Installing aftermarket DVD headrests | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installing aftermarket DVD headrests

The Ford units are aftermarket as well. Ford doesn't make them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 2014 Limited did not come with the Entertainment package in the head rests. Now my husband is looking to add it, however I am not thrilled about after-market accessories. I realize that technology has come a long way, however the last after-market entertainment package added was to my Toyota Sequoia (2003) and the headrests looked terrible by 2008. The fabric was coming out of the edges and well it was horrible.

Who has added these- what did you add and what are your opinions and photos
As per my PM, I have merged your thread with this existing one.

Peter

AZ Mom

I have the Ford OEM Factory Invision DVD Headrest System ($2000) in my 14 Sport, its been transferred from my 11 Limited, to my 13 Limited, to my 14 Sport. Sometimes available on Ebay for $1500-$2000

Works great, covered by OEM warranty and has had one headrest replaced for broken screen tab that holds screen locked and another for no audio. Two audio IR headsets, two IR remotes, two DVD players so each screen can show its own movie or watch the same as each other. Be clear nothing pushes video or audio up front to the MFT system everything is controlled at the headrest or by remote control.

After researching other aftermarket systems & cost I put a set of Audiovox Advent headrest DVD systems ($1200) in my wife's 13 Acadia Denali and I must say that Advent system is superior to the Ford Invision Lt Series OEM style. Superior in fit and finish, screen quality, sound, features, and ability to accept various media formats.

When I asked Invision Customer Support about the ability of their OEM headrests to accept newer technologies they simply said "NO". I asked them about the USB port on the headrests and the ability of the Invision system to update the monitors firmware to allow for playing movies off a USB drive and they said "NO"

When I asked Audiovox they said they were looking at a possible firmware update.

Lets be honest DVD media format is a dying form factor.

Mpeg 4 movies can be stored on a USB drive and should be able to played on all these monitors.

If I had known about Audiovox Advent system before I would not have taken the Ford OEM Invision LT Series system, I would have installed the Advent system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zthfXkDCJF8

If you already have iPads at home consider the iPad mounting system with charging and Bluetooth audio included & way cheaper.

I got the Advent system at:

http://autospatech.com/mobile-video/headrest-video.html

The headrests they use are IDENTICAL OEM matches in fabric and color to the Ford non DVD factory headrests.

To be clear you cannot control anything from these systems by using MFT.

Sgt1411, How much did you pay for them?

Sgt1411, How much did you pay for them?

1 ADV-HR7012 Advent Custom Headrest $1,099.00

1 Misc Video Game Add-On $50.00

Out-of-state sale, exempt from sales tax $0.00%

Total $1,149.00 delivered.

headrest dvd

1 ADV-HR7012 Advent Custom Headrest $1,099.00

1 Misc Video Game Add-On $50.00

Out-of-state sale, exempt from sales tax $0.00%

Total $1,149.00 delivered.

which store did you buy it from?

which store did you buy it from?

He posted a link to where he bought them in post #106 above.

I like the Baton units that I have, but I am a little concerned about how safe they may or may not be in a crash. The Advent systems don't look like they have that problem. Maybe I'll pull out the Batons, sell them, and order a set of the Advents.

Sgt, do the Advent DVD systems auto resume DVD playback when you turn the car off and back on? I assume they do, but I know some of the cheaper Autotains don't, which can be a hassle. Also, how are the games that come on the optional game pack? Do you think it's worth the extra $50?

He posted a link to where he bought them in post #106 above.

I like the Baton units that I have, but I am a little concerned about how safe they may or may not be in a crash. The Advent systems don't look like they have that problem. Maybe I'll pull out the Batons, sell them, and order a set of the Advents.

Sgt, do the Advent DVD systems auto resume DVD playback when you turn the car off and back on? I assume they do, but I know some of the cheaper Autotains don't, which can be a hassle. Also, how are the games that come on the optional game pack? Do you think it's worth the extra $50?

As previous post says, Auto Spa Technologies

My contact was Mark Fuller mark@autospatech.com

I have no association to him or that company.

Yes the Advent are crash tested OEM designed.

Yes the Advent auto resume last place video was stopped.

Game pack allowed for game software pre-loaded and two game controllers. My kids used it for first 3-6 months then not so much. If your kids are really into games then buy it, if not forget it as you always add later. My kids use their iPhones now for games.

The quality of their custom headrests is better then the Ford ones, they came in the exact same black leather as my wife's Acadia Denali right down to the light titanium stitching, not white stitching.

Thanks, that seals it. I just ordered a set of the Advents. I'll be selling the Batons.

My definition of auto resume is when you shut off the car and then return a while later the DVD system, when powered up again, continues from where it left off in the movie as apposed to going back to the Menu.

My definition of auto resume is when you shut off the car and then return a while later the DVD system, when powered up again, continues from where it left off in the movie as apposed to going back to the Menu.

Yup, that's what I wanted to know. The Autotains that I first tried didn't do that. There's nothing like stopping at McDonald's quickly on a trip only to have to spend 20 minutes trying to find where the kids left off in their movie. I don't take that feature for granted anymore.

generaltso, post some pictures once you get them installed.

Game pack allowed for game software pre-loaded and two game controllers. My kids used it for first 3-6 months then not so much. If your kids are really into games then buy it, if not forget it as you always add later. My kids use their iPhones now for games.

Sgt, did you have to do anything to get the games working? I have the game pack plugged in, but when I select the Game input, I just get a screen that says "Please Insert Memory Module".

I also noticed that they came with a relay module, but there's no reference to it in the installation manual. The power is just a simple 2-wire system, so I'm not sure what the relay is for.

generaltso, how are they looking? Are they a perfect match to the seats?

generaltso, how are they looking? Are they a perfect match to the seats?

Yeah, they look to be a perfect match. I haven't installed them yet, but I've been playing with them outside of the car to make sure everything works. I'm hoping to install them this weekend if the weather warms up a little.

Bump for an update.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So do your kids like them?

Do they function like you wanted?

Those are the same style headrests as the OEM Ford Invision ones I have. I cant tell but is the cross-stitching light grey or white like the SPORT?

Yeah, the kids like them and they function well. There's plenty of head support for the front seats, which was the biggest thing missing with the Batons I was using. They can also share a single AV input that's hidden under the seat, which is what I needed to leave the Sirius Backseat TV tuner connected all the time.

The cross-stitching is dark charcoal, which matches the seats in my Limited. They also do sell a version to match the light stitching in the Sport.

Back