• Register Today It's free!

2001 Explorer Sport body mounts

Ford madness

Reaction score
City, State
Richmond BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer Sport
I Have just completed replacing the #2 ,3 & 5 Position (counting front to back) body mounts on my2001 Explorer Sport. Not an easy job. I used Dorman p/n 924059 & 924060. Do not use these parts. They are made in India. The bottom threaded part on 2 of them had no threads and 2 of them had the threads cut on an angle. I managed to re-use the original Ford threaded parts which were far superior. Buy them from Ford or a USA manufacturer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Although "certain" Dorman parts such as plastic intake manifolds and thermostat housings seem
to offer decent build quality, the Dorman brand name doesn't exactly instill confidence. JMO.

Thanks for the reply. I will be contacting the supplier in regards to these parts and hopefully get some compensation

Many here with 2001-02 Sports have used the Daystar KF04009BK polyurethane body mount kit with great results. If you
haven't priced the the foam OEM mounts you may be in for a price shock. With the Daystar kit you must reuse the factory hardware and shells. Search body mount bushings on this forum, MANY threads. Also see reviews in the link below. GL

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=KF04009BK

Yes the the Ford parts are ridiculously priced. Jere in BC they quoted me $260-$280 just one half of each mount. You would think that Ford would have changed to abetter material by now. I have installed the Dorman parts now so will see how they stand up. I did see the poly mounts on line and probably should have used them. I will check out threads on this site for future use. Thanks for the info. Rick

Many here with 2001-02 Sports have used the Daystar KF04009BK polyurethane body mount kit with great results. If you
haven't priced the the foam OEM mounts you may be in for a price shock. With the Daystar kit you must reuse the factory hardware and shells. Search body mount bushings on this forum, MANY threads. Also see reviews in the link below. GL

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=KF04009BK

I know this is an old thread, but I can't find much info on sourcing the correct kit. I have a 2003 Explorer Sport (2-door). Which, I thought - until reading the above quoted post - was essentially the same as 2001-2002 Sports. Now my paranoia has me concerned about the omission of the "2003".

Will the KF04009BK kit work on my 2-door 2003 Explorer Sport?

Ford really wasn't thinking when they decided to confuse the masses by offering both a "Sport" and a "Sport Trac" model, combined with awkward, overlapping model years of the three (i.e., the 2-door Explorer facelift in 2001; the 4-door staying the same for another year and then changing to an even more different design; then cutting the 2-door altogether after 2003, but the Sport Trac continued on until 2010? wtf, Ford? lol :eek: )

Very intriguing. Has anybody tried them yet?

I just put the 4009BK on my 2002 Sport last weekend. It will work just fine on your 03. They are what you'd expect of urethane bushings. A bit on the stiff side, but if you had 0 bushings like I did, its a world of difference.

I followed a few of the stickies from the forum and they really helped avoid pitfalls on the install.

Bumping this....
Do I need 1 set or 2 sets of the 4009Bk's bushings for my 02 sport?

Is that better then the daystar ones? The DIY's I found have the Daystars,

Best advice would probably be from Suspension.com who sells both kits. I'm inclined to believe the DST DFM002 would be a perfect fit since they are made for two door Sports, not four doors like the Daystar KF04009. You'd be surprised how much 1/4" body mount height difference makes when it comes to door and panel alignment. Keep us posted and good luck.

Suspension.com - Support

I do have one question that after all the research I've done and can't find a clear answer. I have to do the bushings on mt wife's 01 sport 2 door, already looked at all the bushings and know what ones I wanna get, but I'm going to need to replace the hardware and need to know what people are doing for it such as how long of bolts, size of washers, where to get it all from? Can anyone please help me with that part specifically?

Issue is the Ford body mount shells are NOT sold separately, and the complete mounts must be purchased at crazy OE prices. Alternative is finding used shells from a salvage yard and using the aftermarket polyurethane replacements. Dorman rubber mounts are sold individually are another option that includes the shells and hardware, but are not cheap either.
http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,2001,explorer+sport,4.0l+v6,1366679,body,body+mount,673

If not buying OEM bolts, check Fastenal, etc. (M12 x 1.75)
Frame and Body Mounting Description and Operation

Chassis Frame for 2001 Ford Explorer Sport

How many shops hours would normally be quoted for this work? All of them? I plan on taking out the interior already. That I can do. I bought the mounts from suspension.com. I went through the mounts visually & the hardware appears to be ok & in usable shape.
Thanks

Most have done the whole job in a weekend providing you have a clean undercarriage. I was alone and replaced the "A" firewall and "B" pillar foam mounts in less than five hours. Propane torch to soften the overused blue factory threadlock compound, and a strong electric impact with extensions made the job surprisingly easy. Hardest part for me was getting clearance from the parking brake cable to remove and replace the mounts on the drivers side.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Found a guy. Charged me $300 & I bought the mounts. I took the interior out & the spare. Still took 9 hours straight. He told me he never wants to see my Explorer again. He was PISSED. He broke 1 bolt. The #1 drivers side. He wound up being able to save the hardware & found a long bolt to replace it with .
I will say the ride is SO much better. I understand some say this isn't bad but no way I am ever getting a vehicle where this needs to be done again. I had NO IDEA this was a major problem.

Back