For Sale - Ubolt & Shock Skidplates | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

For Sale Ubolt & Shock Skidplates

I have a pair of brand new U-bolt and shock skid plates specifaclly made for the rear of a 1st or 2nd gen Explorer. They are 1/4" plate and protect your u-bolts and raise the shocks up a few inches. These are made for 5/8" U-bolts which are bigger than the stock ones so if you dont have 5/8" ubolts now would be the time to upgrade. These may cause shock to swaybar mount interference so shocks should be mounted body side up or if you have removed the rear swaybar it is a non-issue. Also note these raise the shock up 2"-3" so shock length could be an issue depending on your lift and shock length.

Current price for a pair is $215 shipped to the US due to the high cost of steel right now.

attachment.php

ubolt skids (1).JPG

ubolt skids (2).JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I didn't think about it at the time, but mine were busting out of the box a bit too. They weren't in any danger of falling out but IIRC one of the seams on the box was starting to rip. Sorry, didn't think of it then.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Yeah they were tearing out on one corner from the shock mount pointing out, but maybe just taping around the whole box, or double boxing would help.

Thanks for the nice review and glad they worked for you! Were they actually coming out of the box? I like to know these things so I can pack them better (maybe even double box them if I need to) USPS handling can be unpredictable so who knows.

A double boxing would be a good idea. At the PO, everything is tossed, everything except super heavy or irregular and can't be, or letters or Express/Registered Mail.

Imagine someone tossing the package, 5-10 feet away, into hampers 3'x4'x3' high, with more packages down inside those. Pictures which come from online orders, those go into simple 4x6" or so envelopes, and they get tossed into the parcel stream also.

It's not my doing, it's the way the PO works. I just see it every day, I'm the carrier who receives those parcels, when I go and get my parcel hamper.:(

Haha! thanks Don. I feel sorry for those boxes these get tossed on! I am sending out another one today that I put extra cardboard inside to reinforce the corners and I taped it up a bit more.

That's the other thing to think about, the heavy boxes mixed with the light as a feather and marked fragile on them, cringe. People think the light fragile items just need to be marked, and don't need any packing layers etc.;)

Yeah, my box came all smashed and open also. Brian, the plates are just too beefy. You'll have to lighten them to USPS spec-;):D

Of course I am kidding. I still trust the PO more than any shipper available to me. This is a learning process also.

These will not be hurt in any way during shipping, and they are too heavy to get lost. I wonder if merely wrapping all the way around with clear tape wold hold it together better? A tighter box might help too, so they do not slide around inside causing carnage to everything they contact.

A double boxing would be a good idea. At the PO, everything is tossed, everything except super heavy or irregular and can't be, or letters or Express/Registered Mail.

Imagine someone tossing the package, 5-10 feet away, into hampers 3'x4'x3' high, with more packages down inside those. Pictures which come from online orders, those go into simple 4x6" or so envelopes, and they get tossed into the parcel stream also.

It's not my doing, it's the way the PO works. I just see it every day, I'm the carrier who receives those parcels, when I go and get my parcel hamper.:(

I had to go to the post office to pick up a couple flat rate packages I was receiving.. Each box was 68 lbs and was in that hamper thing.. I feel sorry for anything else that was in there when my boxes were dropped in.

When I got there the only things left in the hamper were my boxes and the lady behind the counter had to bring the hamper to me because she couldn't lift the boxes out.

~Mark

Greetings Brian.

As soon as you have a set of these ready, I'm in. Just got back from some moderate trail riding, and the number of time I smacked the shock bottoms was silly. The stock mount loves to dig into deep mud when you're trying to back out as well.

Just let me know when your set.

Score!

PM sent back, payment coming shortly and my thanks for making these great shock skids. This forum pays off again and again. If I ever make it out to one of those events, the first round is on me.

Brian, do you happen to know the part # for the bilstein's you run with these skid plates?

Any left, Brian?

Yes I have a pair to ship. You know your Explorer already has these though right? The only difference really is that mine flip the shock up and are made for bigger u-bolts. Let me know and we can set it up.

Yes I have a pair to ship. You know your Explorer already has these though right? The only difference really is that mine flip the shock up and are made for bigger u-bolts. Let me know and we can set it up.

Say Brian, I'd like to get a pair of them with the stock shock height.

How long are the bigger u-bolts, I do have 1.375" lowering blocks so I need a little longer than stock u-bolt?

Can you also do me a set of shackles for me as well, a stock length also?

Back