Exhaust Options for the Sport | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Exhaust Options for the Sport

Exhaust option

Best bang for the buck...View attachment 79715

DSC_2023.jpg

View attachment 79717

View attachment 79718

IMG_0006.jpg

View attachment 79720

Attachments

• 1A Alfred Court October 2014 103.jpg
    1A Alfred Court October 2014 103.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 532
  • 1A Alfred Court October 2014 104.jpg
    1A Alfred Court October 2014 104.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 554
  • 1A Alfred Court October 2014 107.jpg
    1A Alfred Court October 2014 107.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 511
  • 1A Alfred Court October 2014 085.jpg
    1A Alfred Court October 2014 085.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 532

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have never seen that X pipe, can I ask what it does?

Thanks that was actually very interesting....

Could someone let me know if I need a 2 1/2 inch inlet/outlet x pipe, or a 3 inch? I have a 2012 xlt. I am thinking of doing this mod and would like to know the correct sized x pipe to use. Thanks

Awesome read!

I was doing some reading on this and from what I can find there is no advantage to either and h or x pipe witha turbo setup since they eliminate the ability for the crossovers to affect scavenging. I was looking at replacing the mid resonator with just straight pipes to free up the exaust and get a little more sound. What we need is a 3 inch dual kit!

Curious, can't most performance oriented muffler shops build exhaust "systems" in house? At the end of the day, seems like they can pick up your choice of mufflers/resonator and then build/bend piping to order as these shops should have bending equipment in-house?

Seems there isn't a ton of options on how to go about getting pipe from the cats on to the back of the car...

Is there any reason you guys can think of that we shouldn't explore that? Am I severely oversimplifying the process?

Yes a lot of performance oriented exhaust shops can bend and custom fabricate. The real issue you run in to there is what is the quality of the metal they are using, and what is the price going to be because at that point its going to be considered custom work. (Its usually just taking readily available manufacturer products and putting them together, specifically the ones they endorse).
You definitely can find places that will do it though. Just keep in mind that these products fabricated by Corsa, Flowmaster, etc, all have the absolute latest state of the art technology and science behind their products and warrant them as well.

Got it.

I'm going to explore having a shop replace from the cats on back stock piping with 3" stainless and likely go with the previously mentioned Flowmaster muffs and try to get the stock sport tips extended out a few inches and have at it. I suspect pricing may compare favorably to one of the "off the shelf kits" available but I could very well be in for a shocker. I'll report back my findings

Got it.

I'm going to explore having a shop replace from the cats on back stock piping with 3" stainless and likely go with the previously mentioned Flowmaster muffs and try to get the stock sport tips extended out a few inches and have at it. I suspect pricing may compare favorably to one of the "off the shelf kits" available but I could very well be in for a shocker. I'll report back my findings

I would like to see if we could get 3 or 4 people to commit to buying the LMS Corsa cat-back. 1400 is just to much in my book.

I had a little over 1400 in the FULL exhaust on my GT500 !!

I would like to see if we could get 3 or 4 people to commit to buying the LMS Corsa cat-back. 1400 is just to much in my book.

I had a little over 1400 in the FULL exhaust on my GT500 !!

I feel ya on that.

Funny thing is, we just ordered a 2015 M3 for my girlfriend and I got to looking into exhaust systems for that thing.. they start at around 3k and go up dramatically!

Suddenly $1400 doesn't seem so bad...lol!

^^This. If you look at other name brand quality exhausts (true dual) this is actually a very reasonable price they are asking.
Of course as consumers we would all like cheAper prices on everything. I would be highly surprised if they offered any type of group buy discount. People, remember these are still Corsa exhaust that they are selling not some cheap crap they put together with parts off of ebay. I've got the down pipes and the exhaust and I can tell you I have absolutely zero regrets and and I get tons of compliments on the look and sound.

I don't think this is reasonable at all... I can get a full 3" Corsa cat-back for a Raptor for 895.00 and I had just over 1400 in my GT500's exhaust that was from the long tube headers to the 3" x-pipe to the 3" stainless steel cat-back.

Is anyone aware of any catback options other than the Corsa and the Magnaflow for the Sport? I like how the Borla sounds on the SHO and the F-150 but when I spoke to them they said they had no intention of putting out a system for the Sport. My understanding is Stainless Works is supposed to be working on one but I haven't seen anything yet. I'm trying to avoid going the custom route $$$.

Here is custom made with borla components: http://youtube.com/watch?v=I2YU6R4z-yA enjoy it :thumbsup:

Niiice...that is actually the sound I was looking for but unfortunately we had to move on to another vehicle

This may be a dumb question sorry but do we HAVE to order the Corsa exhaust through Livernois? Im trying to avoid having my tips stamped with their logo.

I've given up on 3" exhaust w/ custom mandrel bent pipe here... I haven't been able to find a shop that would do it thus far. So I decided to do 2 flows and potentially take out the res - next week, we shall see.

X Pipe

I replaced the 3rd cat and resonator with an X pipe and a straight pipe. The X Pipe is supposed to eliminate any possibility of drone in the cabin since the resonator was removed. A lot of muscle cars use an x pipe or H pipe and I believe it is supposed to help balance out the exhaust somehow. Anyway I have a custom exhaust shop next to me and they said this would make mine less restrictive and lighter having removed the cat and resonator. It isn't much louder than stock and has a nice little deeper tone now with no drone. I may change out the mufflers in the future but it works for now. I didn't want to drop $1.500 on the Corsa and this was a much cheaper option. I also had them cut off my factory 3.5" tips and replace them with some stainless 4" tips. Makes it look a little different.
Sorry for not responding to the post. I am not here much since I have made a few mods. Good luck guys.

I replaced the 3rd cat and resonator with an X pipe and a straight pipe. The X Pipe is supposed to eliminate any possibility of drone in the cabin since the resonator was removed. A lot of muscle cars use an x pipe or H pipe and I believe it is supposed to help balance out the exhaust somehow. Anyway I have a custom exhaust shop next to me and they said this would make mine less restrictive and lighter having removed the cat and resonator. It isn't much louder than stock and has a nice little deeper tone now with no drone. I may change out the mufflers in the future but it works for now. I didn't want to drop $1.500 on the Corsa and this was a much cheaper option. I also had them cut off my factory 3.5" tips and replace them with some stainless 4" tips. Makes it look a little different.
Sorry for not responding to the post. I am not here much since I have made a few mods. Good luck guys.

Thanks for the additional info. That really helps. I did some more research on the Xcrossover deal and apparently there is a good amount of info out there stating exactly what you say, the X helps lower drone in many cars while allowing for more sound with the removal of stock resonators.

So with that, I went ahead and ordered a magnaflow unit off of amazon and will try to get it installed this weekend.. will report back on sound and some clips once done!

i look foward to hearing your review. this is something im considering

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i look foward to hearing your review. this is something im considering

All done, I think :)

This is the X Pipe I ended up buying -

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XQO0VG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are the mufflers I had installed as well just for reference -

http://www.amazon.com/Flowmaster-94...&qid=1414298701&sr=1-3&keywords=super+44+2.25

I kept the stock tips but had the exhaust shop push them out about an 1.25" or so.

My thoughts -

Going from stock to just the rear mufflers changed out I was a BIT disappointed on the change as it was pretty mild. Definitely livelier but still pretty muted.

Yesterday I had the resonator replaced with the Xpipe and boy, there is a pretty drastic difference between stock and now and a good amount of difference from muffs only to muffs + Xpipe. It is pretty deep and throaty. Funny thing, as I pull into the garage now, the kitchen resonates like no other with all the dishes rattling and what not. Garage door rattles quite a bit as well. Not sure the woman is going to like that...we'll see.

I haven't spent a ton of time driving on the freeway yet so I haven't decided if I am OK with the sound over long distances. Like I said, it is pretty loud, even in the cabin. Drone - I suppose its subjective. There is a spot right around 2k RPM I think, in 6th gear that initially was annoying but I think I'm over that now. Again, another thing I'll have to hear about from the woman if that's going to be a huge issue or not.

Anyway, not much else to say. I'm pretty sure I wont be doing any further changes unless I *have to*. Overall, happy with the setup for now and would recommend it to anyone looking for a relatively loud setup. I should note, it is still possible to hold a conversation in the cabin without having to stress or yell to talk over the sound.

Hope the videos help anyone decide which way to go. PLEASE ignore my mess of a garage - I have quite a bit of projects going on all at the same time + my paintball gear has been out and not put away for a while now :) Thanks for all the contributors in this and the related exhaust thread for ideas and thoughts - I certainly appreciate it!

All 3 videos captured with the same device - HTC One M8 for anyone that cares.

2014 Ford Explorer Stock Exhaust in Garage
http://youtu.be/ll1GL9mHu9o

Ford Explorer Flowmaster Super 44 Mufflers - in Garage
http://youtu.be/OBqc8sB0EKc

2014 Ford Explorer Super 44's and Resonator replaced with XPipe - Exhaust in Garage
http://youtu.be/lQYmFQ7_EMA

Back