2016 Explorer LED Fog Lights option?? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Explorer LED Fog Lights option??

That might be just the way the picture turned out. Looks to light up the same area the old bulb lit up in person. Just put them in so will have to see how they look at night.

How did they look at night?

I've only had my sport a couple days and just noticed them this morning... Is it as easy has plugging the new LED lights into where the existing halogens are or is there some sort of conversion kit needed?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've only had my sport a couple days and just noticed them this morning... Is it as easy has plugging the new LED lights into where the existing halogens are or is there some sort of conversion kit needed?

Mine are plug and play. Just take the halogens out, put the LED in, plug in connector and good to go.

GeoMimi89: Yes, I will probably have a look tonight when I put the LED fogs in. I'll let you know what I find. But you can actually also look in the user's guide p. 297 (or somewhere around there), where the bulb specifications are listed. (yeah, yeah, women read the instructions :D )

Attachments

• 0224_4562_001.JPG
    0224_4562_001.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 5,393

sorry, didn't understand correctly, post deleted :)

Peter, apologies. I don't kow how to adjust the size

Look great. They're very easy to replace once you realize there is an access door in the wheel well..... Turn your wheels all the way to one side and you'll see it.

Plug and play.

Look great. They're very easy to replace once you realize there is an access door in the wheel well..... Turn your wheels all the way to one side and you'll see it.

Plug and play.
If you use a hoist, don't forget to straighten the wheels before driving off.:D

Peter

Mine are plug and play. Just take the halogens out, put the LED in, plug in connector and good to go.

GeoMimi89: Yes, I will probably have a look tonight when I put the LED fogs in. I'll let you know what I find. But you can actually also look in the user's guide p. 297 (or somewhere around there), where the bulb specifications are listed. (yeah, yeah, women read the instructions :D )

Thanks Britta!! I hate reading instructions lol

Thanks Britta!! I hate reading instructions lol

So the High Beam bulb is a 9005LL or HB3. Getting this one in and out is perfect for someone with small hands :D
I ordered LED high beam bulbs in HB3, and then I'll see how well they work.
A lot of HB3 LED have the extra info that they don't have the high beam function, beware of that!
They should be arriving next week.
The LED fog lights, on the other hand, look sooooo much better than stock (and yes, functionality can be argued about, but I don't get as much fog, thus the looks is more important to me at this point)!

So the High Beam bulb is a 9005LL or HB3. Getting this one in and out is perfect for someone with small hands :D
I ordered LED high beam bulbs in HB3, and then I'll see how well they work.
A lot of HB3 LED have the extra info that they don't have the high beam function, beware of that!
They should be arriving next week.
The LED fog lights, on the other hand, look sooooo much better than stock (and yes, functionality can be argued about, but I don't get as much fog, thus the looks is more important to me at this point)!

I agree 100% but how the heck do you change the bulbs? Lol there's no room!!

I agree 100% but how the heck do you change the bulbs? Lol there's no room!!

Yes, you're right, getting one of the high beams out to confirm the number was not really the easiest thing ever done. Got my hand scratched up pretty bad and I think it's even a bit swollen ;) Maybe a hint, if you have long arms, you can get your hand in there from the engine side, going underneath the metal and not the obvious way from the gap on top, there seems to be a little more space that way.
I hope that going through this next week with exchanging the bulbs will be the last time I ever have to touch them. If they don't work out, well, then the OEMs have to go back in :D

Yes, you're right, getting one of the high beams out to confirm the number was not really the easiest thing ever done. Got my hand scratched up pretty bad and I think it's even a bit swollen ;) Maybe a hint, if you have long arms, you can get your hand in there from the engine side, going underneath the metal and not the obvious way from the gap on top, there seems to be a little more space that way.
I hope that going through this next week with exchanging the bulbs will be the last time I ever have to touch them. If they don't work out, well, then the OEMs have to go back in :D

How hard was it to replace the fog lights? I don't even see them inside

How hard was it to replace the fog lights? I don't even see them inside

Compared to the high beams a piece of cake.
You get to them from the front wheels (sorry, English is not my first language, so I'm especially not that fluent with technical or car related terminology). When working on the driver's side turn the steering wheel to the left, so that the tire points outwards. You'll see a little "door" which you can pry open with a screwdriver (lower side middle has the clip), or, what worked better for me, sliding it off to the side. Pull the connecter of the bulb, turn the bulb counterclockwise upwards and voila, there is the bulb.

LED fog lamp install & washer fluid tank on passenger side?

If anyone can post in their install results, if their pass. side fog bulb was too long & hit the washer fluid tank or something had to be modifed?

Some of the LED fogs are very bright and have a built in fan housing or heat sink in the back, making them long depending on manufacturer. I read that on the 2013 Sport it was an issue, anyone else have any issues ?

It could have been only that build of bulb since its not mentioned recently...

If anyone can post in their install results, if their pass. side fog bulb was too long & hit the washer fluid tank or something had to be modifed?

Some of the LED fogs are very bright and have a built in fan housing or heat sink in the back, making them long depending on manufacturer. I read that on the 2013 Sport it was an issue, anyone else have any issues ?

It could have been only that build of bulb since its not mentioned recently...

I didn't have to modify anything, it's just plug&splay. Since this is my first explorer I don't know where the fog lights were located in the previous models, but in the 16' there is enough dedicated space for the led bulb. Granted, the bulbs I got didn't have fan housing or heat sink.

I didn't have to modify anything, it's just plug&splay. Since this is my first explorer I don't know where the fog lights were located in the previous models, but in the 16' there is enough dedicated space for the led bulb. Granted, the bulbs I got didn't have fan housing or heat sink.

Britta, do you have any pics to post of the H10 / 9145 fog lamps installed? I love everything about my 2016 but the halogen fogs. I have actually read reviews on amazon claiming the LED's being brighter than the halogens? How do you like them so far, aesthetically and functionally?

Britta, do you have any pics to post of the H10 / 9145 fog lamps installed? I love everything about my 2016 but the halogen fogs. I have actually read reviews on amazon claiming the LED's being brighter than the halogens? How do you like them so far, aesthetically and functionally?

I can post pics later tonight. It was not really dark out, but you can still see the difference before/after.
But yes, I like them aesthetically much better, since they're more on par with the low beams. And yesterday's driving through rain and dark, it was perfect as well. They are definitely brighter, at least from what I can see. Thus, it does affect the normal use of fog lights negatively. Brighter light in fog not necessarily means more visibility. But I don't have a lot of fog during the year, so I disregarded it. I use the fogs together with my low beams most of the time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
LED lights apparently are brighter than the Halogen but not as bright as HID lamps which you wouldn't want if you plan to use them as 'Fogs'.
Happy motoring!:):thumbsup:

Peter

Back