Ford Explorer 2003 Puddle Light Replacement | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Explorer 2003 Puddle Light Replacement

Guys, I know I post this again and again, but Im hoping new/different members will see this. For 2003 Explorers. The Puddle Lights under the Side view mirrors! How do I replace the bulbs? ARGGHH!!! I've tried goin to the dealer, but they havent been much help. (Funny right?) There are no visible Torx Screws like the old explorers. Do i have to take my friggin door apart? HALP!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the Info

I just bought an "05 Explorer and the puddle light on the passenger side mirror is out. Used Goolge to find out how to change the bulb and the search led me here.

I'm finding lots of great info so I decided to sign-up.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I just bought an "05 Explorer and the puddle light on the passenger side mirror is out. Used Goolge to find out how to change the bulb and the search led me here.

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

You are going to love this place. :biggthump

Here's how I do it on my '02 Explorer:

You do not need to remove the mirror to do this.

This picture is from the Signal Mirror How To. That's why the mirror has been removed.

Keep the mirror on the Ex and insert the blade as shown, then push up and away from door and the lens will pop out. Then twist the socket out of the lens to remove the bulb.

Be very careful with the razor blade so you don't cut yourself! If you are having trouble with the razor blade then using a very thin, small screwdriver might be the way to go! Mine popped out very easily with the razor blade. That's why I suggest using it. Better to be safe than sorry.

Hope this helps out. :D

3dRemovePuddleLightLense.jpg

Thanks for the help

BigRondo,

Thanks for posting the picture. I went to my local O'Reilly's and picked up a pair of 168's. Out of curiosity the manager asked me what lights I was replacing, when I told him the puddle lights he asked if he could watch.

I borrowed a utility knife blade from him and changed both lights right there in the parking lot. He said that he had no clue that it could be done so easily. I smiled and reminded him that the blade needed to extend far enough into the light housing to order to push back the catch.

BigRondo,

Thanks for posting the picture. I went to my local O'Reilly's and picked up a pair of 168's. Out of curiosity the manager asked me what lights I was replacing, when I told him the puddle lights he asked if he could watch.

I borrowed a utility knife blade from him and changed both lights right there in the parking lot. He said that he had no clue that it could be done so easily. I smiled and reminded him that the blade needed to extend far enough into the light housing to order to push back the catch.

You're welcome. Glad I could help out.

1998 Explorer puddle lights

Came here to seek help guys! I just replaced the bulbs on my mirros. However, I noted that the whole lens houseing has been cracked by the heat from the bulbs. Also the Rubber socket inserted into the side of the housing is falling apart due to heat. Now, my question is this. Can these two parts be bought as replacement parts. If so any one knows the "correct" name for them and where they are available. Need your help buddies please.... Sockets I got from the junk yard are in mint shape but do not have the physical shape for me to insert and as I said the housing has become "brittle" burnt.

Thanks

Puddle lights

:thumbsup:
Thanks Dennis for the detailed instructions.
I hope I can help all the members that have assisted me in the last 3 weeks with all my requests for HELP. You guys have been great. I believe I have made all the repairs my 2005 Explore XLT needed. I am just waiting on one last request, drivers door key pad issue. Thanks, :salute:

Fixed!

Guys, I know I post this again and again, but Im hoping new/different members will see this. For 2003 Explorers. The Puddle Lights under the Side view mirrors! How do I replace the bulbs? ARGGHH!!! I've tried goin to the dealer, but they havent been much help. (Funny right?) There are no visible Torx Screws like the old explorers. Do i have to take my friggin door apart? HALP!!!!

its a easy fix! heres my video on how to fix it!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNuTKNSdqac

Sorry to wake up the thread, but is it at all possible to get a set of mirrors with 'puddle' lights in them and install them on my '02 XLS which I believe doesn't come with them?

Thanks!

:thumbsup:
Thanks Dennis for the detailed instructions.
I hope I can help all the members that have assisted me in the last 3 weeks with all my requests for HELP. You guys have been great. I believe I have made all the repairs my 2005 Explore XLT needed. I am just waiting on one last request, drivers door key pad issue. Thanks, :salute:

+1 !!!!!! my explorer came with a broken keypad from the dealer...need to replace it so I can reset the original (original code had a 0/1 in it and so does the stock key code :( )

+1 !!!!!! my explorer came with a broken keypad from the dealer...need to replace it so I can reset the original (original code had a 0/1 in it and so does the stock key code :( )

Check the door wiring going through the boot by the door hinges. The wires break and you would surprised the components that dependent on some of those wires, you will find a few broken wires. All of the power Windows run through the divers door switch, keypad for keyless entry and it's light, etc etc etc

Check the door wiring going through the boot by the door hinges. The wires break and you would surprised the components that dependent on some of those wires, you will find a few broken wires. All of the power Windows run through the divers door switch, keypad for keyless entry and it's light, etc etc etc

the thing is, the pad lights up and if i use the bottom 2 buttons it still locks. only the top button is broken, hence not being able to use the stock code

the thing is, the pad lights up and if i use the bottom 2 buttons it still locks. only the top button is broken, hence not being able to use the stock code

I had similar electrical issues with my '02 XLT. The dome lights would stay on until the battery saver feature turned them off, the accessory delay wasn't working, the driver side puddle light didn't work, the keypad on the door would set off the alarm when I pressed it, the door ajar light would flash and beep at highway speeds, the radio would shut off as soon as I turned the key off, the alarm would beep twice when I armed it. Recently all 4 windows stopped working. Most recently the driver door lock actuator stopped working.

A lot of electrical issues can be traced back to broken/damaged wire(s) in the boot between the body and the driver's door. I found 3 broken wires and repaired them. The thin black ground wire was broken and after repairing it all was back to normal. When the windows stopped working, I repaired the thick black ground wire and the windows now work like a champ. I had to repair the pink/black wire to fix the driver door lock actuator.

Here is the thread for removing the door panel: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=303524

Here is a great thread for checking for broken/damaged wires, thanks to synyster for this awesome write-up: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=270081

Unfortunately the pictures are no longer available in the above thread. IIRC, I believe I unwrapped the wires enough to gain access. When I have gone searching in there I had an idea of what wire I was looking for. I located the the wire I was looking for and gently tugged on that wire on the door side. The wire was pulled toward me and out of the harness. I then went inside the vehicle and gently tugged on the the wire I was looking for and was able to pull it inside the vehicle. I then spliced a length of wire to the 2 ends, completing the circuit. I then gently pulled the excess into the door.

Be sure to take your time when looking for broken/damaged wire(s). Check all the wires for breaks/damage. When you think you're done looking, look again, and again, and again. A bright flashlight can be very helpful.

Bravo, don't solder them like I did, I'll just have to replace that wire when the solder joint cracks.

I just swapped out my 08' puddle lights for LEDs. Thanks for everyone who had input. I used a blade as recommended and was able to press back the retaining clip without issues. Each side took me less than 5mins. Now my puddle lights are bright with more of a "modern" look at nighttime. 194 bulbs worked perfect.

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

You are going to love this place. :biggthump

Here's how I do it on my '02 Explorer:

You do not need to remove the mirror to do this.

This picture is from the Signal Mirror How To. That's why the mirror has been removed.

Keep the mirror on the Ex and insert the blade as shown, then push up and away from door and the lens will pop out. Then twist the socket out of the lens to remove the bulb.

Be very careful with the razor blade so you don't cut yourself! If you are having trouble with the razor blade then using a very thin, small screwdriver might be the way to go! Mine popped out very easily with the razor blade. That's why I suggest using it. Better to be safe than sorry.

Hope this helps out. :D

3dRemovePuddleLightLense.jpg

Thank you!

I had a dead driver side puddle light. Tried to pull the lens and snapped it. Oh well. Guess I will glue it back together. But it turns out that the bulb is not burnt out. I must have a broken wire.

Thanks for the Info

I love replying to old comments.
But yea, this place is a literal never ending fountain of information.
I’ve got an 04 XLT with a 291 (4.6) that I am slowly upgrading every single part, if I want to replace something, I first search what kind of parts the highway patrol use, then I start searching what parts are used in NASCAR or NHRA that are equivalent to what I’m looking for. Soon this thing will need the (291 Interceptor) badge, a roll cage and 4 point harness seating.

1998 Explorer puddle lights

Came here to seek help guys! I just replaced the bulbs on my mirros. However, I noted that the whole lens houseing has been cracked by the heat from the bulbs. Also the Rubber socket inserted into the side of the housing is falling apart due to heat. Now, my question is this. Can these two parts be bought as replacement parts. If so any one knows the "correct" name for them and where they are available. Need your help buddies please.... Sockets I got from the junk yard are in mint shape but do not have the physical shape for me to insert and as I said the housing has become "brittle" burnt.

Thanks

Yea I know, old comment, and you probably don’t even have this truck any more.
But Incas someone else is looking, or if your still in need, you can get new mirrors on amazon, I can’t find just the lens covers. I’ve got the same issue, the old lenses are kind of melted, I guess the previous owner put too large of a bulb inside. I wanna replace with some nice LEDS, but the lenses are so old and have gotten so hot, I’m afraid they will shatter if I try to pop them out.
Here is the mirror link.
02-05 FORD EXPLORER MIRROR RH (PASSENGER SIDE) SUV, Power, w/ Puddle Light, Folding (2002 02 2003 03 2004 04 2005 05) FD73ER 1L2Z17682BAA https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000E4OI14/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_x0qOBbYDG5DX4

Back