Installing or Programming Daytime Running lights (DRL) | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installing or Programming Daytime Running lights (DRL)

Dealer Programmed My Lights

I think it might be who you asked. I asked one guy while having my Explorer serviced and he said no, of course, I think he is an ass anyway.

I came back to my normal service rep, cut some jokes about different things, then asked, sure, no problem she replied, we've done that for a few people.

Got my parking lights as drl's now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any one having issue with getting their drl's switched to the amber park lights? I have been to 2 dealerships and they tell me its not giving them an option on the scan tool to switch them for my model. 01/14 sport.

Scan tool? They need to hook up the laptop. I had this done

The dealer "scan tool/Interface" connects to a laptop where the software is located. I know from this site that lots have had it done. I'm asking to hear from those who have been told it's not possible before I resort to buying a knock off on ebay and trying it myself.

Any one having issue with getting their drl's switched to the amber park lights? I have been to 2 dealerships and they tell me its not giving them an option on the scan tool to switch them for my model. 01/14 sport.

It is more than likely operator error. Many MANY dealers have techs who have no idea how to use the software unless they are shown. I happen to have IDS (the software they use) and have a PI utility saved and will make a quick video of IDS DRL activation. Check my facebook page and it will be on there shortly.

Jason

The tech has to log into the BCM and select the light option for daytime running lights. First step is to turn them on. then a second step involves telling the bcm which lights.

Well, I followed what Ridetherock (post#128) did after being turned away from a few dealers. It took 5 days to get my vcm II, just over $220 bucks with duty and all. It took a few minutes to navigate around the software, but it worked like a charm. It only gave me the option to activate the amber lamps for drl's as a few have mentioned in earlier posts. No warnings or anything popped up. I did one other thing. I recently installed my winter tires and noticed my speedo was out a bit. There is the option to change your tire size as well so everything reads properly, I did this as well.

Well, I followed what Ridetherock (post#128) did after being turned away from a few dealers. It took 5 days to get my vcm II, just over $220 bucks with duty and all. It took a few minutes to navigate around the software, but it worked like a charm. It only gave me the option to activate the amber lamps for drl's as a few have mentioned in earlier posts. No warnings or anything popped up. I did one other thing. I recently installed my winter tires and noticed my speedo was out a bit. There is the option to change your tire size as well so everything reads properly, I did this as well.

If you would rather the low beams be used we can try something. No one ever did take me up on it before. Well there was one person that wanted to but his clone VCM2 was junk and it was dead.

Jason

If you would rather the low beams be used we can try something. No one ever did take me up on it before. Well there was one person that wanted to but his clone VCM2 was junk and it was dead.

Jason

I have the sport with the halogen lights, they were the drl's. I wanted to switch to the ambers to explore some HID/upgrade options.

I have the sport with the halogen lights, they were the drl's. I wanted to switch to the ambers to explore some HID/upgrade options.

Ok....weird how they come stock with the halogen DRL but that isn't an option in IDS. BTW what version of IDS are you using?

And BTW your smarter than most Ford Techs already by figuring how to do it! LOL

I know it sucks that the sport has a "cheaper" headlight option. My vcm II came with v91, I downloaded and installed v92.01. I have v92.04 upgrade as well but never updated it yet. Once I connected the interface it must have done a firmware update. I would not have know how to do it if it wasn't for this forum. I'm a factory trained VW Technician and have used Ross Tech's VCDS to do some crazy stuff on customers cars. My brother has a '13 Exp Limited with HID's and I just knew there had to be a way to get those amber lights working on the sport. This forum provided the step by step procedure. In IDS it only showed the amber light as a selectable option once I got into the DRL section, I might try to hook back up and see what comes up to switch back to the halogens.

Poke around the programming and of course you can read your DTCs. Its very interesting to see what you can do. Options change with different IDS versions. Its kinda weird.

Aftermarket DRL LED Light Bars

I am about to install 2x Putco 10010 LED light bars into the grill of my 2013 explorer limited with HID's.

I am confused about the DRL feature (or lack thereof). I want these light bars to behave as DRL's, but I see many have had trouble getting them "enabled" without convincing a Ford Tech to stick his neck out for you.

As a workaround to "DRL", I'm thinking about just having my installer wire these light bars to come on when the ignition switch is activated (even with remote start).

Would there be any drawbacks to doing it this way? I think the lights even come with a switch I can install, but I don't know if I need it...

DRL Harness

I installed aftermarket drl's and used a drl harness. I prefer the one that dims your drl's when the headlights are turned on. Made for a clean install.

Here's an example of one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Daytime-Running-Light-DRL-Relay-Harness-On-Off-Switch-Reduce-Bright-Style-CE-/161548616566?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item259d0c4376&vxp=mtr

Thank you for the reply. I don't think I want the DRL's dimmed, so would there be any other reason to use a harness? I think it might still be simpler to have him wire to the ignition.

Won't you be blinding on coming traffic at night? There is a harness that turns off drl's when headlights come on.

I don't know how bright they'll be. Would it be simple to implement later?

I would think you'd want to research before spending $'s on a mod that might be troublesome.

Not sure what you mean by "Hooked up the laptop". Please clarify

I can CONFIRM that factory DRLs can be enabled on the Explorer.

Unfortunately, I promised the techs that I would NOT disclose who/where I had it done as the IDS laptop states that any changes to the BCM are not authorized and the techs are solely liable for any changes not authorized by Ford.

Ford's online service manual states that DRLs cannot be programmed by the dealership and is only available on Canadian and Fleet vehicles. The service department wanted the opportunity to play with it so they agreed to check it out and they let me see.

Hooked up the laptop, confirmed VIN/specs. Then went to exterior lighting, daytime running lights. Now the warning pops up about unauthorized changes. I gave him my "blessing" and he moved forward. There are two options: Daytime Running Lights - disable or enable AND Daytime Running Lights - None or Parking Lamps(HID)/Headlamps(Halogen). The first one tells the BCM to enable or disable the DRL function and the second one tells it which lights to illuminate.

On the non-HID models the headlamps come on with reduced power while the HID vehicles have the turn signal (3157?) bulb light up.

Once that is complete, the tech needs to do a key cycle thing to clear codes and VOILA! DRLs enabled.

Enjoy and press the dealership that it can be done if you really want it... Now make this a sticky!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum gutguy1. :wavey:
The Ford technicians have a laptop that they can hook up to the Explorer to access various systems of the vehicle. There are several posts about that.
I assume you have an Explorer. If so, it would be very helpful if you added the model (Base. XLT, Limited, Sport) to your profile in answering future concerns you may have. All it shows now is 2013.

Peter

Back