2016 Explorer LED Fog Lights option?? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Explorer LED Fog Lights option??

Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
LED lights apparently are brighter than the Halogen but not as bright as HID lamps which you wouldn't want if you plan to use them as 'Fogs'.
Happy motoring!:):thumbsup:

Peter

Thanks, Peter! I just picked mine up on Monday - upgraded from the Edge Sport. So I figured I would join the club. Thanks for having me!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Britta, do you have any pics to post of the H10 / 9145 fog lamps installed? I love everything about my 2016 but the halogen fogs. I have actually read reviews on amazon claiming the LED's being brighter than the halogens? How do you like them so far, aesthetically and functionally?

As promised, the links to the pics.

Obviously a comparison, passenger side OEM, driver's side LED

Both LED

And close-up.

I'll have to take some more pictures when it's dark and I remember about it :D

Looks good.:thumbsup: I'd be curious to see how the light output would compare with the OEM ones when they come out.

Peter

Thanks, Peter! I just picked mine up on Monday - upgraded from the Edge Sport. So I figured I would join the club. Thanks for having me!

How did you like the Edge Sport? I've been toying with the idea of trading my explorer sport for a 2015 Edge Sport only because I find the drivers seat to be more comfortable..I would only do it if the lease payment was cheaper though since I love my Explofer.

How did you like the Edge Sport? I've been toying with the idea of trading my explorer sport for a 2015 Edge Sport only because I find the drivers seat to be more comfortable..I would only do it if the lease payment was cheaper though since I love my Explofer.

Alex, I really liked it until I drove the Explorer on Monday lol. Keep in mind that mine was the older body style (2013) so the 2015's could be very improved and refined. On the 2011-2014 Edge Sport: Those 22's are really just for show. The ride is not great (low profile tires) and the towing is limited to 2000 lbs due to that and the sport tuned suspension (i installed a hitch). It has good power for a naturally aspirated v6, but it's not an ecoboost. If I were to buy an Edge again, I would go with the limited, personally, or the SEL with the appearance package. The ride is so much better and if you want to tow a smaller boat or camper, you can up to 3500. But the Edge Sport is definitely the most sharp looking. Depends on what is most important to you. It looks like the 2015's aren't low-pro so I bet the ride is so much better. And now with the ecoboost in them, I bet all my gripes are solved. Great vehicle overall and hold their value really well for resale/trade.

I just came from a 2013 Edge Sport.. It was a good car and had zero problems with it, but I got jealous and mad I didn't go with an Explorer every time an Explorer Sport pulled up next to me..

Peterk9: Thank you! Yes, but need to find someone, or wait for someone, to order it, when the LEDs finally get available.

Ecobeast: Thanks neighbor ;) Be sure to post pics, when you changed them!

NewYorkistanSux: The LED is brighter, my opinion while driving, and it blends in better with the low beams, which makes it a "seamless" light so to speak.
If you look at the first pic, the comparison, that I posted above, you'll see already what I mean, even though it's still in daylight the LED on the driver's side looks much brighter.

I received the same ones you used last night.. I'm going to try and install them myself if it is as easy as you say, but I am probably the least handy guy when it comes to this stuff as you'll come across, haha.

It really is as easy as I said. Never changed a fog light on any car before, had the user guide lying next to me and got to work :D
Only thing: I hurt my finger, gave it a good fairly deep scratch, while pulling off the power connector., so be careful :)

I received the same ones you used last night.. I'm going to try and install them myself if it is as easy as you say, but I am probably the least handy guy when it comes to this stuff as you'll come across, haha.

I just did a dry run. A word to the wise if you have larger hands; install the bulb into place before re-connecting the wiring harness. That whip can be a bit temperamental while connected when trying to locate the notches back into place.

For the record, fog lights are yellow on purpose because that color spectrum cuts through the fog instead of being reflected back at the driver. The purpose of lights is to aid in visibility, not make the car look cool, or good, or symmetrical.

SERIOUSLY!!!

+1. yellow doesn't flash back on the driver in dense fog.

I was mildly curious about the night light pattern of the 2016 LED headlamps when we bought ours - as I didn't think to test drive one at night.

have to say - there is no reason to use the fogs for any thing other than FOG.

Also high beams will piss you off too them because they are standard halogens - as they are also the flash. This bothers me a little since you'd think they'd try to match them. but they didn't. I'll probably put some matched halogen in them - unless I can find a good LED retrofit that doesn't cost the earth.

I agree 100% but how the heck do you change the bulbs? Lol there's no room!!

Just wanted to report on my high beam bulb switch. First of all, it gets easier the more often you do it. But, if you haven't done it yet, think twice about it. I drove around with my LED high beams for some time now and I'm not 100% sold. I mostly drive with me low beams and fog lights. When switching to high beams there is hardly any difference.
The reason, I think is, that I bought the wrong bulbs (no high beam function maybe?), so I will probably divert back to the stock and if I come across some good recommended LEDs for high beams, I might give it another try.

you can't put just any LED bulb in the High beam spot - it's going to have to be a high power LED.

IE something that's going to cost north of 100 dollars.

why - it has to push high lumens, or rather LUX to get out over the factory low beams. so not every LED on the market is made for that - and some are ment to just be flashers - ie your flash to pass bulbs, which on the explorer and many other cars is your high beam bulbs.

keep in mind the halogens you are replacing are a uncoated, 55W each, so they throw some real light. it's not the whiteiest and might not look that bright to your eye but to a light meter at 100 yards it's a spot light.

also notice that the Factory low beams - have their own heat sinks - that dark grey ridged housing is coated AL. they draw some power, 30W each if I guess correctly as that's been about the common application draw. they also throw some major LUX out the front of the car.

then there's the application - IE the housing - it's designed around a non-focused light souce for the high beam - so the housing and reflector is the focusing ###tion - if you put an LED in the hole - that's already desingned as a focused beam you will loose some usefulness. you need a wide area bulb replacement -because that's precisely what you are replacing.

Hope this makes some sense.

you can't put just any LED bulb in the High beam spot - it's going to have to be a high power LED.

why - it has to push high lumens, or rather LUX to get out over the factory low beams. so not every LED on the market is made for that - and some are ment to just be flashers - ie your flash to pass bulbs, which on the explorer and many other cars is your high beam bulbs.

keep in mind the halogens you are replacing are a uncoated, 55W each, so they throw some real light. it's not the whiteiest and might not look that bright to your eye but to a light meter at 100 yards it's a spot light.

also notice that the Factory low beams - have their own heat sinks - that dark grey ridged housing is coated AL. they draw some power, 30W each if I guess correctly as that's been about the common application draw. they also throw some major LUX out the front of the car.

then there's the application - IE the housing - it's designed around a non-focused light souce for the high beam - so the housing and reflector is the focusing ###tion - if you put an LED in the hole - that's already desingned as a focused beam you will loose some usefulness. you need a wide area bulb replacement -because that's precisely what you are replacing.

Very true. Many cars with HIDs have halogen highs, so I am fine with it. However, for those looking for a whiter bulb for the high beams, you would be better off with a halogen bulb. I would recommend Philips DiamondVision bulbs. I used them in my Town Car, and they are the whitest halogens I've ever used, and I've tried many.

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Diamond-Vision-Halogen-Bulbs/dp/B007JZKBVW

Here is a picture of the low beam with a DiamondVision bulb and then compared to the highbeam with a standard bulb.

20150506_225516_zpsohbqwois.jpg

20150506_225528_zps7frmumtm.jpg

It definitely does make sense, that's why, while searching for LED highs, I did exactly search for that, LED high beams. But you're probably right, to get the right outcome I would have to spend more money (the ones I bought were around $25 for the pair) and also look at the housing. So I'll probably replace them with good white halogen (as white as they get) bulbs that GoogleAndroid mentioned.

in my current car with HID lows - for my high beams I'm useing Xenon match bulbs from a company called HOEN.

they are an offshoot of Sylvania - OSram. which happens to make my HID kit.

so they tailored a halogen standard bulb so that it's cleaner and closer to 4300K color. works great but they weren't cheap either.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the tip on the fog light led replacement bulbs! I do agree that the yellow doesnt look good with the led headlights

Back