Painting or Plastic Dip Door handles | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Painting or Plastic Dip Door handles

Just thought I'd throw this in. It is the door handle on my MKT. Something a little different.

Peter

Attachments

• P4280232_001.JPG
    P4280232_001.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 851

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

a how too

a how to with a video would be nice... pics would be a plus..
i want these chrome handels gone....;)

Just confirming you completely removed the handles without ripping the interior door panels off ........correct?

UPDATE:

I just took my front handles off tonight, very easy.

1. Front door inside edge just above latch assembly (that grabs frame when door is closed) is a black rubber grommet. Pop that off and look inside to see Torx T20 screw.

DO NOT UNSCREW ALL THE WAY OR YOU RISK DROPPING SCREW INTO INSIDE OF DOOR.

I SUGGEST NO SCREW DRIVER WITH DETACHABLE TORX T20 BIT OR IT MAY COME OUT OF DRIVER AND FALL INTO DOOR.

2. Back that screw off a little at a time until the chrome end cap of the handle comes out.

3. Pull the chrome handle open like you would when opening the door and then pull/slide towards back of vehicle. The front of the handle is connected via electrical connector for the keyless entry touchpad. Unclip that connector and your handle is off.

Back doors don't seem to have a rubber grommet that I can see so I will tackle those tomorrow.

Back doors have a very small circular decal under the outer weather stripping on the outside of the door. That decal is covering the access hole that allows you to use the T20 Torx to loosen the door handle for removal.

IMG_4128.jpg

IMG_4134.jpg

IMG_4133.jpg

Blacked out door handles

What I did was I bought some chrome door handle covers from amazon for $30 and some 3M 1080 gloss black vinyl wrap and wrapped the door handle covers that way every part of the handle got wrapped and was able to tuck the wrap on the back side of cover so there wont be any peeling away issues and if they get scratched or damaged down the road I can just pop the covers off to rewrap them they turned out great it took a couple tries to figure out the whole heating and stretching the wrap but they came out perfect with no bubbles or creases.

Attachments

• 20140510_121935.jpg
    20140510_121935.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 992
  • 20140510_122801.jpg
    20140510_122801.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 1,158
  • 20140510_204247.jpg
    20140510_204247.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 942

Do you have a link to the door handles?

I really like the idea of the covers. Once on, is there any evidence that they are covers? Can you see the original chrome at all? Do you "feel" them? Thanks!

door handle covers

Yes I do not have the keyless fob for sensor on handle so these would not work for any with the push button start.

door handle covers

if you stand directly over top of these handle covers and look straight down you can only see a small portion of chrome on the backside of the handle everything else is totally covered and you can not feel them because it covers the whole handle.

With the Vinyl of 3M can i do also the chrom bracket on the doors, the behind with explorer written and the front bumper lines?

I have a sign shop and play with vinyl daily, although we don't really do any vehicle mods, just strictly commercial work. We just picked up our Ex. last night and I plan on using vinyl for the door trim and front grill, but after looking at the liftgate trim with the raised Ex. lettering, I think that will need to be painted or plasti dipped. I don't think you'll be able to get the vinyl down in all of the recesses and keep it there.

Also consider waiting to get the 2015 OEM body color door handles. Very easy to exchange.

Handles and Ford Oval

I purchased some black 3M vinyl that had silver flakes in that actually matches the Tuxedo black paint very well. I had a local window tint shop put it on my handles and Ford emblems. They also used a special tint to cover the amber on my headlights, reverse lights, rear blinkers and side blinkers. I paid about $15 for the vinyl and they installed everything for $100 and it came out great. I hated the chrome and wasn't sure if I wanted to paint them and how much it would cost. The vinyl is holding up great everywhere and I am very pleased with the look. I used my crappy iPhone 4s to take the photos. They were taken inside of my garage and the lighting sucks. Hope you get the idea of what they look like up close.

Attachments

• July 2014 dump 142.jpg
    July 2014 dump 142.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 764
  • July 2014 dump 144.jpg
    July 2014 dump 144.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 749
  • July 2014 dump 146.jpg
    July 2014 dump 146.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 751
  • July 2014 dump 148.jpg
    July 2014 dump 148.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 743

Sgt:

Back in 2012, when I was researching and thinking of getting an Ex (waited til 2014), I was also planning on what mods I could do. The sheer amount of chrome was the first thing that adversely caught my attention. I asked the local dealer if the chrome handle covers could be painted, etc. He referred me to the dealer autobody shop. The shop stated that the base model and Interceptor model handle covers can be painted because they are black, plastic, and can be easily prepped. The chrome ones, according to him, would would be almost impossible to paint because of the chrome/preparation involved (impossible, likely meaning not worth the time, effort, and expense). Fast forward to 2014, to get matching colors, you would have to order the black covers in a special order status called "paint to match." Here, you would buy the covers and pay for both the part and to have it painted (more expensive). When your part arrived, you would bring it over to the shop, show em your receipt and wait for the painting to be done.

Fast forward a bit more when news broke about the 15 model year having matching door handle covers--I went back to the dealer to chit chat with some friends who work in the Fleet Department, and one of them mentioned that despite the matching door handle covers on the 15 models, you would still have to order them "paint to match." So it appears that Ford will not be stocking pre-painted door handle covers for folks to simply order.

You might wanna look into this and see if there's any truth in the matter. These are friends speculating, but who am I to challenge them since they are Ford employees. I would hate to see other folks having difficulty in doing this mod--unless they're happy with dipping or vinyl wraps.

BillyG2014Sport: are those wrapped or painted? Looks good!

Sorry to say but not impressed with the wrap, glad I had mine painted. Lots of rough fold over marks are very visible.

frank

exwraphandle2_zpsa5db43dd.jpg

I purchased some black 3M vinyl that had silver flakes in that actually matches the Tuxedo black paint very well. I had a local window tint shop put it on my handles and Ford emblems. They also used a special tint to cover the amber on my headlights, reverse lights, rear blinkers and side blinkers. I paid about $15 for the vinyl and they installed everything for $100 and it came out great. I hated the chrome and wasn't sure if I wanted to paint them and how much it would cost. The vinyl is holding up great everywhere and I am very pleased with the look. I used my crappy iPhone 4s to take the photos. They were taken inside of my garage and the lighting sucks. Hope you get the idea of what they look like up close.

You mean 'change', no exchange from Ford. ;)

No parts that I know of come pre painted like bumper, doors etc, or handles, all are 'black' ready for paint.

Also consider waiting to get the 2015 OEM body color door handles. Very easy to exchange.

You mean 'change', no exchange from Ford. ;)

No parts that I know of come pre painted like bumper, doors etc, or handles, all are 'black' ready for paint.

Yup the 2015 Explorer body color handles came painted. I have Tuxedo Black on my Sport. They have a newer style PEPS Passive Entry door touch button integrated into the door handle instead of the older plastic insert.

IMG_4359.jpg

Wow, that's a new one, looks good of course!

How much were the covers?

Yup the 2015 Explorer body color handles came painted. I have Tuxedo Black on my Sport. They have a newer style PEPS Passive Entry door touch button integrated into the door handle instead of the older plastic insert.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those aren't covers, those are the 2015 Explorer Sport OEM door handles.

Back