1999 Explorer Sport. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1999 Explorer Sport.

My wife & I last weekend purchased a 1999 Explorer Sport which I wanted to get for a "spare" backup vehicle in case my 2000 Ranger or her 2008 Escape needed work that would lay it up for more then a weekend. The dealer was asking 1595 for it & we offered 1300 & we got it. It has only 81K miles, it has the 4.0 SOHC, auto, PW, PL, PM, Power Sunroof, & is bright red w/gray leather interior.Well now my wife has claimed it as here DD & make her 2008 Escape the spare vehicle since we had purchased a 1999 Explorer Sport new back in 99 when I was working at a ford dealer & we ran it up to 275K miles before selling it a couple years ago. (mistake on my part).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good luck with your new ride. I looked all over Monmouth and Ocean counties for a low mile '98-'00 Sport. Ended up with a red '98 with more than twice as many miles as yours. Good find.

Good luck with your new ride. I looked all over Monmouth and Ocean counties for a low mile '98-'00 Sport. Ended up with a red '98 with more than twice as many miles as yours. Good find.

We found this one in Pa.

im up in north jersey and i paid $400 more than that for a 1998 with similar mileage you got a great deal.

Here is a pic of the Sport.

100_0869_zpsh3sxmz7w.jpg

Nice one Mike65. An old guy I worked with when I was a kid would've looked at yours and mine together and said "they're the same but different". Mine has 195,000 on it, 4.0 OHV with a tan interior. Paid $800 but it needed a lot of TLC.

DSC00611.jpg

rkh58, nice looking Sport, of course I am a little biased LOL. This one needs maintenance & a good cleaning & detail.

Great find! I snagged a red '99 Sport 4x4 OHV 5 spd last summer for $600. Seller claimed major brake issues because it was grinding in the rear. After a quick test drive, I determined the sound was the rear leafs squeaking and banging on the frame. Both hangers rusted out. I wasn't going to need them anyway. It has 3.27:1 open diffs that will be swapped for a pair of 3.73:1 diffs from a $200 2000 Mounty I acquired 2 weeks after the sport. I absolutely love the "put it anywhere" drive ability of the Sport.

Update; My wife wants to keep the side steps, r/s has surface rust, l/s is rotted so it is shot. We purchased a used steering wheel because the leather is coming loose from the wheel on our Sport & the guy we purchased the wheel from still has the Explorer Sport he is parting out so I checked out the truck & the carpet looks VG (we need new carpet) & the Sport still has the side steps & the l/s is good. Saturday I am going to pull the carpet & purchase the side step to replace the rotted one on our Sport.

Replaced both headlamp housings today. Both lens were cloudy & the adjusters on the l/s lamp were broken, but surprisingly the header panel was not damaged. Now I just need to adjust the lamps.

Replaced the steering wheel with a good used one, & adjusted the headlights.

20140815_144809_zpstazxnsov.jpg

heres mine i love this truck

I'm so jealous that you guys have no rust on yours :[
Don't be jealous. Look real close at mine (post #6 ) on the rocker panel, straight down from the door handle.
And this is the bad side.
DSC00595.jpg

My '98 XLT on the other hand is truly 100% rust free. It was garage kept by the previous owner and didn't see much winter driving.

Don't be jealous. Look real close at mine (post #6 ) on the rocker panel, straight down from the door handle.
And this is the bad side.
View attachment 84957
My '98 XLT on the other hand is truly 100% rust free. It was garage kept by the previous owner and didn't see much winter driving.

I have rust in almost the same exact spot - rocker panel, straight down from the doorhandle.

Mine is in the same spot with the drivers side the worst of them.

I have to replace the door lock cylinders on both doors since the ignition key does not work either door. So today I replaced the drivers side door lock, to get the lock cyl out of the door I had to pop the c clip off the back of the lock cyl to remove the arm that the linkage hooks to & the electrical conn since they were pointed in 2 different positions & I could not turn the cyl, & it would not come through the door lock cyl opening. Once I figured it out it was rather easy. Tomorrow it is the passengers side. If anyone needs to replace theirs I used Standard auto parts #DL143B with the black lock cyl face, perfect fit. I purchased the kit from Rockauto.

How much did you end up paying for the part? We are considering carrying this item and can have it shipped out this week if needed.

Thanks for the help!

I have to replace the door lock cylinders on both doors since the ignition key does not work either door. So today I replaced the drivers side door lock, to get the lock cyl out of the door I had to pop the c clip off the back of the lock cyl to remove the arm that the linkage hooks to & the electrical conn since they were pointed in 2 different positions & I could not turn the cyl, & it would not come through the door lock cyl opening. Once I figured it out it was rather easy. Tomorrow it is the passengers side. If anyone needs to replace theirs I used Standard auto parts #DL143B with the black lock cyl face, perfect fit. I purchased the kit from Rockauto.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

how much did you end up paying for the part? We are considering carrying this item and can have it shipped out this week if needed.

Thanks for the help!

$36.00.

Back