Window Tinting | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Window Tinting

Tint Law for Alberta is the same as for B.C. according to what I found on the Internet.
No film is allowed on the driver's or front passenger's side windows. The side windows behind the driver may have any kind of film applied and that also applies to the rear window as long as the vehicle is equipped with two exterior rear view mirrors.

Peter

Yes Peter, I know! I have lived here for 30+ years (LOL). You remind of my dad in the '90's, HaHa. I guess I am still a rebel without a cause, and my wife and three kids too
If you get pulled over for the tint, the five O, will usually give you 48 hours to remove it (without a fine), as long as you don't get cheeky with them about it. That is why I want to go the cheap route, if I have to remove it, then I am not out $200+!
I have only tinted the front windows once on an all black '89 Daytona and I loved the look of it (my dad didn't like the fact that I was purposely breaking the law);).

Thanks for the reply, I may order some tint soon!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Had my front windows done today 20% and it's the exact match.

Tints. What did you get (CA-ON responses appreciated!)

In Ontario no maximum percentage applies. It's the officer's discretion (actual regulation seems contradict this position) that will set a fine or not.

What are the rear tints on a 2014 Explorer? (I've searched, not much comes up re. tints)

I ask as I've had tints before, but went lighter in the front, which to me, looked dumb.

Can you post pics of your tint job making note of percentage applied? Any problems (for Ontarions)?

Thanks!

I believe the rears are tinted at 20% VLT (Visible Light Transmission). If you need, I can pull my tint meter out and read it.

I got my front windows tinted at 20% and they are about dead even.

The Motor Vehicle Regulations (MVR)on tint vary between Provinces in Canada, so your right to check the Ontario MVR

The issue is a lot of new vehicle front OEM glass is coming tinted already and there's nothing Law Enforcement can do about OEM tinting.

Usually its no tint allowed from the drivers shoulder forward, but that's discretionary depending on who pulls you over.

I put 28% tint on the fronts and you can still see the driver so it draws less heat but you can always get what I like to refer to as a "Traffic Knob" who wants to ticket you.

One of the keys to not having an issue is to have the installer make sure the tint goes right to the top of the glass. The officer usually rolls the wind down exposing the top edge of the glass to see if they can feel the "lip" of a tint material. If its all the way up it will appear OEM.

In Ontario no maximum percentage applies. It's the officer's discretion (actual regulation seems contradict this position) that will set a fine or not.

What are the rear tints on a 2014 Explorer? (I've searched, not much comes up re. tints)

I ask as I've had tints before, but went lighter in the front, which to me, looked dumb.

Can you post pics of your tint job making note of percentage applied? Any problems (for Ontarions)?

Thanks!
In Canada, as Sgt1411 posted, the tint laws vary from province to provine. Here is what I've found regarding Ontario tint laws.

Ontario - For the driver’s compartment, right and left, no film can be installed that would substantially obscure visibility from the exterior. Behind the driver’s compartment, any film can be installed.

Also, from a police officer on a forum discussing the Ontario Highway Traffic Act;

Colour coating obscuring interior
73(3) No person shall drive on a highway a motor vehicle on which the surface of the windshield or of any window to the direct left or right of the driver’s seat has been coated with any coloured spray or other coloured or reflective material that substantially obscures the interior of the motor vehicle when viewed from outside the motor vehicle

The guideline that is typically used is can the driver be clearly seen, can the seatbelt be clearly seen.

Peter

Window Tinting Questions on Matching

Got the front windows done today with 3M 35% and absolutely hate it. The shop did a great job on the install but the color does not match the rest of the car. It is a bluish black and the factory is a brownish black. I had Suntek 35% on my last car and it was a lot darker than the 3M 35%.

Question is what tint brands and percentages did you guys use and does it match the factory tint? Thanks

Got the front windows done today with 3M 35% and absolutely hate it. The shop did a great job on the install but the color does not match the rest of the car. It is a bluish black and the factory is a brownish black. I had Suntek 35% on my last car and it was a lot darker than the 3M 35%.

Question is what tint brands and percentages did you guys use and does it match the factory tint? Thanks

20% 3M

Since its 3M I'm going to assume its the same issue where it looks different from inside of the car? Or is the 20% better looking than the 35

Since its 3M I'm going to assume its the same issue where it looks different from inside of the car? Or is the 20% better looking than the 35

No mine looks great. Its dark and during the daytime its just fine. No purple effect at all. I think its the 35%

Thanks. Time to redo my tint.

Why did my thread get put into this one? How are people going to see it?

Rear tint is 17% to be exact.

Just for reference.

Darren

Got the front windows done today with 3M 35% and absolutely hate it. The shop did a great job on the install but the color does not match the rest of the car. It is a bluish black and the factory is a brownish black. I had Suntek 35% on my last car and it was a lot darker than the 3M 35%. Question is what tint brands and percentages did you guys use and does it match the factory tint? Thanks

I have Sun-Gard tint on my Sport and have used the same brand on all my previous cars. Matched the stock coloured windows perfectly.
I've got 30% in the back, making it almost limo black, and 50% in the front. But will soon replace the front for the 30% as well as 50% looks almost nonexistent with the moon roof visor open.

FYI, the front side windows must allow 70% light passage in Quebec.

Peter

It wasn't a question but just a note. Your last statement in the initial post seems to suggest that 50% is too light (seemingly non existent). Am I reading that correctly? I would think 50% would be darker than 30% with the moonroof open. Perhaps I'm missing something.

Peter

Not sure of the percentages, but it's dark :D

I had mine done 'limo' on the rear, one shade lighter than that on the rear sides and one shade lighter than that on the fronts. I like it except I can see ot at night. I've used this same tint 'formula' on at least three other cars using the same shop and had no problems with visibility. So either the factory tint is much darker on the E Sport or the smallish greenhouse obscures too much light. Not gonna change it, just live with my choice:eek:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just had my '14 Explorer Limited front side windows done at 35% and the windshield done at 55%, was kind of worried about the front and being harassed by the police, but there is really no way for them to test the front with a meter. As long as the sides are 35% all is good.

Back