Lowering the Explorer | Page 20 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lowering the Explorer

Spacers are on front and back???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Exp springs and 3/4" spacers front and back

Do these springs or any lowering kit help with the leveling?

I know they have leveling kits for F150s...but do they do Explorers?

I love the look of my sport..the only gripe is the leveling difference from the rear to front with the front sitting a bit lower

Sharp ride! Very nice touch with the springs and wheel spacers together. Love the look of these XSports when lowered.

Let us know if there is anything we can do to help unleash that untapped EcoBoost potential under the hood. A good tune and some bolt ons make one incredibly fun ride. Also helps gain some MPG at the same time. Win win situation across the board.

Sharp ride! Very nice touch with the springs and wheel spacers together. Love the look of these XSports when lowered.

Let us know if there is anything we can do to help unleash that untapped EcoBoost potential under the hood. A good tune and some bolt ons make one incredibly fun ride. Also helps gain some MPG at the same time. Win win situation across the board.

As soon as that warranty expires on mine, you'll be hearing from me... =)

Yeah, me too...I just can't knowingly modify the engine computer on my baby hauler...

As soon as that warranty expires on mine, you'll be hearing from me... =)

Yeah, me too...I just can't knowingly modify the engine computer on my baby hauler...

Remember, the only thing you have to fear, is fear itself ;)

Honestly, we understand the worry behind modifying a vehicle under warranty, but with our track record, we just haven't had any issues with customers getting service. More importantly, most of the failures people tend to see are when the things are bone stock, while the modified vehicles seem to have better reliability. We aren't saying that the added performance is making them more durable, but the failure rate is pretty much non existent with our modifications.

I finally got the H&R springs and BORA 3/4" spacers put on. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics.
IMG_4898_zps4od7un20.jpg

IMG_4896_zpsezrfwwrj.jpg

IMG_4893_zpsjduboiiu.jpg

Just wanted to verify before I make the purchase myself..these are H&R springs PN 51630 right?

Looks real good BTW...

Welcome to the Forum are6rider.:wavey:

Peter

Anyone here lowered live in the snow belt/cold belt? How does it perform in the snow ect lowered?

DSC_0168_zps9e8yayfa.jpg
Anyone here lowered live in the snow belt/cold belt? How does it perform in the snow ect lowered?

The owner's XSport is lowered with this same kit and he drives it all year round without issue! The truck handles like it is on rails!

DSC_0168_zps9e8yayfa.jpg

The owner's XSport is lowered with this same kit and he drives it all year round without issue! The truck handles like it is on rails!

I am worried about the massive frost heaves that we get and potholes that could eat a small child that don't get fixed for months

I am worried about the massive frost heaves that we get and potholes that could eat a small child that don't get fixed for months

Trust me, I have lived all over the country, and have traveled to several countries...NO PLACE has potholes like metro Detroit! We get tons of the white stuff as well. I personally would not be overly concerned about lowering your XSport. If a lowered truck can live here, it can make it ANYWHERE lol.

Trust me, I have lived all over the country, and have traveled to several countries...NO PLACE has potholes like metro Detroit! We get tons of the white stuff as well. I personally would not be overly concerned about lowering your XSport. If a lowered truck can live here, it can make it ANYWHERE lol.

how about if you have the dee zee running boards?will it hit the bottom of your running board if youre going trough big speed bumps?or its better to take your running board and have it lowered?

how about if you have the dee zee running boards?will it hit the bottom of your running board if youre going trough big speed bumps?or its better to take your running board and have it lowered?

No idea. We do not have running boards on our truck.

What would y'all say would be a good / reasonable price for a shop to install springs & spacers/adapters?

Looking at getting H&R explorer springs (#51630). Best price I can find right now is $275 on those, and then motorsport-tech.com adapters @$295 (which seems pricey to me... but what do i know). Are there other options that are just as good?

Any help on what is (and how to get) a good deal on all this would be much appreciated!

Finally got springs and spacers done too. Love it. Handles much more like a car than an SUV now, which is very nice being tuned. There is however less spring / cushion when going over bumps, but I don't mind much. Well worth the trade off for the lower center of gravity and widened track width (not to mention looking much better).

Specs / Costs:

• Adapters: custom machined 19mm & 24mm , http://motorsport-tech.com , $295
  • Springs: H&R explorer #51630 , http://amzn.to/1JzrUtK , $275
  • Install: $100 w/ yelp deal. 2 hours labor, but took 6 at place I went :mad:. Rent spring compressors and do it yourself! ($200 normal labor cost)
  • Realignment: $80
Total: ~$750

Measurements:

• front lip to ground- before: 6.7/8", after: 5.3/4", diff: 1.1/8"
  • front fender to ground- before: 32.1/4", after: 31.1/8", diff: 1.1/8"
  • rear fender to ground- before: 33.7/16", after: 31.7/8", diff: 1.9/16"
  • muffler to ground- before: 12.9/16", after: 10.3/4", diff: 1.13/16"

Note: The adapters took 23 days to arrive. Motorsport-tech said they were running behind, but still gave me an estimate of 10 days. Something to keep in mind if you want to do this mod quickly. Also, it would be nice if they charged an actual shipping cost, instead of a flat $25 (I'm just down the coast from them). They seemingly make a high quality product, but they need to get their sh$t together logistically.

Pics:

IMG_3974.jpg

IMG_3975_3.jpg

IMG_3981.jpg

IMG_3980.jpg

IMG_3983.jpg

IMG_3978.jpg

what are the specs on the wheels & tires?

Looks like 265/40 R22

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi All,

I picked up a new 2016 Black Explorer XLT last week and was wondering if anyone knows if there were any major changes to the Explorer suspension from 2015 to 2016 models. I'm planning on lowering my 2016 and replacing the XLT stock 18s with 20s or 22s. If there were no suspension changes made for 2016 then wouldn't that give me the OK on a set of H&R 51630 (2015) Lowering Springs for my 2016? Thanks for any help

Back