5th Gen Explorer With LED Light Bar | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5th Gen Explorer With LED Light Bar

shooterSVT

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Villa, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford F-150 Raptor SV
Hey guys, new to the forum. Just picked up a 2015 Metallic Gray XLT for my wife. I got my Raptor in 2012 and have loved it so much, it seemed a good idea to stay in the Ford family.

Anyway, in the Raptor world, we install aftermarket lighting. In fact, we install A LOT!!! Suffice to say, I'm used to lighting up the night.

I dig the HIDs the Exploder has, but I feel it needs more. I'm thinking about installing my Rigid 20" LED bar behind the lower grill. I've done some searching but haven't seen anyone attempt this on a 5th gen truck. Am I just missing it or has someone attempted it.

Thanks in advance,

Todd

LR-04869.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice truck! love em raptors

I don't recall seeing that kind of mod. But if you tackle it on yours, take plenty of pics. I've pondered doing something along similar lines.

See on the Raptor, there is a lower grill that is easily removed. LED bars from companies like Rigid and VisionX have stock mounts that will work with what I'll call the bumper subframe. I need to get my hands on a light and see what I can rig behind the Explorer lower grill. I'd remove my bar, but man o man is it a pain in the butt.

I was wanting to do the same thing but there just wasnt any solid areas down there to mount on. I ended up pulling the crash bar off and welding some t-nuts behind it and fabbing up my own brackets that came out above the bumper right below the main grill. I used an Ebay 30" curved bar.

Then since I dont have the back up assist option I purchased that switch panel and made that button the one that turns on the light bar. Turned out pretty good I think. And it's stupid bright now! Wish I had some pics of the whole process but I was in a hurry to get it done for a trip.

20140628_165957_zpsa3sdn7qo.jpg

20140629_152151_zpsohj4qzsx.jpg

Could it have fit in the air duct/grill opening in-between the fog lights on the lower bumper? My two cents would be that it would look cleaner and sharper. Thoughts?

Any AC performance hit when mounting a bar in front of that lower opening?
Especially down in Texas...

I wondered why they couldnt just put a loose mesh in that opening instead of leaving it wide open for small rocks and bugs to get stuck in the AC fins,
but that bar in front of it seems like it blocks that entire air space?

It's been on there for a couple months and haven't noticed any ac difference. I've already had two fog lights busted from rocks this year so I imagine the light bar would take a beating down there. Not to mention there's no where to mount it.

It looks crooked. Is it, or is that the pic perspective?

Hey guys, new to the forum. Just picked up a 2015 Metallic Gray XLT for my wife. I got my Raptor in 2012 and have loved it so much, it seemed a good idea to stay in the Ford family.

Anyway, in the Raptor world, we install aftermarket lighting. In fact, we install A LOT!!! Suffice to say, I'm used to lighting up the night.

I dig the HIDs the Exploder has, but I feel it needs more. I'm thinking about installing my Rigid 20" LED bar behind the lower grill. I've done some searching but haven't seen anyone attempt this on a 5th gen truck. Am I just missing it or has someone attempted it.

Thanks in advance,

Todd

LR-04869.jpg

I've seen the one another day, pretty good

there are not so many places you could really put an LED on lower grill, but there are some aftermarkets LED you could try to install.

Thanks in advance,

Todd

LR-04869.jpg

Loving your raptor.
I am a big fan of Rigid's products, I had a bunch of them on my old F150KR and I knew when I got my new Explorer I would be getting some again... I ended up going a 28 inch combo E2 and and a 20 inch driving E2 on my push bar. I really love how bright they are!

I have two of these light bars sitting in my garage now, mounted to a Setina push bar if anyone is considering an upgrade... Let me know and I can provide more details on the install

I put mine behind the grille, it is a rigid industries SR 20
IMG_1107.jpg

IMG_1104.jpg

I like that bar behind the grill, on a side note.... I work for Whelen Engineering and we have the same LED bars but are called Whelen Continuum. What Ford emblem is in your grill

Just spent 30 minutes searching using the search feature... No Luck

I'm looking to see 5th gen Explorers with LED light bars on them....

If you have one can you please post some pictures.

I'm looking for one for myself... Not sure what brand i should go with...

Just spent 30 minutes searching using the search feature... No Luck

I'm looking to see 5th gen Explorers with LED light bars on them....

If you have one can you please post some pictures.

I'm looking for one for myself... Not sure what brand i should go with...

As in foglight lightbars?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back