• Register Today It's free!

Clearing MyKey Settings Problems

Steve7647

Reaction score
City, State
Oak Lawn, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer
I was playing around with my new explorer and I created a myKey everything was fine until I got back in my car to go somewhere and it told me I have a speed limit of 40mph (something like that) when I went to go back under settings to change it the screen says created with mykey. When I go under settings their is no options for mykey anymore. If I go under information it say 1 mykey 9 miles on mykey (again something like that) then below that in gray it says 1 admin key. I only have one key for now I pick up the second one from the dealership on friday. How do I clear the mykey with out the mykey option under settings?

Also I tried it in the back up slot and out of the back up slot same results.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hopefully the other key you're getting from the dealer is already programmed for your vehicle. Otherwise you will have to have the dealer reprogram the PCM to clear out MyKey. There is no way to do it yourself with the key you accidentally programmed.

disable mykey setting without admin key

hi i am ahmad from iran and i bought a ford explorer xlt 2013 from UAE
and bring it here to iran and when i start the engine i setup a mykey setting
and now my car has speed limit to 130 KM/h.
now the problem is that i can not change or clear the mykey setting.
i know the instructions but i have just one key that i think it is not the admin key
so when i go to the setting i can not find the mykey setting and we
dont have the ford dealer in iran.please help me with that and tell me
if i can clear or change the mykey setting without admin key??????

I think, your only solution is to go to shop specialized in programming keys & ask them to clear the keys from your car & then reprogram your key and/or a new key. The equipment required for this process is usually available at Key shops, not only dealerships.

I wonder if this is something that disconnecting the battery for 10+ minutes would help with. Whoever sold you the vehicle should have had a second key (the car requires you always have an admin key - not all keys can be MyKeys); you might try contacting them and see if they have a second key.

I wonder if this is something that disconnecting the battery for 10+ minutes would help with. Whoever sold you the vehicle should have had a second key (the car requires you always have an admin key - not all keys can be MyKeys); you might try contacting them and see if they have a second key.
hi
i disconnect the battery for more than 1 hour but it not works.please tell me another way and i search all the key shops here in iran too and non of them cant fix it.
Is there any way to hack the setting or way like that???????:mad::mad::mad:

MyKey Reset

Hello IVT Team:
I recently purchased my 2013 Explorer and noticed that 1 MyKey has been programmed. I would like to clear it and re-program it with my own settings, but the instructions in the owner's manual for clearing MyKey are not working (hold down the OK button). I have two sets of keys and tried clearing with each one without success. How do I clear the current MyKey settings?

Hello IVT Team:
I recently purchased my 2013 Explorer and noticed that 1 MyKey has been programmed. I would like to clear it and re-program it with my own settings, but the instructions in the owner's manual for clearing MyKey are not working (hold down the OK button). I have two sets of keys and tried clearing with each one without success. How do I clear the current MyKey settings?
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
I'm guessing the non MyKey would be considered the 'Admin Key'. One is required in order to clear the MyKey ones. See page 72 in your Owner's Guide, MyKey Troubleshooting.
If still unsuccessful, you can try sending a PM to Rebecca (FordIVTteam) using this link; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=181992

Peter

Hello IVT Team:

Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
I'm guessing the non MyKey would be considered the 'Admin Key'. One is required in order to clear the MyKey ones. See page 72 in your Owner's Guide, MyKey Troubleshooting.
If still unsuccessful, you can try sending a PM to Rebecca (FordIVTteam) using this link; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=181992

Peter

Hi drgross & peterk9,

This issue would be best handled by my colleagues on the Ford Service team: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/member.php?u=157968

The MyKey feature doesn't fall under SYNC.

Shaay

Hey Guys, Ima having the same issue with My 2013 Fusion SE. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe

Hello,
I bought my 2013 Explorer Sport brand new from the dealer. about six months ago I took my explorer to my dealer for it's last service under my service plan. When I picked up my explorer I noticed that my speed was limited to 80 MPH. When I got home I was able to use my admin key to remove that restriction. Again, that was about six months ago. Last week I took my explorer to a mechanic that I trust. All I wanted was an oil change. Turns out the battery in my explorer died while it was on the rack being serviced. They told me I should replace the battery, Ok I will. They jumped the battery to start my explorer. On my way home the 80 MPH restriction was set again. When I got home I tried to remove the restriction with my admin key. However to my surprise, neither of my keys are admin keys anymore. I tried to access the MyKey menu but failed because the MyKey menu item does not exist for either of my keys. What is going on? How do I set one of my keys as an Admin key?

Hello,
I bought my 2013 Explorer Sport brand new from the dealer. about six months ago I took my explorer to my dealer for it's last service under my service plan. When I picked up my explorer I noticed that my speed was limited to 80 MPH. When I got home I was able to use my admin key to remove that restriction. Again, that was about six months ago. Last week I took my explorer to a mechanic that I trust. All I wanted was an oil change. Turns out the battery in my explorer died while it was on the rack being serviced. They told me I should replace the battery, Ok I will. They jumped the battery to start my explorer. On my way home the 80 MPH restriction was set again. When I got home I tried to remove the restriction with my admin key. However to my surprise, neither of my keys are admin keys anymore. I tried to access the MyKey menu but failed because the MyKey menu item does not exist for either of my keys. What is going on? How do I set one of my keys as an Admin key?

I've seen this question posted many times, including by me, on this forum. I've posted it elsewhere too. I've asked my non dealer mechanic, the FordIVTeam and other Ford owners. They all say the same, you have to take it to the dealer." I hate to be the guy that's negative about dealers/manufacturers, but this MyKey thing is not the wonderful product they promote. The darn thing is not user-friendly and the owner does not have the ability to manage it when it misbehaves. Instead owners are forced to pay an hour of labor and purchase a new key to correct programming problems. Come on Ford, how about some support?

To me it would seem that the bigger question would be "Why is this happening in the first place?" Doesn't appear to be a common problem.

Peter

For those of us with restrictions on our vehicles that we didn't set, and can't clear without throwing money at it, I admit my focus tends to skew more to "how" instead of "why," but you make a good point. I'll take either answer because in my mind nothing was fixed. I currently do not use the feature fearing another malfunction, so knowing why just may result in the long-term solution many owners are seeking.

Admin Key

.... same issue here, just got myself a 2013 Explorer, was given 1 key and has some restrictions, need to clear and/or make it to be Admin Key.

mtpina3,were you able to resolve the mykey issue? I purchased my vehicle recently and only have one key also. The only issue I'm having is turning off the back up camera beeps and them staying off. It must be the key.

mtpina3,were you able to resolve the mykey issue? I purchased my vehicle recently and only have one key also. The only issue I'm having is turning off the back up camera beeps and them staying off. It must be the key.
In my opinion the dealer should have supplied you or any buyer with 2 sets of keys. Having only 1 key means that there is another one 'out there' that, however unlikely, can be used on your vehicle. The "beeps" are not associated with the camera. They are part of the Revers Sensing System. The small sensors on the rear bumper. If you have been able to turn them off and they come back on when starting the vehicle it is likely because that is the "Default" condition for them. It should have nothing to do with the key(s).

Peter

Hi Peter, Thanks for your reply. I bought it from a used car dealer that I've been using since I moved to NC. He purchases his vehicles via auctions. My husband has ordered 3 keys for me (1 like I have already and 2 with the 5 buttons for auto start). So I guess the question about the sound then is how do I permanently turn the beeping off? It's fine on my 18yr olds Fusion but it drives me nuts on my truck. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Peter, Thanks for your reply. I bought it from a used car dealer that I've been using since I moved to NC. He purchases his vehicles via auctions. The previous owner is in FL. His info was still in the navigation settings. My husband has ordered 3 keys for me (1 like I have already and 2 with the 5 buttons for auto start). So I guess the question about the sound then is how do I permanently turn the beeping off? It's fine on my 18yr olds Fusion but it drives me nuts on my truck. Thanks
If the default for the beeping is ON then you would have to see if that setting can be changed. I'm not sure if that is in the BCM (Body Control Module) or not. The dealer would have to hook up his IDS tool, usually a laptop, to access it. There are members here that have changed various settings using Forscan. Perhaps they can advise if this can be done. There are a few threads on Forscan but I can't recall if anyone turned off Reverse Sensing.

Peter

Back