Painting or Plastic Dip Door handles | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Painting or Plastic Dip Door handles

Those aren't covers, those are the 2015 Explorer Sport OEM door handles.

I have a 14 base model and black plastic door handles.

Is your 15 door handle available for the 14 model without the Passive Entry door touch button? I don't have this.

Did you have to replace the entire door handle, instead of the handle cover?

Do you have a part number?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes ,yes that's what I meant, not the junk covers off ebay!
How much?
Are all 15 Explores getting the painted ones?

Those aren't covers, those are the 2015 Explorer Sport OEM door handles.

I believe only the Sport with PEPS gets body colour because the Limited has a chrome package as opposed to our Sport blackout trim.

I do not have part numbers but dealership or Fordparts.com should have those

20140825_155805_zpsqagyimej.jpg

20140825_155839_zpsnv6lfahd.jpg

Got my ex back from the painters today. I'm happy now. Those chrome door handles were keeping me up at night.

Looks good I keep getting told no on painting them. I've tried 3 different shops.

How did the plasti dip hold up on handles? I just did my logos, grille and tailgate but was told the handles would probably not hold up very long? Just wondering how often a person would have to do them.
Thanks

Welcome to the Forum ykceb225.:wavey:
There are several members who have done this with the door handles so hopefully you will get a response from someone. It would also be helpful possibly in answering future posts if you added the 'model' of your Explorer to your profile so it appears in the margin.
Happy New Year!

Peter

What I did was I bought some chrome door handle covers from amazon for $30 and some 3M 1080 gloss black vinyl wrap and wrapped the door handle covers that way every part of the handle got wrapped and was able to tuck the wrap on the back side of cover so there wont be any peeling away issues and if they get scratched or damaged down the road I can just pop the covers off to rewrap them they turned out great it took a couple tries to figure out the whole heating and stretching the wrap but they came out perfect with no bubbles or creases.

Looking good. What rims and wheels are those? Do you have more pics of your car like this?

took the back handles off to vinyl wrap, and just as my luck would have it, something inside the door broke (looks like the spring popped off a plastic piece or somethin). and now i cant open the door (oddly from the inside or the outside).

so... what was supposed to be a 30 second removal is now going to take a trip to the dealership, and probably money out of pocket to Ford... cause I have zero faith they will cover this under warranty... even though i'm sure it happened due to their POS cheaply made components and poor design... ever too common throughout this car so far. ugggghh.

Got my ex back from the painters today. I'm happy now. Those chrome door handles were keeping me up at night.

what did you pay (if u dont mind me asking)?

what did you pay (if u dont mind me asking)?

Paid $500 for the door handles + tint on the 3 rear brake lights + the head lights + the fog lights.

Paid $500 for the door handles + tint on the 3 rear brake lights + the head lights + the fog lights.
Aren't the headlamps and taillights on a Sport already tinted?

Peter

Aren't the headlamps and taillights on a Sport already tinted?

Peter

11_zps940e0c64.jpg

The interior housing of the Sport headlights are black, similar to the mod I did on the headlights of my non-Sport. The outer plastic lens of the headlights are clear. Therefore light output is not badly affected.

However, some folks, like 1badgoat have tinted the outer lens of the headlights.

And yes, Sports tail lights are tinted.

Looks good all around shadow. How did you do that lower grill? or is that just photoshopped?

Looks good all around shadow. How did you do that lower grill? or is that just photoshopped?

Thanks! Not photoshopped LOL. I made the lower grille using the diamond mesh piece from the Sport grille (got it from a salvage pick-part yard from a totaled Sport). I didn't do a write-up as the whole process was experimental and I just about thought the entire thing would fail. But I detail some of my experiences in this thread http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=411016

20140825_155805_zpsqagyimej.jpg

20140825_155839_zpsnv6lfahd.jpg

Looks awesome..everything...but man on man..i would be pulled over by staties ever time i was on the hgihway with those darked out lights..they care ALOT about that here in MA

Looks awesome..everything...but man on man..i would be pulled over by staties ever time i was on the hgihway with those darked out lights..they care ALOT about that here in MA

That's just one of the many reasons I moved down here.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's just one of the many reasons I moved down here.

I have 20% tint and was almost pulled over 2 weeks ago..but as he was running my plate behind me be pulled up to be and rolled down the windown and gave me the thumbs up and flew by.

a week later i found out it was a guy who golfs at our course with another statie who we are good friends with haha. So i have 2 highways around me with my name kinda out there which is a plus

Back