Livernois tune experience | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Livernois tune experience

Do those harsh shifts have any damage on the trans i wonder? I mean you probably don't do WOT very often...i have had my truck like 3.5 months now and have done it like 5 times...but others have said it gets better with time so i would guess no
IMHO, oh yeah, the WOT whamo 1-2 shifts definitely adversely affect drivetrain life. That's why I'm cooling it until the transmission relearning is done. I'm more of a fives times per day WTO kind of person, but there is much less need for that kind of thing with the tune.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IMHO, oh yeah, the WOT whamo 1-2 shifts definitely adversely affect drivetrain life. That's why I'm cooling it until the transmission relearning is done. I'm more of a fives times per day WTO kind of person, but there is much less need for that kind of thing with the tune.

Know how long a trans takes to learn something like this?

ANOTHER Q or two :) Does turbo noise get louder with tune? Exhaust pipes cleaner??

Know how long a trans takes to learn something like this?

ANOTHER Q or two :) Does turbo noise get louder with tune? Exhaust pipes cleaner??
Within a few hundred miles for the transmission to relearn. No change in turbo sound with the tune. The only way to hear more of the turbos is with an intake and/or exhaust downpipe change. Too early to tell regarding the exhaust carbon.

Within a few hundred miles for the transmission to relearn. No change in turbo sound with the tune. The only way to hear more of the turbos is with an intake and/or exhaust downpipe change. Too early to tell regarding the exhaust carbon.

Ya my intake made a huge diff in turbo noise

Which brings up a point I want to stress. When anyone decides to do any mod, it's at your own risk, no matter what you've read in my posts or any others. My results are no guarentee of what your results will be. I've broken, blown-up, seized and holed more engines, pistons, cases, blocks, gear boxes and drive trains than I care to recall across the last 4+ decades. If you have a failure related to a mod, it's on you for the repair cost. Your warranty is basically out the window if a failure is even remotely related to the mod. Don't put an asset at risk unless you can afford to pay for the repairs out of pocket. Now, back to the fun stuff !

Which brings up a point I want to stress. When anyone decides to do any mod, it's at your own risk, no matter what you've read in my posts or any others. I've broken, blown-up, seized and holed more engines, pistons, cases, blocks, gear boxes and drive trains than I care to recall across the last 4+ decades. If you have a failure related to a mod, it's on you for the repair cost. Your warranty is basically out the window if a failure is even remotely related to the mod. Don't put an asset at risk unless you can afford to pay for the repairs out of pocket.

If something was to go wrong and someone put the stock tune back in before it hit the dealer...would they still be able to tell? I would think so....although my '07 G35 engine blew at 55K with NO mods and they couldn't figure out why and tired to get me to pay the 12K for the new engine for not even knowing

If something was to go wrong and someone put the stock tune back in before it hit the dealer...would they still be able to tell? I would think so....although my '07 G35 engine blew at 55K with NO mods and they couldn't figure out why and tired to get me to pay the 12K for the new engine for not even knowing
lot's of opinions on this point in the forum. I'm going under the assumption that the dealer would be able to tell. I work in oil and gas exploration and production and we always budget the 'dry' scenario. That's to say that we anticipate every well we drill will be dry (a failure). A very conservative approach, but no surprises that way.

OBDII Emissions Monitor Readiness - Before tune and after tune

Ok, here's the disclaimer again: This is how it went for me. There's no guarentee that your results will be the same. Making any mod to your vehicle is at your own risk. If you make any mods, your vehicle could be damaged, and it may never pass emissions testing again.

Now that we have that out of the way . . .

Here's my OBDII monitor readiness status before the tune :

large.gif

Here's my OBDII monitor readiness and DTC status immediately after loading the tune (first startup). No surprises here, DTC miles reset and the status shows 'Not ready for emissions testing" because some of the monitors are reporting "not ready" :

large.gif

And here it is today, ~70 miles into the tune :

large.gif

Great news! ~70 miles in and the only monitor that has not already reset is EVAP. That is not surprising because EVAP needs a specific startup, specific temp range, long (15min or so), calm drive cycle with between 3/4 and 1/4 tank of gas, only can be run on the 3rd Thursday of the 2nd month of an odd numbered year, blah, blah, blah.

EDIT June 15, 2015 : Well, the EVAP monitor went to ready status sometime during the weekend. My emissions readiness monitors are green across the board now.

Might pass OBDII emission test now, If not, at least I know I can reload the stock tune and the monitors should reset pretty quickly.

I'll post the tune download / update details as soon as I have a chance.

Still can't say enough how happy I am with LMS's proactive communications and the tune.

Edit : well duh OBD Fusion has a US State Readiness Testing database. If it is correct I'm already good to go :

medium.gif

The tune workflow

One more time : This is how it went for me. There's no guarentee that your results will be the same. Making any mod to your vehicle is at your own risk. If you make any mods, your vehicle could be damaged, and it may never pass emissions testing again.

Here is an overview of my actions start to finish. Talk to LMS, read the instructions and follow the tuner displays exactly. This information is an overview only and does not contain all the detail steps or actions :

1) I contacted LMS and talked to them about my objectives for the tune and about the status of my Sport (mods installed, planned, driving environment, etc). Listen to what they say, they know their tunes.

2) During the phone discussion with LMS I placed my order. If you place the order via the website, you can track the order online. I placed mine by phone and I had no trouble tracking the invoice and order shipping status by email.

3) When I received the tuner, I followed the LMS instructions and emailed the info requested to LMS (see post #1 in this thread)

4) I received an email with links to the LMS servers. I downloaded and installed the app per the LMS instructions in the email.

5) After the app installed on my PC (Win7), I followed the LMS instructions to connect the tuner and start the app.

6) The app contacted the LMS server, checked for tuner firmware updates and attempted to download my tunes. Here is where I had a problem. Although I had an initial connection to the LMS server, the app could not download the tuner files. My Win 7 firewall was blocking the app from doing direct file requests.

7) I closed the tuner app, authorized the app in the Win 7 firewall, made sure the tuner was USB connected and restarted the app. The tuner files then downloaded from the LMS server and uploaded into the tuner no problem :

160378344.gif

Note that the app shows the tuner files as "Stock, Tune 1, Tune 2, etc.". At this point I felt I had no way to know which tune was what, so I contacted LMS.

8) Jaimie told me not to worry, when I connect the tuner to the vehicle, it will list the actual tune names - and it did!

9) Following the LMS instructions for making the Sport ready for connection of the tuner and upload of the tune, I made the connection via the OBDII port :

medium.gif

10) then I followed the instructions displayed by the tuner (and as supplemented in the written instructions) to select and load the tune. The tuner display scrolls and that is why some lines appear truncated :

medium.gif

medium.gif

medium.gif

11) I then followed the tuner instructions about turning off and on the ignition, etc. (there was more than one on-off-on cycle if I remember correctly) and I was done!

To note :

1) MyTouch / Sync reinitialized as part of the process. Even though the tuner had already displayed the "turn off the ignition now and hit 'Y' message", I didn't do it until the MyTouch / Sync reinitialization finished.

2) My emission readiness monitors reset to 'not ready' per my prior post. No big deal for me, all but EVAP have already gone back into 'Ready' status. LMS was very upfront about the fact that the monitors would reset and that the stock tune would probably need to be loaded if I need to pass an actual tailpipe emissions test or even the OBDII test.

3) I did not lose my Sirius radio presets, but the climate system did come up with what I assume are its default settings. Nav and all other systems are fine. I didn't think to check if my destinations are still stored in nav memory. I'll check today and update the post.

Edit : I did not lose my previous destinations, home or favorites in nav

That's all I can think of for now. Hope this helps you understand the process if you are new to updating your car's tune!

Awesome write up Will use it when loading mine!

Awesome write up Will use it when loading mine!
Thanks, just trying to give something back to the forum in return for all the good info I've received.

Thanks for all the details!

I want this tune so bad but my Sport is leased and each time I read your disclaimer I back out mentally. :( But I may do it at some point

I want this tune so bad but my Sport is leased and each time I read your disclaimer I back out mentally. :( But I may do it at some point

I was very hesitant as well...but i said eh screw it and ordered it. I want the full sport experience and this will/should give it to you.

Hi FarmDee. You're welcome. Personally I would not risk any mod on a leased vehicle. I plan on keeping the explo for a long time, so I purchased it and therefore it's fair game. :)

ANy chance you buy it after lease? Did they give you a buy out price when you signed it? (they should have)

I am in the same predicament. My sport is leased as well. Although I do love my car I am still 50/50 on whether I'll keep it. This is my first year into a 3 year lease. So maybe I'll change my mind.

As far as I remember I think my buyout price was 26k-27k. I am very tempted to tune it though. I am speed demon so I wouldn't mind having the extra power and speed haha. Just worried about the warranty...so far I have 7000k miles and not a single problem!

My tune arrived today! I need to borrow my buddys PC...only have MAC...in order to get the app they will send me but at least i can get my info ect tonight to email them

BTW Like i said they have NO MAC support for those wondering!

My tune arrived today! I need to borrow my buddys PC...only have MAC...in order to get the app they will send me but at least i can get my info ect tonight to email them
Great news :thumbsup: Be careful with that 1-2 upshift after you first load the tune, mine has already leveled out and I'm a very happy camper. My wife (another car nut) loves it too.

Great news :thumbsup: Be careful with that 1-2 upshift after you first load the tune, mine has already leveled out and I'm a very happy camper. My wife (another car nut) loves it too.

Under heavy Accel right?...how long until it leveld out for ya?

Wife a car nut..i need to find one of those!

BTW the end of the instructions says after tune loads turn ignition off..open then close drivers door and press y..so only 1 hit of the button it looks like

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Make sure all accessories (auto lights, stereo, hvac, etc) are off before tuning. Also, unplug all devices from the USB and 12v outlets.

I had an iPod connected that caused the programmer to time out, leading to about 6 tries just to get it back to stock. Anthony at Livernois was a huge help in troubleshooting this issue with me.

Also to go along with a tune I'd suggest gapped plugs to .030", thermostat swap, and 3 bar upgrade.

Back