2016 Explorer LED Fog Lights option?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Explorer LED Fog Lights option??

Blue1ce

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer
I test drove a Limited Explorer the other day. The lights were absolutely perfect with the LED accent. When I asked the salesman to turn on the fog lights, they were yellow, I'm assuming regular halogen? Long story short, it looked ridiculous. Mixing bright LED whites with yellow bulbs?

When I went to build the car on Carsdirect and TrueCar, I noticed an "LED Fog Lights" option. When I asked several sales people about this, they had no clue what I was talking about.

Has anyone heard about optional fog lights? I would much rather get stock LED fogs than have to replace bulbs on a 50k car!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The LED fog lamps are listed as Late Availability. Who knows when that is.

I test drove a Limited Explorer the other day. The lights were absolutely perfect with the LED accent. When I asked the salesman to turn on the fog lights, they were yellow, I'm assuming regular halogen? Long story short, it looked ridiculous. Mixing bright LED whites with yellow bulbs?

When I went to build the car on Carsdirect and TrueCar, I noticed an "LED Fog Lights" option. When I asked several sales people about this, they had no clue what I was talking about.

Has anyone heard about optional fog lights? I would much rather get stock LED fogs than have to replace bulbs on a 50k car!

The LED fog lamps are listed as Late Availability. Who knows when that is.

Yeah I noticed that. The funny part is, none of the salespeople had any clue about that. The dealerships have also not received any brochures. I'm going to wait a few weeks before I go back into the dealership. Give them some time to learn about this new model.

I saw a youtube video today of an XLT review showing the yellowish looking fog lamps and have to agree that it looks horrible when mixed with the LED head lamps. I have an Ex Sport on order and hope that I don't receive it with halogen bulbs. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on that. Although I never had the LED fog lamp as an option when I order through the dealership I just assumed that they would be LED and never questioned it until now.
The other late availability I am seeing on carsdirect is with the heated steering wheel.
Seeing as how the heated steering wheel it is part of my order package I can't see them sending me something that isn't heated.

I saw a youtube video today of an XLT review showing the yellowish looking fog lamps and have to agree that it looks horrible when mixed with the LED head lamps. I have an Ex Sport on order and hope that I don't receive it with halogen bulbs. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on that. Although I never had the LED fog lamp as an option when I order through the dealership I just assumed that they would be LED and never questioned it until now.
The other late availability I am seeing on carsdirect is with the heated steering wheel.
Seeing as how the heated steering wheel it is part of my order package I can't see them sending me something that isn't heated.
The heated steering wheel is standard on the Sport so if there is a delay in getting that feature it will also delay the building of your vehicle. Since the LED fog lights are a "late availability" item as is the Platinum, I'm guessing that those LED lights are only available on that model.

Peter

I have a 2015 Sport that had the yellow fog lights and I fixed it by purchasing some led fog lights from VLeds. They are actually brighter than the factory plus they are white light. A big improvement over the yellow ones. I have heard from other people that yellow is actually better for visibility in fog than white or blue but I think this more of a personal preference. The LED have more lumen output than the halogen bulbs. I use my fog lights for daytime running lights when I need them and white lights are more visible to me in that situation. In Colorado fog is rare so I use them more for daytime driving than fog.

The heated steering wheel is standard on the Sport so if there is a delay in getting that feature it will also delay the building of your vehicle. Since the LED fog lights are a "late availability" item as is the Platinum, I'm guessing that those LED lights are only available on that model.

Peter

LED fogs are optional on all XLT, Limited, Sport -- they are option 21K they are not included in any package. $150 MSRP.

LED fogs are optional on all XLT, Limited, Sport -- they are option 21K they are not included in any package. $150 MSRP.

Unfortunately they weren't listed as an option from the dealership I've ordered through as quite possibly they may not have been aware of it or may not be available to order as of yet.
In any event, I emailed the sales rep enquiring about them as I would prefer the LED's if I can get them or even put them in afterwards, he'll look into it for me. I'll wait and see what happens.

Unfortunately they weren't listed as an option from the dealership I've ordered through as quite possibly they may not have been aware of it or may not be available to order as of yet.
In any event, I emailed the sales rep enquiring about them as I would prefer the LED's if I can get them or even put them in afterwards, he'll look into it for me. I'll wait and see what happens.
I also went through the 'Build & Price' feature for the different models and didn't see a option for them either. It might be added later as you indicated.

Peter

I also went through the 'Build & Price' feature for the different models and didn't see a option for them either. It might be added later as you indicated.

Peter

They were added 2 order guide revisions ago. (Middle of May if I remember) The dealer should be able to log into the order system and add them to your order if so desired. They are Std. on the Platinum.

I already have my 2016 sport and didn't pay attention to the fog lights until 3 days ago, and yes, the yellow light with the led head lights look weird. I just ordered new LED bulbs ($30 for the pair). Switching them out shouldn't be a big deal.
If it is of interest: The fog lights of the 2016 are H10 / 9145.

For the record, fog lights are yellow on purpose because that color spectrum cuts through the fog instead of being reflected back at the driver. The purpose of lights is to aid in visibility, not make the car look cool, or good, or symmetrical.

SERIOUSLY!!!

for the record, fog lights are yellow on purpose because that color spectrum cuts through the fog instead of being reflected back at the driver. The purpose of lights is to aid in visibility, not make the car look cool, or good, or symmetrical.

Seriously!!!
i agree. The white fog lights are aesthetic but not for the fog light purpose....

For the record, fog lights are yellow on purpose because that color spectrum cuts through the fog instead of being reflected back at the driver. The purpose of lights is to aid in visibility, not make the car look cool, or good, or symmetrical.

SERIOUSLY!!!

Yes, because most of us leave near a swamp and have to deal with blinding fog on a constant basis.

But on a serious note, I understand what you're saying but I prefer consistency, especially since I encounter real fog maybe once or twice a year.

In the picture it appears that the LED only lights about 2/3 of the actual fixture leaving a less than bright lower section.

Peter

In the picture it appears that the LED only lights about 2/3 of the actual fixture leaving a less than bright lower section.

Peter

That might be just the way the picture turned out. Looks to light up the same area the old bulb lit up in person. Just put them in so will have to see how they look at night.

Bad news the high beams are also a regular bulb??
Anyone know a bulb number for the high beam bulb in led??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmmm

That really sucks. They should have included in the package. :thumbdwn:

Back