• Register Today It's free!

My blacked out Explorer

jpit11

Reaction score
City, State
Staten Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer XLT
Finally getting around to posting some pics of my XLT. Got it about 2 weeks ago and I think it turned out pretty nice. Basically took everything at wasn't black already and changed it to satin black. Also tinted the windows and tail lights and did a satin black vinyl hood insert. Rims are 20" KMC Skitch and tires are Goodyear Fortera. All work done by Wheel Concepts on Staten Island. They have done every car I have had for the past 20 years.

a2f25d38288a684c3a9edf1be790cd76.jpg

52855eeb1fae3cb1ef4f595a1cc9afe0.jpg

bb0a3c66ce34c86ad39b235273ecb6a2.jpg

27507a1e4a8f7db611f2ad6b17925a2c.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The hood element was a really good idea! It looks factory, nicely done!

The Ford red and black emblems are sick! where did you get them?

Truck looks really good!

Thanks. That's exactly what I was going for.

I wonder if something similar could be done on the side of the car... Could really make the lines "pop." Just a thought.

The Ford red and black emblems are sick! where did you get them?

Truck looks really good!

Thanks!

I plasti dipped the emblems and then I stopped by a local sign shop and they cut the red lettering on the spot. Cost me $15 and they even put them on

I wonder if something similar could be done on the side of the car... Could really make the lines "pop." Just a thought.

Doesn't show in the pic but I actually wrapped the chrome molding and door handles in satin black. Here's a better pic. Was also thinking of painting the lettering on wheel center caps red. Opinions?

cc451672e90a9fd48804749d75d4dd0e.jpg

Interesting. My last car was wrapped satin black, I didn't like how the door handles held up though so I've held off on that for now.

IMO don't touch the center caps. Red especially will look like Rudolph the red nosed reindeer. I think any further touches of red will begin to detract from an otherwise super clean setup.

Interesting. My last car was wrapped satin black, I didn't like how the door handles held up though so I've held off on that for now.

IMO don't touch the center caps. Red especially will look like Rudolph the red nosed reindeer. I think any further touches of red will begin to detract from an otherwise super clean setup.

Agree 100%.

And nice ride man!

I tend to mostly black out my cars even if they aren't black!

10304773_10152046928585997_8567626431041309222_n.jpg

Appreciate he input. I will probably leave it as is.

3FF nice collection!

I really like the blacked out look. I agree you should leave the center caps black.

Kevin

I really like the blacked out look. I agree you should leave the center caps black.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin. I was only going to do the "KMC" lettering in red but I think I'm going to leave as-is anyhow.

So Cool! I love the emblems and door handles. I REALLY want to do that to mine. I have the same one. :)

Nice job on the grille. Was curious to see how it would look without the gloss.

I'm looking to do something similar to mine, how do you feel about the chrome in the headlights? I'm thinking about swapping my headlights out for the Sport if i can find a set without the HID wiring. Mine already has HIDs so i'm thinking it should be a relatively easy swap.

xDN7oXY

I'm debating a 2015 or 2016 but if I go with a 2015, this is close to the look I want, maybe a little less blacked out. Is that paint over the stock grill? What about the headlights and tailights? I'm about 30 min from Staten Island and go there all the time so maybe I'll consider Wheel Concepts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back