How to: - Convert V8 AWD to BW 4406 Manual Shift- A how to thread | Page 21 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Convert V8 AWD to BW 4406 Manual Shift- A how to thread

Prefix for threads which are instructional.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This IS going to be a winter project for me...

Question on the rear drive shaft guys....
The 2000 Expedition has a different rear drive shaft, depending on air ride, or standard suspension.

I see the standard suspension model does not seem to have the cargan joint. I guess the real question is if I need the double joint in the rear or not.-

edit: The standard suspension shaft did not have the double cardan on it. It must be the auto suspension that has the double cardan? Strange, I'll get my hands on a auto suspension unit to have a look at it.

Double edit: ok, self leveling suspension rear shaft doesn't have the double cardan joint either. I now have no idea what the difference is between the two shafts, other than the part number. The self leveling suspension shaft seems to be the most common, so that's what I now have.

Triple edit: http://www.quad4x4.com/fordRdshft1999-2004.html
It looks like the F-250 has the double cardan joint, but the shaft would need to be shortened.

Air ride shaft might have a longer slip on it. :dunno:

I'll take a picture of the one I have with air ride, and post it with measurements of each section. Then, I'll post what we had to do to make it work. That might help the next guy.

This is what mine looked like in the end. I noticed there weren't too many pics of the finished project.

hi yall, I got a 98' Ex 5.0 with 2wd, that im converting to 4x4 and doing a SAS. im picking up a 4x4 4r70w trans and a BW 4406 with everything attached out of the same truck a wrecked 98/99 f150 w/ 110xxxMiles for $450 . i didnt read if anyone has a 3 in body lift with this transfer case if so do i have to make an Extension for the Shifter?

I have a 2 inch lift and the only thing that I noticed was you have to cut a Bigger opening in the floor. The higher the body the longer the throw for the shifter.

hi yall, I got a 98' Ex 5.0 with 2wd, that im converting to 4x4 and doing a SAS. im picking up a 4x4 4r70w trans and a BW 4406 with everything attached out of the same truck a wrecked 98/99 f150 w/ 110xxxMiles for $450 . i didnt read if anyone has a 3 in body lift with this transfer case if so do i have to make an Extension for the Shifter?

I read this as your taking the trans and transfercase from the f150?

The trans bell housing is not the same as the 5.0L.

Hey guys I'm trying to find the transfer case to do this. I need to know the ID number on the tag of the transfer case so that I can get the right transfer case everyone is using for this modification. Thanks. 2000 5.0 EB awd explorer.

Rough estimate of how much you spent? Love the write up.. nice job

Rough estimate of how much you spent? Love the write up.. nice job

Rear driveshaft $80 from junkyard, went in and bought it w/o pulling it out myself. (u pull it yard didn't have any expeditions)

Front conversion joint $15

I bought my tcase from a "u pull it" yard during a holiday 50% off sale (local ones have them every holiday weekend), with the shifter and front driveshaft ,it was $140.

$15 for tcase fluid

$15 for gaskets and misc hardware.

Then it was just my time and labor at that point.

At the time I owned two and did them both within a couple weeks of each other for the overall same cost. I only own one of them now though, sold the other off.

Are there any other part numbers, from different manufacturers such as Spicer, for the conversion U-Joint required?

I don't have an autozone nearby, and no idea where to find Conversion PDQ/Brute Force #1-0134

I picked my conversion u joint up from Oreilly's. Went in, told them what driveshaft, to which vehicle, parts guy consulted his book, and then handed me the correct one.

do you have an O'Reillys part number?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bigger priority: the rod connecting the Tcase to the shifter mechanism, can anyone provide me with a pic and precise measurements? Perhaps I can have one made.

Sent from my H866C using Forum Runner

Back