Running an OCC (Oil Catch Can) on the 3.5L Ecoboost | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Running an OCC (Oil Catch Can) on the 3.5L Ecoboost

Mounting the Can?

Ok, so where is this designed to be mounted? Pictures of the X Sport kit and braided lines and off-road oil breather fill cap would be appreciated. Installation instructions with pictures would also help those of us deciding if they want to do this modification.

Is the breather fill cap necessary if the Sport doesn't go off-road?

What does the "Clean Side Oil Separator" option do?

Thanks,
HH

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Again, for anyone even remotely interested in this topic, ^^this^^ is a MUST READ! Great info from Tracy at RX.

Ordered mine today!

Wow, that is a good read. Did you catch the part about break in? I often wondered that with the slippery synthetics they fill them with.

I have less than 150 miles on my (wifes) sport and will be taking there advise on break in and catch can.

Guy

Mike-
Was just ordering one from you. What is the advantage of the clean side oil separator?
Going on a stockish 2014 Sport.
I'll wait on the order till I hear from you.

Thanks!
Guy

Reread the post and ordered both...

Sorry I'm in Canada with limited access to internet due to time schedule. Headed back tomorrow!
:)
Thanks for the order!

Would this be required on the 2.0L Ecoboost engine as well?

I believe it would be of great benefit on the 2.0L EcoBoost motor, considering all the black soot I see in the tailpipes on our 13 XLT...

I sent JLT an email concerning this to see if they would consider making one, but they have ignored it.......best regards Plum

I believe it would be of great benefit on the 2.0L EcoBoost motor, considering all the black soot I see in the tailpipes on our 13 XLT...

I sent JLT an email concerning this to see if they would consider making one, but they have ignored it.......best regards Plum

So it wouldn't be a good idea to just buy the 3.5L Ecoboost oil catch can and slap it on for the 2.0L Ecoboost? Couldn't be that much different could it?

It would work fine on the 2.0 ecoboost, but the plumbing and fittings would be a little different so you'd have to figure it all out yourself.

Just a heads up on my JLT install.

There isnt even a hint of oil/fuel in any of the rubber lines, let alone the catch can itself after 200 miles of hard driving including atleast 10-15 WOT and immediately accelerations.

The fact the can sits well above the entry and exit points might be the reason.

Buzz

Just did the JLT oil separator on my 2016 3.5 explorer. Was not an exact fit but passed the fitment information to the folks at JLT today. They should have the 16 kit sorted soon.

Just did the JLT oil separator on my 2016 3.5 explorer. Was not an exact fit but passed the fitment information to the folks at JLT today. They should have the 16 kit sorted soon.

What was the problem adding it to the 2016?

What was the problem adding it to the 2016?

The fittings are correct, hoses need to be different length and mounting bracket needs to needs to be longer from the point of attachment up to the first 90* bend.

Once mounted correctly it actually looks like it came that way from the factory.

20160720_110707_zpscryz95du.jpg

Treademarks; thanks for the prompt reply and the answer to my question. It looks like it's just a minor problem to over come

Treademarks; thanks for the prompt reply and the answer to my question. It looks like it's just a minor problem to over come
Quite simple actually. I purchased 3 feet of hose from NAPA and gently used a razor to remove supplied hose from can and fittings. After rebending the mounting bracket and installing can in place, simply route new hoses away from any sharp or hot obstacles. Make sure to select exact hose inside diameter, so fitment will be very tight without the use of hose clamps which detract from OEM appearance. I have already supplied hose lengths and mounting bracket changes to JLT so the issue may be addressed by them already. May want to ask them to confirm.

Hope that helps.

Terry

In my opinion I wouldn't bother installing one. I had one on my truck and it didn't work as well as I thought and at one point it began leaking due to a bad connection from one of the quick connect clamps. I removed it and threw it away. Waste of time and money. Others my have or had better experiences but I certainly didn't. I had it hooked up right per the instructions however it didn't yield the results I was hoping for as far as collecting very much oil and fluid. Just remove your cold air intake pipe once in a while and clean it when your cleaning your air filter and you should be fine.

After a bunch of research and getting a callback from the engineer Tracy who designed these systems, I ordered this system for my new '17 Sport.

http://tracylewisperformance.com/product/tracy-lewis-monster-catch-can-kit/

I'm planning to install it in the driver's side inner fenderwell area as this area has enough space to accommodate the Monster size can and is cool to maximize the can's condensing properties.

I wish I could run one but they are not CARB-legal here in California....

The TracyLewisPerformance.com systems (original designer of the Genuine RX systems, but they are copied by many now by cheap glued together made in China cans) has 2.0, 2.7, and 3.5L versions.

These videos help alot:

Explains what occurs, why, and how it is addressed. I know Jegs also carry's them.

Fixed the shudder/misfire issues on the 2013 3.5. Also did the weep hole mod later after seeing what was already in the CAC. They have a bunch of different independent tests done against most of the well known names where this design was installed inline AFTER others like moroso and jlt, etc. and they trap more getting past the other designs than the first ones inline caught, then done in reverse almost nothing gets past them. Made my decision easy. Showing proof instead of claims, etc.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My order for a JLT catch can has been placed and it should be here in two weeks or so.
My EX Sport is just hitting the 12K mile mark and I found evidence of PCV vapor sludge in and around the CAC openings ( I removed the entire tube off, along with the rear blow off valve reirculation tube).

Hopefully this will mitigate carbon build-up and I highly recommend those with the EB engines to do the same.

Back