Installing or Programming Daytime Running lights (DRL) | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installing or Programming Daytime Running lights (DRL)

Wow....How's That For Service?

Well, that didn't work. I went back to the dealer that couldn't set the DRL's to the headlamps on my '15 Sport the first visit, with the information I obtained from this forum, and....they sent me packing.

Direct quote from the service rep, "...perhaps at another dealer. Here are your keys." Holy &*!? Apparently, the service tech got his panties severely bunched up, and he refused to work on the issue, having failed the first time. The service rep, having a fairly severe lack of testosterone (true, I am guessing), was unwilling to challenge the tech.

At least there was no charge for their refusal to do anything. I have a call in to their service manager, but I am not holding my breath.

So, I can either pay $120 to another dealer (they confessed to knowing nothing about this, so at least they are honest about their level of ignorance) to hook up the computer, or I can pay the couple hundred for the Motocrap module to diagnose this myself. Lovely.

This experience, thus far, is simply amazing. But not in a good way.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

RLCramer, all they should have to do is hook up the laptop and enable the option. See post 126 where dentalpain had his DRL turned on on his 2015 Sport.

Peter

RLCramer, all they should have to do is hook up the laptop and enable the option. See post 126 where dentalpain had his DRL turned on on his 2015 Sport.

Peter

That is what I told the service manager, who did, in fact, call me back. He then pulled a '15 Sport off their inventory and had his tech connect to it. He looked at IDS himself and then called me back. In his words, there is only a single option, to turn on the amber lights as DRL, and no second option to specify which light is used as the DRL.

So, I was very pleased that they went to this effort, but I am not so happy with the result.

I believe the next step is to obtain my own VCM II, as suggested by ETicket, and take care of this myself.

Dentalpain:

The non-HID equiped explorers can have either the Halogen headlight or the amber corner lights. I just had mine activated this weekend. I was invited back there and got to see the laptop options. We were almost stumped until we realized the DRL would only turn on when in drive. We backed out of the bay and they came on (15 sport).

So, did you have the amber corner lights or the headlights selected as the DRL?

I went back in this past weekend and I only have the amber light option. I am using the latest downloadable version (91.?) of IDS.

I would love someone to post a screen shot on the headlight option because I can't find it...

IDS 91.04 and 91.05 both report "Front Turn Lamps" as only option for DRL for a 2014 Explorer with halogen headlamps. I just verified this.

I don't know why but sometimes they change the options/settings in IDS. If both low beams and front turn lamps were option in prior versions that means that its probably still possible but it has to be done via direct entry of ABD and that takes research to figure out.

Jason

Dentalpain:

So, did you have the amber corner lights or the headlights selected as the DRL?

amber corner lights; when looking over the techs shoulder, I believe I only saw amber corner lights (no halogen) as the option. FYI: the car had to be in drive for the DRL to turn on, in park they will not activate.

IDS 91.04 and 91.05 both report "Front Turn Lamps" as only option for DRL for a 2014 Explorer with halogen headlamps. I just verified this.

I don't know why but sometimes they change the options/settings in IDS. If both low beams and front turn lamps were option in prior versions that means that its probably still possible but it has to be done via direct entry of ABD and that takes research to figure out.

Jason

Thanks for that... I thought I looked everywhere. I know when I tried v.86 it wouldn't even let me in the modules. Maybe I can find a back rev version somewhere.

I wonder if they took it out so Ford techs wouldn't mistakenly turn on the HiDs since they are getting more common now?

Realistically though, it looks good with the amber corner lights. Different than 99.9% of the others running around here.

Well, At Least The Red Cheeks Are A Normal Condition For Me

I wonder if they took it out so Ford techs wouldn't mistakenly turn on the HiDs since they are getting more common now?

Realistically though, it looks good with the amber corner lights. Different than 99.9% of the others running around here.

That reasoning sounds plausible. It is a good-looking vehicle, certainly, but I was after the safety aspect of the white light. Since it appears that selecting the headlamp is not an option with current IDS versions, I will have to look elsewhere for a solution.

Of course, I have reached this conclusion only AFTER I insisted to the dealer service rep (and service manager) that another '15 Sport owner had achieved what is now, apparently, not actually possible. Sigh.

Need to go through this entire thread later but wondering if the headlamp option is only on Canadian versions and modules are different?

Even though it might not be just a click away in IDS doesn't mean its not possible. Have to think outside the box. I bet it can be done.

As far as a tech accidentally turning on the HIDs as DRL, the BCM prevents this, it will fail programming if attempted.

Need to go through this entire thread later but wondering if the headlamp option is only on Canadian versions and modules are different?
I don't know that there is an option here. As you know, all vehicles here have DRL's by law. The Base, XLT and Sport have them on the headlights and the Limited all have them on the amber since all Limiteds in Canada come with HID as standard equipment.

Peter

It sounds like it might be worth nailing down the data that controls the DRL and whether its low beams or turn signals. My questions is if I put forth the time and effort (it could take hours of comparing different vehicles' data) is there someone that has IDS and a VCM2 that is willing to try it on their halogen headlight equipped Explorer that IDS only allows turn signals for DRL?

On the Highlanders I had, the DRL was always on the high beam lamps at a reduced power. I believe that is how most of them are set up here.

Peter

I believe I know the code location and the code for DRL off, headlights or turn signals. Does anyone with an explorer and IDS/VCM2 wish to try it out?

Jason

I'm In...With A Slight Delay

I believe I know the code location and the code for DRL off, headlights or turn signals. Does anyone with an explorer and IDS/VCM2 wish to try it out?

Jason

Jason

I am very interested in doing this. However, I have yet to obtain the VCM II. I will order one posthaste, if you are willing to bear with the delay.

Bob

Jason

I am very interested in doing this. However, I have yet to obtain the VCM II. I will order one posthaste, if you are willing to bear with the delay.

Bob

Whenever someone is ready hit me up. I just cringe at the thought that maybe your getting a 3rd party VCM2.....

I will need your VIN number as everything is vehicle specific.

Jason

Whenever someone is ready hit me up. I just cringe at the thought that maybe your getting a 3rd party VCM2.....

I will need your VIN number as everything is vehicle specific.

Jason

Agreed, cringing is ... appropriate. However, I am not aware of an alternative. I will respond back once everything is in place. Thanks.

Agreed, cringing is ... appropriate. However, I am not aware of an alternative. I will respond back once everything is in place. Thanks.

You could check into FMP (Ford Module Programmer) and a J2534 pass-thru device. FMP has a limited term use license available for a minimal cost. It could be a cheaper alternative.

IDS costs $700 a year and a new oem VCMII ranges from $1300-$1500.

I would also do this for a someone that can get the dealer to cooperate with me and give it a try.

Jason

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You could check into FMP (Ford Module Programmer) and a J2534 pass-thru device. FMP has a limited term use license available for a minimal cost. It could be a cheaper alternative.

IDS costs $700 a year and a new oem VCMII ranges from $1300-$1500.

I would also do this for a someone that can get the dealer to cooperate with me and give it a try.

Jason

My Chinese VCMII works fine and was 160.00. I have programmed my Mustang and explorer with no issues. Check out the Mustang forums, we use these VCMIIs all the time...

As to IDS, anyone can download the software and use it for three days. I have a laptop I just reset to new so I can download and use the software again if needed.

My sport (with 800 miles) just went into the shop. As soon as it comes out I will be glad to contact you about trying your solution.

Thomas

Back