Adrenalin Fog Light Info | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adrenalin Fog Light Info

Skud51

Reaction score
Hi All,

After having one of my fog bulbs burn out I've been searching for some decent (keyword "decent") replacement bulbs. Most places (even the manual) list the bulb as a 9145 (or H10) bulb just like all the other Sport Trac models, however the bulb is NOT the same.

Here is what I've found so far:

1) The bulb is actually an incandescent (not even halogen) bulb rated at 24 watts.

2) There are various different part numbers for this bulb: 5202, PS24W, H16, and 9009 are all the ones I've come across. Most people think there are the same bulb, but the H16/9009 only share the same base.

3) The PS24W and the H16/9009 bulb are NOT the same wattage, but they do use the same base and will fit in the housing. The H16/9009 is a 37 watt halogen bulb, but people have been melting their housings with 35 watt bulbs (35-watt HIDs specifically, check out the Camaro forums).

4) It seems a number of manufacturers are using this same housing and bulb in their vehicles. So far I've seen it used in:
- A number of '09-up Chevy products (Avalanche, Tahoe, Acadia, Camaro)
- Dodge/Jeep is also using it
- 07 - 09 Mustang GT500 and '07-up Ford Escape

5) The OEM/factory PS24W bulb has a round, bulbous shape to it, almost like those fancy vanity lights used in a bathroom. The H16/9009 bulbs are more short and narrow like a traditional Hxx or 90xx halogen bulb. Websites seem to use these terms interchangeably even though the wattage is different.

This is a PS24W bulb:
Photo%20653.jpg

This is an H16/9009 bulb
pic181905.jpg

I've been looking into something better than the stock ones (hey, who isn't) and the only two options I've come across would be to replace the whole units with ones from ebay that say they use an H3 bulb. The H3 bulb is a super common and easy to get bulb in various wattages and colours. However, the most common wattage for the H3 is 35w and 55w. If the stock housings are melting with 35w HIDs then I don't see how these aftermarket ones are any different. I have some questions into the Ebay sellers on this.

Here are the lights on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/29063786580...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_5623wt_1396

To make matters even more confusing, look at this product here. It's a fog light for a 2010 escape. It's the same housing and SHOULD use the same bulb, but as you can see from the pictures, the bulb is NOT the typical PS24W bulb, but instead looks like an H3 or H16/9009 halogen bulb. Does anyone have a 2010 Escape they can look at to see what bulb it has?

The other (and last resort) option would be to install a 25w 4300k HID kit, but I don't really want to go this route because of the possibility of glare.

Riley

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:
I was not aware that the Adrenalin took a different bulb.

Hyster/Yale uses the ps24w on some of their forklifts as headlight bulbs.

Hyster PN# 1544764
Yale PN# 5800432-07

Still researching..

There's lots of people in the same position. Looking for better/upgraded bulbs or housings, but there isn't a whole lot of selection out there yet. The whole automotive industry seems to be moving to this housing (fully plastic) and bulb (PS24W).

I came across a posting on a Camaro forum (here). A gentleman there installed a set of the OEM-style replacement housings that some with the H3 bulbs. He's confirmed that the bulbs are 35 watt H3 bulbs.

I think that as long as the housings don't melt, then this would be the ideal upgrade. H3 bulbs are dime a dozen and many different companies make them, the only trick will be to find them in 35w.

I don't know if the Ebay housings are any different than the stock ones. Perhaps they're able to better withstand the heat?

Riley

So I received a response back on my inquiry regarding the fog housings on Ebay and wattage of the H3 bulbs they come with.

The bulbs are a 20 watt H3 bulb. So, that's no good since that's even less than the stock 24-watt units. It also doesn't bode well for the housings either. I was hoping they would at least be a little better constructed than the stock ones and perhaps could handle a higher wattage bulb without melting, but I don't think that will be the case.

While doing some more reading last night on the Ford Escape forums, I came across a number of people who've had melting issues with the "H16" replacement bulbs from Putco and Nokya in their stock housings. It seems to be a crapshoot though as some have it and some don't.

The only ones not having issues are the ones using an HID retrofit kit that comes with 25w bulbs and 25w ballasts. The kit is from http://www.spencershids.com and called "5202 complete 25w kit". I'm not sure if I want to go with an HID kit though. I don't want the glare associated with it.

Riley

I ordered HID's for my STA from my Distributor. They are great, I can see much better. no problems of melting in my headlamps or fogs.

I didn't notice any "glare" though.

Which kit did you end up using?

I ordered HID's for my STA from my Distributor. They are great, I can see much better. no problems of melting in my headlamps or fogs.

I didn't notice any "glare" though.

Need details. This is something I really want to do. Our headlights suck!

Luminous is the brand name. They are still shining bright with no issues

Yes, I did high/low beam headlights and fogs. I think they were H10's. I could be wrong. What ever the book called for a 2010 STA.

Any update on running HID in factory fog light housing on Adrenilin? Any burn thru or lense problem?

It's sits in the garage most of the time. 28k miles. No lighting issues at all

what brand kit did you use for fog and headlights??

Luminous. Get the good ballasts, don't cheap out

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

couldn't find that brand think they went out of business

Back