• Register Today It's free!

Sport wheels/grill on XLT?

wesunc96

Reaction score
City, State
Charleston, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer
I'm 90% sure I'm buying a new 2015 Explorer. I want the look of the Sport, but without the EcoBoost Engine (mpg is more important to me than power). Has anyone put the Sport wheels and grill on an XLT? I'm a little worried that there are some other, subtle differences between the Sport and XLT that will keep it from looking good. I know the Sport sits a little lower than the XLT, and it comes with "blackout" headlights. I'm not sure how important the blackout headlights are to the overall look, or if the height difference will matter.

Any thoughts/feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you're getting a 2015 XLT then just add the appearance package. It gives you the 20" Sport Wheels, Explorer Hood Badge, Magnetic Painted Grill, Painted badge on the liftgate and best of all......Leather Trimmed Miko Suede Seats.

If you want the blacked out tail lights then just buy the Lamin-X vinyl covers.

In regards to lowering it, unless you live in an area where it never snows or you will never take it off road, I wouldn't want it lower.

I actually got this package "for free" on my 2015 XLT.

I really liked the Appearance package until I saw the seats are not fully leather. I thought this was going to give me exactly what I was looking for, but the suede inserts seems like they're only half-leather seats. I have small kids and I need all-the-way leather seats...I'm expecting stuff getting spilled on my seats.

I really liked the Appearance package until I saw the seats are not fully leather. I thought this was going to give me exactly what I was looking for, but the suede inserts seems like they're only half-leather seats. I have small kids and I need all-the-way leather seats...I'm expecting stuff getting spilled on my seats.

The seats are "half-leather" I suppose. When the dealer subscribed them to me, I wasn't really interested until I saw and sat in them. Not only did the Miko inserts add a bit of flare to the interior, they also felt more comfortable to me. I've owned nothing but cars with leather for the past 15 years and these Miko seats were refreshing. The leather on these seats also has some nice looking stitching that matches the inserts.

Here is a link in case you're interested. Miko is actually waterproof and stain resistant. Some other cars you may find it in consist of BMW 7 Series, Mercedes, Audi, Cadillac and Land Rover. I haven't spilled anything on my car seats yet but we do have a Miko suede couch in our family room that I spilled Iced Tea on. I immediately started cleaning it with warm water and you can't even tell anything spilled there. It really does hold up well and I'm thinking it should hold up better than leather since it isn't prone to cracking, tearing or splitting. All of my previous leather seats showed stretch marks after a couple years of use. These Miko inserts are exactly where the leather always wears so maybe they will keep everything looking nice for a longer period of time.

http://www.cardesignnews.com/site/process/design_services/display/store4/item186834/

If fuel efficiency is the top priority, then the Ecoboost is exactly what you want. A tuned EcoBoost gets better mileage than the N/A V6. Of course, if you get the FWD, you can get the EB engine in the XLT, unless I'm mistaken.

If fuel efficiency is the top priority, then the Ecoboost is exactly what you want. A tuned EcoBoost gets better mileage than the N/A V6. Of course, if you get the FWD, you can get the EB engine in the XLT, unless I'm mistaken.

All Explorers are either FWD or 4WD and the only Ecoboost you can get with FWD is not a 6 cyl.

I'm 90% sure I'm buying a new 2015 Explorer. I want the look of the Sport, but without the EcoBoost Engine (mpg is more important to me than power). Has anyone put the Sport wheels and grill on an XLT? I'm a little worried that there are some other, subtle differences between the Sport and XLT that will keep it from looking good. I know the Sport sits a little lower than the XLT, and it comes with "blackout" headlights. I'm not sure how important the blackout headlights are to the overall look, or if the height difference will matter.

Wow, I thought I was the only one that wants to do this as well. I love the Sport but don't want a rough ride. I just like the looks. At the very least I would do the Sport grill and headlights, maybe even the tailights.

How hard is it to swap Sport grills?

I'm torn between buying and blacking out a 2015 like this or getting the 2016 refresh all-together.

Wow, I thought I was the only one that wants to do this as well. I love the Sport but don't want a rough ride. I just like the looks. At the very least I would do the Sport grill and headlights, maybe even the tailights.

I'm torn between buying and blacking out a 2015 like this or getting the 2016 refresh all-together.

Rough ride? I had three compliments from three different people saying how nice my sport rode. I agree with them. If anything, the sport is set up to ride smooth to the point that it isnt very "sporting" to drive aggressively at highway speed.

Buzz

As far as fuel economy goes, there is little difference between the regular 3.5L engine and the 3.5L Ecoboost. The Ecoboost gets slightly fewer MPG. The ratings shown are 17/24 for the N.A. engine and 16/22 for the Ecoboost although you may likely not achieve either. The Sport has a slightly stiffer suspension. If you are looking at putting Sport wheels on an XLT you will spend quite a bit of $$ since you can't order the XLT that way, so it may be an option to check out after market wheel options. There are threads where members have painted the grille black with very good results.

Peter

I think the 2015 XLT can come with the "Explorer" badge on the hood now; but my question is, why would they have that option for the XLT and not the Limited? Isn't Limited better than XLT?

Rough ride? I had three compliments from three different people saying how nice my sport rode. I agree with them. If anything, the sport is set up to ride smooth to the point that it isnt very "sporting" to drive aggressively at highway speed.

Buzz
+1
Mine too.

I'd love to know this as well. I bought an Black Explorer Limited and would love to swap my grill and headlights for the Sport grill/headlights.

Yeah, you get a little softer ride with the XLT, but the whole point of the 2015 appearance package is to get a similar Sport look without the extra $$$ for the HP.

Just another way for Ford to spruce up sales on a model that has been around a few years.

I will say, IMO, the Sport 20" are much better looking than the appearance package 20".

I think Ford did this on purpose. They probably don't cost Ford as much and won't alienate Sport owners.

I noticed this on BMW's. The M sport package on non M BMW's does not have as nice looking wheels as the real M wheels.

Instead of $315 for the interceptor grill, $25 can of black Plasti Dip should do.

I like my XLT as is, but if I was going to go the blackout route, instead of $315 for the interceptor grill or I think $400 or so for the Sport grill, I'd just go the Plasti Dip route. To each their own, though.

Instead of $315 for the interceptor grill, $25 can of black Plasti Dip should do.

I like my XLT as is, but if I was going to go the blackout route, instead of $315 for the interceptor grill or I think $400 or so for the Sport grill, I'd just go the Plasti Dip route. To each their own, though.
Except plasti-dip comes off. If you want to constantly refinish it, go ahead. I can't fathom buying a $40K vehicle and using plasti-dip on it.

I have a 2014 limited and added a Sport grill. It looks much better with the sport grill. The grills are NOT the same so you won't get the same look simply plasti-dipping the standard grill.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As far as fuel economy goes, there is little difference between the regular 3.5L engine and the 3.5L Ecoboost. The Ecoboost gets slightly fewer MPG. The ratings shown are 17/24 for the N.A. engine and 16/22 for the Ecoboost although you may likely not achieve either. The Sport has a slightly stiffer suspension. If you are looking at putting Sport wheels on an XLT you will spend quite a bit of $$ since you can't order the XLT that way, so it may be an option to check out after market wheel options. There are threads where members have painted the grille black with very good results.

Peter
Those are EPA figures. I challenge anybody to show me their realtime figures on the Ecoboost. Perhaps if granny drove it and never went over 3k RPM. Put your foot in it and the MPG goes down exponentially!

Back