How to: - Explorer Sport EB convert to vent to atmosphere with factory blow off valves | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Explorer Sport EB convert to vent to atmosphere with factory blow off valves

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
I just did mine the other day and like others I love the sound. The one thing that I didnt different to make it eaiser was found some plugs to plug the hose vs totally removing it. The only reason I did this was in the event I needed to put them back on all I have to do is remove the plugs and reattach the hose. This only takes about 2 mins to complete. The main deciding factor was being lazy and didnt want to remove the rear hose as it was gonna be a pia to get to. With the plugs I didnt have to remove or rotate anything to complete. Different way of doing it but achieved the same effect. BTW I purchased the plugs at LOWES in the plumbing department, they were just over a $1.00 or both.

What is the part number for the plugs?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ive already thrown away the bags so Im not sure what the part # is, sorry. Easy to find in the store though, asked the employee in plumbing for a plug for the specific size and took me straight to them.

Ive already thrown away the bags so Im not sure what the part # is, sorry. Easy to find in the store though, asked the employee in plumbing for a plug for the specific size and took me straight to them.

Oh okay. Do you remember the size offhand?

Part number 351830. I believe they are 1 inch.

I tried the prt number on lowes and it brought up paint? That's the correct number not sure why it doesn't show up on their site

I couldn't find them in Lowe's, so I ordered them on eBay.

PN is 6448K86

I just did mine the other day and like others I love the sound. The one thing that I didnt different to make it eaiser was found some plugs to plug the hose vs totally removing it. The only reason I did this was in the event I needed to put them back on all I have to do is remove the plugs and reattach the hose. This only takes about 2 mins to complete. The main deciding factor was being lazy and didnt want to remove the rear hose as it was gonna be a pia to get to. With the plugs I didnt have to remove or rotate anything to complete. Different way of doing it but achieved the same effect. BTW I purchased the plugs at LOWES in the plumbing department, they were just over a $1.00 or both.

Had the plan to do this mod this weekend on my 2014 Ex Sport now that my K&N has arrived and I had some work to do under the hood. My question is whether someone could post before and after pics with the hose left on and how the final look turned out as when I look at my bay, I am having some difficulty clarifying the process.

I think I want to leave the hose as well for ease of reconnection as needed (roadtrip with the g/f - LOL). As for parts, I presume I only need the two 1" caps and clamps for them. There are two BOV on a 2014 - correct?

Could someone assist with some details, and preferably pics on an Explorer?

Thanks very much.

Darren

Had the plan to do this mod this weekend on my 2014 Ex Sport now that my K&N has arrived and I had some work to do under the hood. My question is whether someone could post before and after pics with the hose left on and how the final look turned out as when I look at my bay, I am having some difficulty clarifying the process.

I think I want to leave the hose as well for ease of reconnection as needed (roadtrip with the g/f - LOL). As for parts, I presume I only need the two 1" caps and clamps for them. There are two BOV on a 2014 - correct?

Could someone assist with some details, and preferably pics on an Explorer?

Thanks very much.

Darren

Not sure if these are correct but I am probably going to stop today and see if these work on my 2013 Sport.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_54562-322-351830_0__?productId=3456482&Ntt=insert+plug&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dinsert%2Bplug&facetInfo=

Those are the ones I bought as well. Tried to do it last weekend realized that the back BOV is MUCH harder to get the hose off then the front. Anyone have any tips or tools they used on that back clamp??

Those are the ones I bought as well. Tried to do it last weekend realized that the back BOV is MUCH harder to get the hose off then the front. Anyone have any tips or tools they used on that back clamp??

I personally only did the front one as it was easy and still sounds good. I just left the rear one factory.

Hose clamp tool....makes it a piece of cake

SK_HoseClampPliers_TM.jpg

I found after getting in there repeatedly it's much easier to undo the hose clamp on the top of the turbo (it's fixed to the rubber hose so it won't move) and the hose clamp on top of the motor and the bolt. Once you do this you can wiggle the pipe around easily and get to what you want. For the person who wants sport pictures it's the same exact setup between SHO/Flex/Explorer Sport/Lincoln MKT and MKS. One picture fits all for that part of the plumbing :)

If you do not have that tool, what did you gents use? Also, dumb question but I assure I need to remove the plastic engine cover and if so, does it pull off or are there bolts holding it in place.

The cover on my 5.0 just snapped in place but I wanted to make sure before I attempt to remove it.

Cheers.

remove the oil fill cap, and the cover pops off.

Never even knew that existed.

yup, one of the greatest tools ever too! Even if you think you'll only use it once, BUY IT! Worth every penny, and some day down the road you or a buddy will need to use it again, and you'll be so glad it's in the toolbox. Makes those PITA clamps a piece of cake!

does anyone else's BOV's vent way too often?

I can barely put my big toe on the gas pedal on my SHO and let off and the BOV's go off. It almost makes me want to put my hoses back on...sometimes it can be quite annoying.

I just unplugged the hose from the front bov and put a pipe plug into the hose. Will there be any issues leaving the rear bov as it came from the factory? Will it be any louder with both vented to atmosphere? All stock no tune yet.

I just unplugged the hose from the front bov and put a pipe plug into the hose. Will there be any issues leaving the rear bov as it came from the factory? Will it be any louder with both vented to atmosphere? All stock no tune yet.

This is fine, the recirculating is just to stop sound. If one is recirculating and the other is vented it just won't be quite as loud.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

take the extra 30 seconds of effort and do both, rather than half azzed lol

Back