Installing aftermarket DVD headrests | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installing aftermarket DVD headrests

Those look great I am going to order a set ASAP.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I received the new game pack to replace the defective one, and this one works. The kids like the games, but only one of them can play a game at a time unless they're playing a 2-player game. Only 6 of the 54 games are 2-player.

DVD headrest question

I found a 14 Sport that I may purchase. It is perfect except I'd like the DVD setup in the headrests for my little grandsons to watch. My question is are those something the dealer can install? Is that a big deal? I wanted the system to be as close to factory as possible. Thanks!

I found a 14 Sport that I may purchase. It is perfect except I'd like the DVD setup in the headrests for my little grandsons to watch. My question is are those something the dealer can install? Is that a big deal? I wanted the system to be as close to factory as possible. Thanks!
Welcome to the Forum GSX-WE4.:wavey:
As per my PM, I have merged your thread with this existing one.
Good luck.

Peter

Please read my previous posts in this thread. Don't waste your money on the Ford Invision DVD kit for $1900.

The AudioVox Advent system mentioned in one of my posts is superior in every way for $1200

Thanks for the info.

Adding factory DVD system

I have a 14' XLT w/MFT. I am sure this has been asked before but can you add factory DVD system and if anyone knows the cost? I know I can go the after market route but don't want to void my warranty.

I bought these on ebay (Nextbase CLICK7 7" Dual Screens DVD Players w/ Stanchion Mount & 2 IR Headphone) for $399 for everything. It's the same thing you can find on Ford's accessory website for $729. I like them because they click off and are removed when not being used.

Cutting into existing Headrests?

Has anyone tried cutting into the existing headrests in the 2011-2015s to install a monitar? My sound guy advised not to cut it becuase the safety bracket inside. He said it wouldn't mount flush. I tried the aftermarket ones you just pop in but I didn't like it because it wasn't as comfortable as the stock ones.

Any pictures would help, so I don't cut into the leather only to realize it won't work.

Has anyone tried cutting into the existing headrests in the 2011-2015s to install a monitar? My sound guy advised not to cut it becuase the safety bracket inside. He said it wouldn't mount flush. I tried the aftermarket ones you just pop in but I didn't like it because it wasn't as comfortable as the stock ones.

Any pictures would help, so I don't cut into the leather only to realize it won't work.
Welcome to the Forum krisgutz.:wavey:
As per my PM, I have merged your thread with this existing one.
Check out post 129 and the link in 133.

Peter

Has anyone installed two sets? We are researching to see the potential of two rows (for second and third row passengers) of DVD players.

We are planning a vacation to Disney and wanted to keep kids busy as they have no idea about the trip. And really don't want to hear "are we there yet?" Lol.

I have searched and cannot find anyone who has done this, at least from what I found. Worse case scenario we bring iPads but that's plan "B". So your feedback is appreciated.

We are favoring the Advent system...

I also do not recall seeing any post about adding a second set of DVD players.
I'm sure the 'big kids' will have just as much fun as the little ones.;)

Peter

Lol, you are correct- I want to enjoy the drive by being passenger ( in the back with the kids).

My sister has 4 kids and was looking for same set- up for their Limited. She found out the hard way, a long trip without entertainment with 4 kids ages 3 and under. I'm not as adventurous to tempt the same trip without something to keep them busy!

Thanks for confirming, Peter!

Here's an update:

You can install DVD system for the 2nd and 3rd row passengers. The 3rd row is a special order but can be done and guaranteed. Same price for 2nd and 3rd row. The real issue is all 4 cannot watch different DVDs separately due to earphones and the radio frequency they work from.

We are looking at $2600.00 total.....sigh - it may dip into the Disney budget...lol

Four iPad Minis would only set you back $1600, or Nexus 7s which would only set you back $800. That way each kid can watch their own movie, or play their own game. Much less expensive than a permanent solution which will only see occasional use, and more versatile to boot.

iPads can be useful in some circumstances, but my kids watch live TV on the headrests, which isn't really possible with iPads. I much prefer that to having to switch DVDs constantly or having to pick a bunch of movies ahead of time to load onto iPads.

I wondered who it was that was still watching live television. Well, please remember to turn off the lights and lock the doors when you're finished ;)

We have the iPads already, with the kids they are glued to the iPads. Of course I'm using mine right now too. I didn't want anyone to be able to see an IPad and be tempted to break a window to smash and grab.

Also of the 4 iPads, 1 has wifi. (Kids mine craft game uses wifi). I looked at the various iPad holders and think if I'm sitting in front of the bracket, that my long hair is going to get caught in it. There are Velcro attachments too, not sure if any better. Can anyone confirm?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back