Lift kits for 5th gen. Explorer | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Post number 199 has been selected as best answered.

no technical problems so far.
Some remarks:
2. worse driving quality at high speeds (100 mph and up)

I can relay to that... had the same problem with my lifted First Gen, it was pretty damn hard to drive it on American highways but even worse driving it on European... had nothing to do with quality of roads - simply with speed limits.
----------------------------->
Wondering though what the problem could be with yours? you say "worse driving quality..." explain?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any issues getting the alignment back to stock specifications?

The only decent looking AT tire is 275/55-20. I know a 275 will be ok, but do you think a 55 would fit? The person with the black Explorer is running 265/50's... I'm torn. If I can't get a decently aggressive tire (not street tire) that will fit I probably won't lift mine.

Hi

first to explain the worse driving quality. It just means that on higher speeds you can feel that there is more aerodynamic drag and on higher speeds you can feel that it has some more aerodynamic lift than before which makes it a little harder to control at high speeds.

Bringing the Alignment back to stock specs was not a problem at all.
Unfortunately other tyres than the 245R18 and the 255R20 are not allowed here in Germany.

Didn't read every post, but their was a kit made, awhile ago, by "someone" for the 3rd & 4th Gens, their were some durability concerns. While I think Ford is producing some great vehicles the Explorer definitely when "on-road" when it lost it full frame and solid rear axle. But where their is a will, their is a way.

Didn't read every post, but their was a kit made, awhile ago, by "someone" for the 3rd & 4th Gens, their were some durability concerns. While I think Ford is producing some great vehicles the Explorer definitely when "on-road" when it lost it full frame and solid rear axle. But where their is a will, their is a way.
THERE usually is.

Peter

I have searched the internet over looking for owners who have installed the Traxda lift kit and have seen several traxda photos but none from owners with reviews.

I installed the Traxda lift on my 2015 Sport and LOVE it!!! It is well worth the time and money.

That extra bit of clearance tightened up my suspension and it drives and feels much better.

Lift for a 2015 explorer Sport?

I would like to do a 2" or 2.5" spacer lift to my 2015 Sport. Has anyone in this forum tried this yet? If so, which kit? and can you post photos? Wheel size and offset?
I've scowered the internet with no luck in terms of finding an example.
Kelli

I would like to do a 2" or 2.5" spacer lift to my 2015 Sport. Has anyone in this forum tried this yet? If so, which kit? and can you post photos? Wheel size and offset?
Kelli

Welcome to the forum Kjxsport.
If you were to search the forums you will find what you are looking for in the "modified" section for the 5th generation.
This might really interest you -
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=423290

Good Luck with your Explorer Kelli!!! :thumbsup:

Welcome to the Forum Kjxsport.:wavey:
I have merged your thread with this existing one. There are also several more on 'lifting' the Explorer in this sub forum.

Peter

Kelli

I think those mods will be more difficult to locate as the intended purpose of the Sport was to provide a sportier performance driving experience.

Better handling with wider rims (1/2") increased suspension/body stiffness, different EPAS and AWD programming, different rear axle ratio, EcoBoost programming, suspension actually sits 20mm lower.

I think the engineers were going in another direction

Thanks for your help Peter! I do more poking around here.

Thanks for your help Peter! I do more poking around here.

I'm in search for black 4x4 wheels for the 2015 exp sport, 18s would do it, does anyone know which wheel specs I should be looking for? This is a crazy over whelming task

Added traxda lift kit, Monroe Gas Magnum struts (only front strut upgrade I could find) KYB gas adjust rear. Ride height is different, suspension significantly better. I can definitely see how 100 mph handling will be affected and probably no more 90mph downhill curvy roads anymore, but totally worth it. Running 265/40/22 tires but plenty of space to go bigger or put my original 20s back on with some seriously aggresive treads.

Could you re-upload your picture? Would love to see it! Also, did the strut/shock upgrades make a difference in your opinion?
I did the lift on mine as well and threw on 265/70r17.

[MENTION=288599]Bowne24[/MENTION] I just set you up with a 6 month Elite Explorer membership for posting the first 5th gen Explorer setup with an offroad theme. Love the look:chug:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

[MENTION=288599]Bowne24[/MENTION] I just set you up with a 6 month Elite Explorer membership for posting the first 5th gen Explorer setup with an offroad theme. Love the look:chug:

Oh that's awesome! Thank you so much! There's much more to come with it so stay tuned! :salute:

Back