v-8 70mm Throttle body Install-working out the bugs | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

v-8 70mm Throttle body Install-working out the bugs

Okay so I purchased a 70mm T-Body From Dynamic racing. It looks fine and all... its for a 1987-93 Im thinking this is the problem?
Well I took the old one off and then compared the 2 and everything is different. The TPS Bolts, the throttle hookup, the IAC so What should I do?
It would be alot of modd.. just to get it to work.
Or Do I need another type of throttle body?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure why you guys had so much trouble with the TPS. When I did my 75mm BBK years back, I simply cut and re-positioned the ball stud similar to above and then bolted all the explorer parts to it (IAC, TPS, brackets, etc..) No brainer. I used a 87-93 t-body.

I am not converting a 90mm Accufab and will do same process.

One thing to add - be sure to dis-assemble the throttle rod from the assembly before welding to ensure no damage to the bushings / bearings. Also, upon re-assembly, make sure you damage the threads on the back side of the throttle plate - you don't want those screws passing through the engine - especially if you run a positive displacement S/C!

What!?!?! I thought foreign metal objects were good for our twin screws... ;)

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Okay so anyone wanting to know the wiring diagram for the TPS Explorer/Mustang Swap Here it is, This will help alot....

Explorer tps wiring
BRN/WHT - is for VOLT REF.
GRY/WHT - is for TP SENSOR INPUT
GRY/RED - is for SIG RETURN

ok and the Mustang 87-93 Tps wiring
ORG/WHT - is for VOLT REF.
DRK GRN/LT GREEN - is for TP SENSOR INPUT
BLK/WHT - is for SIG RETURN

OK, here's a question I feel like I should know the answer to:

Am I correct that nothing needs to be done to the PCM or anything to complete this mod? (I'm thinking the MAF info is sufficient to give the airflow data to the computer, right?!)

Thanks for all the great how-to knowledge everyone!

Every air flow change to an engine affects the tune needed. But the stock OBDII PCM's do very very well with mild changes, and some big changes. To get the last bit of power though, that requires new tuning, for any vehicle. So make all of the changes that you plan to, then do the PCM tune. Regards,

Help with 97 5.0l TPS/Throttle Body Pairing

What I have:

1. 97 5.0L AWD: rebuilt from the ground up (literally)
2. 94/95 Mustang 75mm BBK throttle body (no TPS, well, i do have the factory 97 explorer TPS that doesn't fit this throttle body)

Do I purchase the 94/95 Mustang TPS? And, which one since there are two part numbers. and how do I connect it to the 97 Explorer harness?

Thanks guys. I am so close to having this build completely done.

Kurt

I want to put a 75mm TB and thought I could use a 86-93 mustang but can I use my explorer IAC and TPS? Or do I need mustang IAC and TPS? I think I can weld the ball like in your pics but well everything else work out? Thanks for your help?

I want to put a 75mm TB and thought I could use a 86-93 mustang but can I use my explorer IAC and TPS? Or do I need mustang IAC and TPS? I think I can weld the ball like in your pics but well everything else work out? Thanks for your help?

Welcome. You can use the Fox TB if you modify the throttle arm/ball etc, and use the Mustang TPS. The IAC's swap, but you have to do something about the other two things. I modified a spare 98 TPS to work on my 75mm TB, but it was not really worth the effort. Get the Fox TPS and get a pigtail to match it, modify the car wiring for that.

So did it help? Was there a noticeable difference in your performance? What else would you recommend to help with performance or just an increase in mpg? its a stock 5.0 I holled out the catalytic converters and added magna flow exhaust. I am just wanting to take it to the track on the weekends and have fun but right now it's pretty slow. I think it would run in the 17sec. I just kind of want a sleeper like farm truck but I am not gonna spend that kind of money.

I think you might need one for 94-95 or one fore a gt40 upper. I am curious also.

This is the only bolt-on I am missing.

I have a professional power products TB and it looks way different then the one on my 99 5.0 the bolt pattern On the 94-95 is huge compared to the stock explorer bolt pattern. I have it for sale if you would like to buy it. It's a Polished 75 mm professional power products throttle body

So did it help? Was there a noticeable difference in your performance? What else would you recommend to help with performance or just an increase in mpg? its a stock 5.0 I holled out the catalytic converters and added magna flow exhaust. I am just wanting to take it to the track on the weekends and have fun but right now it's pretty slow. I think it would run in the 17sec. I just kind of want a sleeper like farm truck but I am not gonna spend that kind of money.

I got the 75mm TB for my 347, which is going into my Mark VII instead this Spring. The bigger TB will help any engine though, they can use it, and any other airflow improvements.

You can do more with these OBDII vehicles before you need to get a programmer and re-tune the computer. But that new program will make a nice improvement, whenever you get around to doing it. Have fun with it, my 98 was a high 17 second truck when I got it with 98k on it. They take off well, but they need more power for sure.

I have recently put a 75 mm professional power products throttlebody on my 99 5.0 export if you need any help figuring out the bugs message me. Or if you would like you can send me your new throttlebody and I will modify it to work for your explorer my number is 806-334-0668 or Ricky Don 33 [MENTION=184597]yahoo[/MENTION]

87-93 mustang TB mounted on my 99 5.0 explorer

I recently mounted a Professional Power Products 75mm TB on my 99 5.0 explorer. I had to relocate where the accelerator cable mounts on the TB and used a dremal tool to port the gasket plus a little port work to the upper intake. After that just pluged the vacuum line on the TB and I have all the bugs worked out and it runs great! If you need any help send me a message @ rickydon33@yahoo or just send it to me and I will do all the mods.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p269/kodasaufa/100_2621.jpg

Ok, I know I'm raising this old thread from the dead. Call it The Walking Thread if you will but I have a 70mm accufab Throttle that still haven't put on because of the TPS setup. It's already been modified on the bracket to fit the ball in the new location. I want to know what that adapter piece right there is that connects what looks like the original Explorer TPS connector to the mustang sensor? I've also had people tell me that they've somehow re-used the Explorer TPS by drilling out the holes more and Jon also said the Cobra TPS will work. I been really busy so haven't had the chance to settle down and finish this project but would like to get some insight before I do.

100_2621.jpg

Ok, I know I'm raising this old thread from the dead. Call it The Walking Thread if you will but I have a 70mm accufab Throttle that still haven't put on because of the TPS setup. It's already been modified on the bracket to fit the ball in the new location. I want to know what that adapter piece right there is that connects what looks like the original Explorer TPS connector to the mustang sensor? I've also had people tell me that they've somehow re-used the Explorer TPS by drilling out the holes more and Jon also said the Cobra TPS will work. I been really busy so haven't had the chance to settle down and finish this project but would like to get some insight before I do.

-Bump. I've still never installed this throttle because of the TPS wiring. Does anyone know what the O.P. used for what looks like that adaptor piece to connect the mustang TPS and the Explorer harness?

-Bump. I've still never installed this throttle because of the TPS wiring. Does anyone know what the O.P. used for what looks like that adaptor piece to connect the mustang TPS and the Explorer harness?
I think you'd do fine to just buy the car side pigtail of any Fox 302 Mustang, and splice that in place of your truck's connector. If the truck was newer and resale was a big issue, then you might want to avoid cutting the car wiring. I think you can find the pigtail new at some parts sources. Just take the Fox TPS in to compare, or buy one if you don't have it yet.

The TPS wires are the same number and function, maybe even the same colors. The wire connections just need to be soldered and not just crimped. Find the butt crimp connectors, red might work but blue is a good bet. Use one that either has no insulation, or that you can cut it off of. There is a seam along the metal crimp connector. So you can easily crimp the wires together, and then put heat to the connector, and solder at the seam. Once it sucks some solder in, it's done. Remember to place heat shrink over one end and move it far enough away to not shrink during soldering.

Ok cool I may just have to do that then. Just wanted to see if there was any options before hacking the harness side of my truck. I definitely don't plan on getting rid of my truck ever. I also got screaming demon coils coming with new wires.
http://performancedistributors.com/...d-mustang-5-0-firepower-ignition-kit-ex-type/
So I wanna see how my cam reacts to the changes. I'm not sure on the plug gap though considering my heads have .018" IIRC milled off. Runs good now and is tuned from James but seems like some power is being left on the table. Here's a vid of my truck.

Very nice, it's all looking good. Did Ed Curtis do the cam, and what rpm did he aim it for? He's going to do mine when I get time to start the engine work. I'll ask him what compression he can work with to still use regular. I've got a couple of pistons in mind, and they will be in the 9.5:1 range.

Back