex console even flips backwards right? Do you have any problems with people getting to the 3rd row w/ your console installed? I have a car seat installed on one of the capt's chairs so I'm guessing people are just going to have to push the remaining seat forward a tad.

Thanks again for the info!

The Flex console is identity to the Explorer console. Adding a console would affect installation of a car seat. Access to the 3rd usually requires flipping down one of the bucket seats how my kids often just climb over the 2nd row middle console.

Has anyone seen the new 14 Explorer Sport models? If you build one on the Ford website, it now gives you the option to add one of these for the second row.

Anyone get one of these or know where we can find one? I would love to have a center console as well in my 13 Sport, and seeing as how a Flex console will fir, I will try and find one of these as well.

Has anyone seen the new 14 Explorer Sport models? If you build one on the Ford website, it now gives you the option to add one of these for the second row.

Anyone get one of these or know where we can find one? I would love to have a center console as well in my 13 Sport, and seeing as how a Flex console will fir, I will try and find one of these as well.

I ordered and received a 2014 Sport with the center console. It was less than $100 on xplan pricing. With the second row bucket seats that don't have arm rests, we felt the console was the way to go and provide cup holders up high for the kids, plus storage.

Maybe by now Ford Parts has them for sale as a whole part instead of pieces?

I bought a 2014 Sport w/o the 2nd row console and after much searching found that Ford was now shipping them for $385 as a part. My problem is when the console arrived it came with instructions for a 2011 model and I can't get the console to seat properly. I now realize that a good chunk of carpet has to be removed but am hesitant until I can see some kind of diagram or spec sheet or even a photo of what it looks like with the carpet out. Can anyone help?

I ordered mine w/o a center console and I am no regretting it, too.
I understood these consoles to be +/-$1,500.00, tho?
For $400 I would consider it and I will watch this thread.

Sorry I cannot help on the instructions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back