Installing or Programming Daytime Running lights (DRL) | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installing or Programming Daytime Running lights (DRL)

My Chinese VCMII works fine and was 160.00. I have programmed my Mustang and explorer with no issues. Check out the Mustang forums, we use these VCMIIs all the time...

As to IDS, anyone can download the software and use it for three days. I have a laptop I just reset to new so I can download and use the software again if needed.

My sport (with 800 miles) just went into the shop. As soon as it comes out I will be glad to contact you about trying your solution.

Thomas

I intend to use the reference you provided to me previously for the hardware, and my solution for the laptop will involve the use of a virtual machine (essentially, it is the same as resetting a PC to new).

It seems fairly apparent that Jason is a pretty serious technician, at the least, and the gear he is recommending is intended for professional use. The cost isn't rational for my proposed use. Also, I have pretty-much worn out my welcome at the local dealer, so that idea is out.

I have a feeling your Sport will come out of the shop long before I get my VMCII device. (Ordered...delivery date currently unknown)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not a technician at all...lol. I just like to play and do what is said can't be done.

I intend to use the reference you provided to me previously for the hardware, and my solution for the laptop will involve the use of a virtual machine (essentially, it is the same as resetting a PC to new).

It seems fairly apparent that Jason is a pretty serious technician, at the least, and the gear he is recommending is intended for professional use. The cost isn't rational for my proposed use. Also, I have pretty-much worn out my welcome at the local dealer, so that idea is out.

I have a feeling your Sport will come out of the shop long before I get my VMCII device. (Ordered...delivery date currently unknown)

RL, it took about two weeks for mine to show up, and I didn't get any shipping confirmation either...

RL, it took about two weeks for mine to show up, and I didn't get any shipping confirmation either...

Ouch! Well, I suppose there is no real rush.

I will check back here from time to time to see if/when you and Jason have this sorted out.

So I promised when my 2015 Explorer XLT came in I would post how the DRL's were programmed. Most thought they would come as the amber Parking/Turn lamps. Well I am very happy to report they came as reduced power projector.

In the US to order the Explorer with DRL you have to have a Fleet code from what I read. The leasing company I ordered through has that. There was no option to pick and all the sticker says is Daytime Running Lights. I'm happy as if they had come with the ambers I would have talked ot the dealer about changing them.

I'll post pictures this weekend when I have more time.

So I promised when my 2015 Explorer XLT came in I would post how the DRL's were programmed. Most thought they would come as the amber Parking/Turn lamps. Well I am very happy to report they came as reduced power projector.

In the US to order the Explorer with DRL you have to have a Fleet code from what I read. The leasing company I ordered through has that. There was no option to pick and all the sticker says is Daytime Running Lights. I'm happy as if they had come with the ambers I would have talked ot the dealer about changing them.

I'll post pictures this weekend when I have more time.

so in essence, there was no programming, but a Ford factory option with the "fleet" model that was already on?

All Explorers that come with DRL activated from the factory have it on the headlamps at reduced power. The only exception would be a Limited with HID headlamps. On my MKT the DRL are on the foglights.

Peter

But has been stated previously (canada ones not included), in the US, only "fleet" designations have this from the factory... Which is what I was asking...

Sorry, should have mentioned I was replying to InspectorGadget's post. I think the option should be there for any U.S. buyer to chose DRL along with other options. Don't know why it would be limited to 'fleet' sales only if that is the case.

Peter

so in essence, there was no programming, but a Ford factory option with the "fleet" model that was already on?

It is an option that can be turned on OR off in the IDS software. For some silly reason in the US when the order is placed in order to select the option a fleet number has to be entered for it to be accepted.

I have been looking at maybe adding LED DRL's so asked the service guy when I picked up my Explorer if they could be turned off at a later date. He grabbed one of the senior techs who said yes the option can be changed. I have not seen the option so can not say what exactly the selections are.

It seems to me based on reports in this thread there are various options for DRL's. Amber parking/turn signal, Projector headlamp and as Peter9 said the fog lamps.

For what you guys with software and connectors I hope you figure out what options you're looking for. For now, I'm happy with my new EXP and the DRL's right where I want them.

Headlamps As DRL's...Seriously?

It is an option that can be turned on OR off in the IDS software. For some silly reason in the US when the order is placed in order to select the option a fleet number has to be entered for it to be accepted.

I have been looking at maybe adding LED DRL's so asked the service guy when I picked up my Explorer if they could be turned off at a later date. He grabbed one of the senior techs who said yes the option can be changed. I have not seen the option so can not say what exactly the selections are.

It seems to me based on reports in this thread there are various options for DRL's. Amber parking/turn signal, Projector headlamp and as Peter9 said the fog lamps.

For what you guys with software and connectors I hope you figure out what options you're looking for. For now, I'm happy with my new EXP and the DRL's right where I want them.

So you have an XLT, and I have a Sport. Apparently, the option for use of the headlamps as DRL's is not available on my '15. At least, according to my dealer. On the other hand, I never did get to look at the IDS settings, and my impression was they were trying to rid themselves of a nuisance (me). Even so, I still like this dealer, mostly.

Not so happy with Ford, though, as they seem to have made getting DRL's on a huge issue requiring technician intervention. There is a switch I can use to turn on fog lamps. Why not a software switch to turn on/choose DRL's?

The fact that you got the power-reduced headlamps on as DRL's is just icing on the cake for me. Actually.....salt in the wound.

My Chinese-made VCMII arrives today. We will see after that, assuming I do not somehow fry any of the various IC's in the rig.

It'll be interesting to see what options you are presented with when you plug it in. All I know is that in Canada, where DRL is the law, all models with the exception of the Limited have the DRL on the headlamps at reduced power.
Good luck with your setup.

Peter

Rl and I have been conversing about this... In my 14, I DONT have the option, but maybe Jason and I (or someone other than I) maybe able to figure out where that option is hiding......

I can't imagine they have different BCM loads based on fleet, non fleet, etc...

VMC Arrived, Now The Hard Part

Rl and I have been conversing about this... In my 14, I DONT have the option, but maybe Jason and I (or someone other than I) maybe able to figure out where that option is hiding......

I can't imagine they have different BCM loads based on fleet, non fleet, etc...

I, too, find it a little perplexing that the BCM firmware would be different. That seems like an awful lot of overhead for very little benefit.

So, Jason, if you are still monitoring, I am ready to try the settings on my '15. What is the best way to proceed? Private message?

I, too, find it a little perplexing that the BCM firmware would be different. That seems like an awful lot of overhead for very little benefit.

So, Jason, if you are still monitoring, I am ready to try the settings on my '15. What is the best way to proceed? Private message?

I am. If you want pm me your phone number for texting. It's faster than going through pm. You will need your vcm2 and working copy of ids. Hopefully you have tested it already to make sure the setup works and we can proceed from there. I will need your vin.

I am. If you want pm me your phone number for texting. It's faster than going through pm. You will need your vcm2 and working copy of ids. Hopefully you have tested it already to make sure the setup works and we can proceed from there. I will need your vin.

O.K. I have not tested the VCM II and IDS setup, yet. Probably will get the setup completed by tomorrow, after I provision a spare old laptop. I will then PM the phone number and VIN as suggested, if that is o.k.

BTW, IDS version that came with the unit is 86. I have downloaded version 91.05. For this procedure, does it matter which version is used?

O.K. I have not tested the VCM II and IDS setup, yet. Probably will get the setup completed by tomorrow, after I provision a spare old laptop. I will then PM the phone number and VIN as suggested, if that is o.k.

BTW, IDS version that came with the unit is 86. I have downloaded version 91.05. For this procedure, does it matter which version is used?

As an FYI, my version 86 didn't see the explorers modules. When I used 91, the modules (BCM, etc...) showed up. So short answer is yes.

As an FYI, my version 86 didn't see the explorers modules. When I used 91, the modules (BCM, etc...) showed up. So short answer is yes.

Now that I think of it that makes sense as it appears that you can't use a lower version than what it was programmed with and being a newer vehicle v86 was more than likely rather old at that point.

Jason

I sent you a PM. IDS is up to V92.01 as of now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am assuming you got busy with other things this weekend. Just let me know when your thinking of giving it a try.

Back