Intake Temps and Boost Questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Intake Temps and Boost Questions

LMC13

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
I'm going to install an MDesign CAI on My ExSport but wanted to do some data logging before to compare if if it really does lower the intake temp. I really like this one since it's not sucking air from the engine bay but mounts to the original air intake spot. It also has lots of insulation and is more like a ram air intake going straight in as possible. So I data logged "ambient air temp" and "intake air temp" using an ELM OBDII BT module and Torque app. I was surprised the "ambient temp" was noticeably higher than reported ambient by my Sync system. By about 10 to 12 degrees F. Does anyone know where the ambient air sensor for the ECU is located as compared to the one for Sync and why their so different? Another surprise I had was how much the intake temp sky rockets at low speeds and stopped. I figured it would go up, but it spiked almost 30 degrees F over ambient. Is that typical?

As a side task I thought I'd take a look at the Boost levels while logging data. I had no idea what to expect since there's no boost gauge (really dumb). I had driven a rental 2015 Mustang Ecoboost so I expected similar results. On the Mustang it would swing -15psi to around 20psi under boost. When I logged my ExSport I was surprised the swing was only -12 to +12psi under WOT. Is that typical? Is it due to a bigger engine? I figured the Twin Turbo would give much more boost than the single turbo in the Mustang, but I guess not? :scratch: Has anyone else logged their boost? What have you found?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm going to install an MDesign CAI on My ExSport but wanted to do some data logging before to compare if if it really does lower the intake temp. I really like this one since it's not sucking air from the engine bay but mounts to the original air intake spot. It also has lots of insulation and is more like a ram air intake going straight in as possible. So I data logged "ambient air temp" and "intake air temp" using an ELM OBDII BT module and Torque app. I was surprised the "ambient temp" was noticeably higher than reported ambient by my Sync system. By about 10 to 12 degrees F. Does anyone know where the ambient air sensor for the ECU is located as compared to the one for Sync and why their so different? Another surprise I had was how much the intake temp sky rockets at low speeds and stopped. I figured it would go up, but it spiked almost 30 degrees F over ambient. Is that typical?

As a side task I thought I'd take a look at the Boost levels while logging data. I had no idea what to expect since there's no boost gauge (really dumb). I had driven a rental 2015 Mustang Ecoboost so I expected similar results. On the Mustang it would swing -15psi to around 20psi under boost. When I logged my ExSport I was surprised the swing was only -12 to +12psi under WOT. Is that typical? Is it due to a bigger engine? I figured the Twin Turbo would give much more boost than the single turbo in the Mustang, but I guess not? :scratch: Has anyone else logged their boost? What have you found?

Turbos are a lot more complicated than boost pressure. The twin turbo application can probably move more air ( CFMs) than the single turbo setup from the mustang. Boost pressure is measured by PSI. SOO byt his example, let's say you have 2 turbos able to move 400cfm at 12 psi, you will be able to pump more air than a single application boosting 20 psi with 550 CFM. Basically an engine is a big airpump.. it's pretty clear in my head hope it's clear for you!! ;)

Turbos are a lot more complicated than boost pressure. The twin turbo application can probably move more air ( CFMs) than the single turbo setup from the mustang. Boost pressure is measured by PSI. SOO byt his example, let's say you have 2 turbos able to move 400cfm at 12 psi, you will be able to pump more air than a single application boosting 20 psi with 550 CFM. Basically an engine is a big airpump.. it's pretty clear in my head hope it's clear for you!! ;)

Exactly. Boost for a stock XSport is around 12psi at wot. A tune will increase that to 15-17 depending. The mustang has a single small turbo, so to get the air flowing it runs almost 20psi. The XSport has two turbos, which like MtlexSport explained, they can run less boost to get the CFM desired.

Yes the intake temps will go up quite a bit when at idle. The engine is sucking in air from the engine bay which is super hot obviously. Once moving, the air flowing through the front of the car helps cool things down.

When logging intake temps, you want to log the one called IAT2. This is the one I believe located after the intercooler, in the charge pipe before the throttle body. This is the one that should give you readings after has been compressed by the turbo's (heated) and then slightly cooled by the intercooler. The first IAT is probably the one in just the intake, air filter housing area. Both of them are important to know. Ambient air temp should be reading what the out side air going in the intake is.

I also found it odd there was no boost meter ect in the options for the dash

Thanks for the feedback. That's what I thought about the boost. So simple to write a little software for the boost gage, but they don't do it. Shame on them for the price we pay for these cars.

boost?

how much boost does the twin turbo sport produce?

someone with more knowledge will have to chime in. I believe I read that its in the 10-12psi range.

Yeah, a boost gauge would have been nice.

how much boost does the twin turbo sport produce?
Using the Forum's 'Search' program I found this thread and merged yours with it. Check out post 3.

'Search' is your friend.

Peter

Turbos are a lot more complicated than boost pressure.

No it really isn't. There are only two things that matter. The amount of boost you want to run and whether the turbo supports that CFM without over speed or cavitation.

Exactly. Boost for a stock XSport is around 12psi at wot. A tune will increase that to 15-17 depending. The mustang has a single small turbo, so to get the air flowing it runs almost 20psi. The XSport has two turbos, which like MtlexSport explained, they can run less boost to get the CFM desired.

Has nothing to do with the number or size of the turbos and everything to do with the displacement of the engines in question.

No it really isn't. There are only two things that matter. The amount of boost you want to run and whether the turbo supports that CFM without over speed or cavitation.
Has nothing to do with the number or size of the turbos and everything to do with the displacement of the engines in question.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

Very interesting topic, I have wondered the same but haven't looked into any actual data. I will be following and looking for your follow up findings.

Does a tune increase the torque level to match that of the 3.5 ecoboost on the F150 (400+)?

Tune increase torque level, yes it does. However if you're hoping to match the 150 3.5, good luck with that. The trucks got bigger intercoolers, better pistons and a myriad of other upgrades because, well, they're trucks ;-)

Makes me want to trade my explorer for an f150..

Just wait a little bit. Next years our beasts will be 400hp, they will have the f150 and more. I just hope Ford gets rid of the ****ty display and will will have BMW 11 point 5 display.

Just wait a little bit. Next years our beasts will be 400hp, they will have the f150 and more. I just hope Ford gets rid of the ****ty display and will will have BMW 11 point 5 display.
The display in the Platinum is great. Not familiar with the BMW display you mentioned but I do think the non Platinum display is a bit dated IMO.

Peter

Back