Installing or Programming Daytime Running lights (DRL) | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installing or Programming Daytime Running lights (DRL)

I would think you'd want to research before spending $'s on a mod that might be troublesome.

I did research them. The installation went well and they look awesome! Let me tell you, they are bright as HALE. BUT..... i haven't had the first person actually flash me, so I think I'm ok. I had them wire them to where they come on/off with the ignition, so they even light up when I do remote start and operate independently of the headlights. I'd say they are much brighter than the headlights (but still the same 6000k color temp), but not nearly as effective as a light source for throwing light onto the road, in comparison to the HID projector beams.

At any rate, the next step is to upgrade the stupid halogen fog lamps. Can't even tell when I turn them on. Not sure if I should go with LED or Xenon. Any recommendations?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you have a good set of headlights you really shouldn't notice a lot of difference when you turn your 'fogs' on. They are after all fog lights, not driving lights. In the 3 years I had my 2011 Limited I don't think I turned the fogs on more than 3 or 4 times. Any increase in light output will probably make them useless for the purpose for which they were intended.

Peter

FYI - The DRL and many other things can be programmed from people other than the dealer. If you are in the San Diego area, PM me and I will give you a contact.

They were able to re-program several things for me very easily.

Very easy and I'm no car whiz. They're literally plug and play. Once hooked up to your battery's extra connection, you feed the wires through to the opening. I was nervous about drilling the brackets, so I used heavy 3M double sided tape used for outdoor use. There is also an additional wire you hook up to your parking lights if you choose. I did not hook that wire up so they stay on when I turn on my lights.

I see your post is old, but be aware, if you get a LEO who's having a bad day you can get a ticket for this. VA law states that no vehicle may use more than 4 forward facing white lights at one time. For most vehicles, this is why the fog lights turn off when you use the bright lights, because most halogen bulbs have 2 filaments in each.

Just a heads up, in case you didn't know.

DRL update

Hello folks long time reader, first time poster!

I took my 2014 Limited to my local dealership in Sandy Springs, GA and printed out the instructions and steps to have my DRL's activated. Tech grabbed my car and had it back to me in under 5 minutes. He thanked me for the instructions and that he learned something new as well! No charge either!

Only the amber turn signals are on since my car has the HID headlights (factory) but they light up nice and bright and I really like the look.

Welcome to the Forum iptaylm.:wavey:
Another tech trained by the customer. :):thumbsup:

Peter

Not sure if this has been mentioned here or not, but did you know on a 2014 Limited when you have the DRM's programmed where only the Amber lights come on, that when you put your car in park and open any door the fog lights as well as the tail lights come on?

Neat!

Must be something new. On my 2011 Limited when the engine was shut down I can't recall any lights coming on. I do believe, however, that the amber and tail lights came on when the door was opened.
On my MKT, the fogs are the DRL.

Peter

Not sure if this has been mentioned here or not, but did you know on a 2014 Limited when you have the DRM's programmed where only the Amber lights come on, that when you put your car in park and open any door the fog lights as well as the tail lights come on?

Neat!
I am not sure its related to DRLs because I've seen them turn on with a friend's 2011 Ex' Limited without DRL. I would guess they would come on if you left the lights on Auto & the Fogs where turned on before turning your car off.

Edit: Noticed today that even on my MKX the fog lights come on with the doors, but only if the Engine was running & the headlights switch was on auto with fogs on (even though the headlights are off during day time).

After Market DRL

I just installed some after market DRL's on my 14 Explorer Limited. I purchased them from this place http://store.ijdmtoy.com/20W-High-Power-CREELED-Fog-Lamp-Assemblies-p/70-760.htm. I warn everybody the instructions that came with it is garbage. After some trial and error they were installed and now comes on when the car starts and goes off when the engine is cut off. I would show you a picture of it however, I cant figure that out just yet. It's asking for a URL and I don't have one.

Here is an LED option.

http://www.vleds.com/v3-triton/bulb-system/white.html

Looks great with or without the amber. With amber lens you should only get the white, if you get the switchback then get amber/white so when in turn mode the indicator is in amber and when not in turn mode its in white.

I have the switchback without the amber lens and quite happy.

On my F150 I just took black electrical tape and put it over the light sensor on the dash and turn my light switch to automatic. Every time I turn my truck on, I have daytime running lights. I know it's not the same, but I always have lights on...night or day. I haven't done it on my Ex yet, but I might.

Just a thought...

How do you do that on a 2014 Escape? Where is the light sensor? Thanks!

Really like the looks of the hella DRL you installed, they are nice and bright, even in the daytime. I am thinking of doing the same with my explorer, very nice install.

Hello Everyone,

Hope everyone is having a great day. Thought I would post that I had the '15 Limited into Peoria Ford here in the Phoenix area for service yesterday and had the instructions from this forum to turn on the DRL's. They did it, no problem. I was charges $84.00 for labor. Probably a little high but was okay with it. Just feel better having the DRL's on, especially with all the distracted drivers out there, figured every that can help with catching someone's attention is a good thing. I have HID's so I have the amber parklight/turn signals. They seem pretty bright. I do plan to upgrade those bulbs at some point to LEDs when I get some free time. I know I have to loosen the whole headlight housing to get to the bulbs and its already hitting 100+ degrees outside, so will probably wait until fall and cooler weather.

i know this is an old thread... but.. WHO THE HELL WANTS DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS? I am so so so happy that Ford does not offer them. You can turn them on with Forscan... but if i bought a Ford and it had Daytime running lights thats the FIRST thing i would mod... and by mod i mean DISABLE!

i know this is an old thread... but.. WHO THE HELL WANTS DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS? I am so so so happy that Ford does not offer them. You can turn them on with Forscan... but if i bought a Ford and it had Daytime running lights thats the FIRST thing i would mod... and by mod i mean DISABLE!
Anyone concerned about safety, that's who. They are mandatory in many countries and have been proven to reduce accidents. The effectiveness of them seems to vary. Sorry to rain on you "so so happy" feeling but Ford does offer them and many Ford products have them. Under certain conditions they make a vehicle easier to see from a distance. Like with many things, each individual is free to do what they wish but many find the DRL an other safety device.
Daytime Running Lights: The Studies , http://riderslawgroup.com/need-motorcycle-headlight-day/

Peter

Definitely agree with peterk9. I first few years I had my '15 Limited I drove without DRL's. I finally got around to having them turned on back in May and in that short time I have notice that I don't get cut off as often and have seen people who were about to lane change on top of me actually notice my vehicle, much more so then went the DRL's were off. I also feel better especially on days that are over cast here in Phoenix but not quiet dark enough to trigger the auto-lamps. Of course, I honor anyone's opinion and this is just mine, but I do feel better having them on.

Have a great day everyone.... :)

That was quite an interesting dialog you people had going there about the DRL.
Personally, I have the 2017 Explorer PIU and if I can't get it done by them it is really easy to find a hot wire that would be active after the key is in the on position. Put that on the coil end of the relay and hook up any light you want to be active as a DRL.
Next:
Someone mentioned that they get pissed about people NOT turning on their lights when the wipers are working with rain or snow.
Again; find where the hot lead is for the wiper ON and hook that up to the coil on a relay then hook up to the lights. I have done this on MANY vehicles over the years.
Last one: [May be illegal in some states check YOUR STATES laws] Many vehicles do NOT have both the high beam and the low beam on at the same time which gives excellent lighting when the bright beams are on.
Same thing can be done here. Find the hot to the bright beams and hook that up to the coil on a relay then hook up to the LOW beams. When the bright beams are activated [by you] the your LOW beams will not shut off but stay on and give great lighting!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Keep in mind that the DRL operates at a reduced power. Hot wiring them would likely result in full power.
The 2017 Explorer will automatically turn the headlamps ON when the wipers are working continuously if the Autolamps and Autowipers are set to ON in the settings. My Aviator is the same.
When the headlamps on my Aviator are ON, all four headlamps are ON. Turning on the high beam appears to change the pattern.

Peter

Back