Running an OCC (Oil Catch Can) on the 3.5L Ecoboost | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Running an OCC (Oil Catch Can) on the 3.5L Ecoboost

JimiJak

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Rapids, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer Sport
For those that are unfamiliar lets talk about what an Oil Catch Can (OCC) is. If you already know, feel free to skip below to my point. ;)

An OCC is a hollow canister that you would plumb in line with your PCV valve to catch oil and debris.

Every engine during the normal combustion process, has blow-by. Engine Blow-by is excess combustion gases that leak by the piston rings and escape into the engine crankcase. During each compression or power stroke of a normal engine cycle, a very small amount of gases leak by the piston rings. This happens because the piston rings do not create a perfect seal. This Blow-by of gases is very small, but the higher the RPM and the more pistons, the more the blow-by starts to create pressure in the crank.

This pressure needs to be released, and is done so by crank case vents. Because manufactures have to keep environmental issues in mind, these gases can’t just be vented to atmosphere. So the OEM’s vent these gases back to the intake system to be re-burned. This all sounds good, but Blow by is nasty stuff!

Engine blow-by contains gases and oil from the crankcase. The gases aren’t really a problem, but the oil is. This oily mess coats everything in its path as it makes it way back to the combustion chamber. This nasty oil mess gets into the turbo, then boost tubes,then intercooler, into the intake manifold, and finally back into the engine. As the oil creeps in between couplers and boost tubes, it can cause the connection pop off under boost. This oil then gets into the intercooler, coating all the cooling fins. This greatly effects the ability of the intercooler to cool, and the efficiency of it will drop! This will cause a huge loss in power and can cause detonation. The last place this oily mess sees before the combustion chamber is the intake valves. Because of the temp differences and the oil impacting them, the oil will start to build up and form sludge. This adds up over time, and can cause many other problems, and hurt performance.

From this you can see, blow-by is bad, and it needs to be dealt with.

Long story short (too late!), there are aftermarket kits available for a bunch of different applications or you could custom build your own fairly simply. I've scoured the interwebs and I can't find really anyone that's running them on their explorers...and even more surprisingly their turbocharged Sports. So I'm wondering if I'm missing something like the Explorer has a different type of PCV setup that makes this type of mod obsolete, or what?? Our Sport should be here any day and I plan on adding one, but thought I better find out what I'm missing first.

THANKS!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A different approach (after a hundred views and no replies) ...will adding an in-line OCC void my engine/drivetrain warranty? I'm assuming an EGR Delete will as well. Any thoughts?

I'm working with RevXtreme to come up with a catch can solution for the Explorer Sport, Flex and SHO. :)

oil separator

I installed an inexpensive oil separator on my 2000 Sport when I installed my M90 supercharger kit.
Separator7.jpg

I didn't want the sludge I found in my crankcase breather going into the supercharger.
BreatherOld1.jpg

BreatherOld2.jpg

I know that 4pointslow installed one in his M112 supercharged Sport and Jakee installed one in his turbocharged Sport (both 2nd generation Explorers). I would install one in any forced induction vehicle I planned to keep for more than a few years.

I'm working with RevXtreme to come up with a catch can solution for the Explorer Sport, Flex and SHO. :)

When you do, I will be the first to purchase one. I like easy installs. The cheap looking plastic engine cover looks like a small obstacle for the catch can. Im sure yours will be a great addition to our steeds.

Buzz

Let me know also. I have one on my srt and it catches a lot of oil and crap.

Anyone have a PCV diagram for the Sport?

JLT was working on one. I run theirs in my HD truck and my Raptor. As soon as they have one for the Sport Ill order!

JLT was working on one. I run theirs in my HD truck and my Raptor. As soon as they have one for the Sport Ill order!

Any idea what impact this mod/addition has on a warranty?

I've had 2 oil separators on my Sport from the beginning, 21,710 miles, one year and 3 oil changes. Less than a tea spoon in each.
One on the PCV and one on the other valve cover vent line. Also put an AC magnetic absolute check valve on the PCV side. Just thought the PCV valve might leak under full boost.Livernous 93 Performance tune.
Runs great no issues.
Red13Sport

Anybody made / heard any progress on an OCC set up or PCV mapping?

Also, is anyone aware of any EGR mods being done to re-route the exhaust gasses to avoid the intake?

Thnx

I have a Flex going to RX this weekend, should have a kit ready to purchase next week or shortly after. (Flex/SHO/Explorer setups are the same)

I have a Flex going to RX this weekend, should have a kit ready to purchase next week or shortly after. (Flex/SHO/Explorer setups are the same)

Im In!

Just waiting on pricing to be given to me so that I can start taking orders.

Thank you for the explanation because I had no idea what the Catch Can was.

I just wonder if the newer engine design really needs this as apposed to the older engine designs?

The reason I ask this is because I have met many of the engineers at Ford and Im always impressed with their intelligence, I just cant see them missing something thats going to damage the turbo's.

I just wonder if the newer engine design really needs this as apposed to the older engine designs?

The reason I ask this is because I have met many of the engineers at Ford and Im always impressed with their intelligence, I just cant see them missing something thats going to damage the turbo's.
Great article from Tracy@RX on why you need it on an Ecoboost
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php?topic=2142

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any idea what impact this mod/addition has on a warranty?

If you had an engine issue, they'll probably blame it on the oil separator because they often like to lay blame on whatever they can even if it's not true at all. And save your magnuson-moss crap, unless you've got more money to spend on lawyers to fight that one than it would cost to just replace the engine, it's not going to help you. I'd just swap the stock PCV line back before taking it in for warranty work. The JLT ones use OEM PCV lines and OEM PCV fittings, so they literally click right on, so it takes 30 seconds to swap the stock PCV line back on without the separator being in line.

Because it's not goign to damage them, but it will build up oil resdue over time, and hinder performance over time. It's not broken, but it's not as clean as like new. Also unless it's a system thats designed to drain back, they don't want to add another maintenance item that you have to empty a separator every few thousand miles, when vehicles are designed to minimize maintenance now days. Plugs every 100k, oil changes every 10k, they aren't going to slap on an oil separator emptying every 2k. Most people don't ever pop their hoods to check the oil, let alone pop it to empty a separator lol.

Back