Transmission Fluid type for the 98 Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Fluid type for the 98 Explorer?

gnx547

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 GT
I'm going to change the trans fluid and filter on my 98 explorer. What transmission fluid do I use for the 98 Explorer? I do not have the owners manual to look it up. I looked online and found that some used Mercon and others used Mercon V. I have a case of Mercon trans fluid in my garage, can I use Mercon? Or do I need to use Mercon V? And how many quarts do I need?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Merc V, you will need about four quarts.

Dead Link Removed

On the hash marks on the dip stick, where should the fluid level be at? Should it be on the bottom, middle, or the top?

Transmission parts for ford....HELP!

I want to buy ford`s transmission kit and what is it best brand of them?

What kit? What transmission?

Transtec seemed pretty good to me, but I have no comparison to make, as the grand total of two kits I have used, both were Transtec. The Lip Wizard that comes with their kits is very handy.

PS: Like joecerna was asking, there a a lot of different TYPES of kits. Let me list a few:

Filter Kit
Shift Kit
Thrust Washer Kit
Overhaul Kit
Rebuild Kit

I used Autozone brand Mercon V and a bottle of Lucus.

hi guys i have a 98 ford explorer automatick can i use dr tranny instant torque converter lube gard in it it says not to use in fords that reqwire ford type f atf

transmishion

hi guys i have a 98 ford explorer automatick can i use dr tranny instant torque converter lube gard in it it says not to use in fords that reqwire ford type f atf

I have no experience with that product but the 1998 Explorers do not use Type F ATF.

Isn't Type F the old Fordamatic?

Check with the manufacturer of the additive.

Back