BWM Brown Wire Mod 3rd Gen | Page 26 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BWM Brown Wire Mod 3rd Gen

I'm just assuming the button is in the same spot as mine, but I might be wrong. Check the owners manual, it should tell you how to disable it. You could also look for the ABS fuse and pull it, which will disable any safety traction features

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hey all... my ABS lost a sensor, so I've got all-time control-trac.... I'll be doing this mod soon-ish. I'm a technical writer by trade, so I'm good at writing instructions... I will document this process with pics and any notes on the original post... just wanted to bring this up - Rick had offered to host some pics locally so they would not get lost. I'm more than willing to make this possible on my end when I am done.

Update 3/28: I'm trying to do some fancy wiring on this - possibly to the point where a secondary switch is not needed, but at the very least, trying to use a push-button switch and some relays. instead of a toggle switch.

This guide is really hard to follow without the pictures. Atleast for me. Can anybody give me a list of the exact things i need to complete this project?

Video!

Hey everybody instead on doing the BWM I just pulled out fuses #17 and #18 thanks too Limited02

here are the results!!

http://youtu.be/l_1bIiD9E7E

this is just a demo, im going to take it out later and have some real fun with it.
Guys it is so freaking fun!!

Hey everybody instead on doing the BWM I just pulled out fuses #17 and #18 thanks too Limited02

here are the results!!

this is just a demo, im going to take it out later and have some real fun with it.

Nice! Looks like a fun place to play!

here are the results!!

Another video comes up after yours of a dude in his Explorer rolling while doing this. lol watch out for ruts and bumps! It was a second gen though.

He fellas. I think I came to the right place. I did a Manual Transmission swap into the 3rd gen and I've got the 4x4 Lo function working but the 4x4 clutch isn't working yet. I am trying to figure out what the BLACK wire is (the one not going to the transfer case motor). See the photo below. Is this BLACK WIRE just to ground? (sorry guys... already sold my 3rd gen parts and can't remember where that dang wire goes and my photo doesn't show it). If you have a 3rd gen... a quick look for me would be a big help.

Thanks!!

20150919_173307-1200.jpg

FYI....
I've wired up the 99-01 AWD Explorer transfer case to the new manual trans.... which seems to have all the same functionality... but stuck on the last two wires (this tcase has 2 speedo sensors (green/blue/grey) wires as well which got me confused temporarily. Think I'm almost there.

SOLVED MY OWN QUESTION.... black wire is ground. See my manual swap thread for full wiring details (with 2HI bypass switch for AWD button operation)

I've read this won't work on AWD V8's. I have a V6 AWD with three buttons, AWD, 4HI, 4LO in my 2003 Explorer. Can I do this mod with my V6 AWD?

I've read this won't work on AWD V8's. I have a V6 AWD with three buttons, AWD, 4HI, 4LO in my 2003 Explorer. Can I do this mod with my V6 AWD?

yup. You can. Can't see why you can't with the V8s... but I am not as familiar with their tcase.

I'm not sure where the brown wire is in the CAB. But I have an 06 GenIV and I tapped into it with a water sealed relay next to the transfer case.

ps. In theory... any AWD models (clutched transfer cases) should work. All you need to do is put a relay inline with either the hot wire or ground to disengage the clutch (usually brown hot or black ground). The rest regarding tap-in locations, switch placement, etc is all up to your preference and vehicle type.

Read this whole thread, and I have a NEW question. I am doing the mod on my 03 Explorer, found the BW on passenger side. Connected the relay, and I have a lighted switch. Problem I am at is, where can tie in to get the power for my lighted switch? This mod doesn't have pics that look like mine. I have my center console out, radio out. But I don't know what wire to tie into for power?

Also, I ran my ground for the switch to the metal bracket on the passenger side, below the glove compartment, just next to the center console. Instead of tieing into some wire. Should be fine right?

...Should be fine right?

I'd say so :) There isn't much current to engage the relay there... worst case (if the ground is/goes bad) the relay won't engage and you'll know. Won't happen though...

... where can tie in to get the power for my lighted switch?

I would grab the power off teh radio red power wire (I think it's a bit larger gauge than the rest.. but I'm not sure and won't know till I do my new radio later this month...LOL).

You could grab the power from just about anywhere (cigarette lighter, lighting power for floor shifter, etc)... but the radio will have some capacity and it is auxiliary (key in ignition required) power so if you leave the lighted switch on... it won't kill your battery when not driving (would probably take weeks to kill it cause it doesn't draw much power at all).

Thank you for the response :)
Is anywhere with a red wire a "power" wire? My radio is stock and the wires that go to the harness are pretty small. Not even sure I seen a red wire lol. I tried testing my switch to see if it works by touching the power wire to a 12 volt battery, and attaching the ground to metal. But my switch didn't light up. Is something wrong with my switch, or is this not a way to test it?
And just to be positive, I ran the two spliced wires into the relay, ran a ground to the relay, and have one wire left that will go to the "load" on the switch. This is correct right? Sorry if the questions are simple, but I'm NOT any good at electrical.

Sounds like you got the right idea. I would double check your relay diagram and make sure it is correct. Also... for your lighted switch... double check that diagram as well and make sure you have 12v to it.

Yep, it looks like I found the right wire for the power to the switch. I did some research on the wiring. BUT, now that I have everything hooked up, My shifter won't move out of park. It is stuck there. The switch engages the relay because I can hear the relay when I click the switch. But why is my shifter now stuck in park? And it isn't the steering lock either. I don't get it. I spliced the brown wire in the small group of wires. Is there another brown wire, and maybe I clipped the wrong one?

Or could this be because I have the two ends of the BW backwards on the relay? I did make sure I connected them to the right leads (87a & 30). But this thread doesn't say which of the two wires goes onto which lead. And there isn't any pics for me to see.

Ok I'm really getting worried now. I reconnected the original wires to see if I could get my shifter to move and it won't budge at all. I don't understand what is going on??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wish I could be more help but I'm not sure the details/symptoms you're having.

If it makes you feel better... when I wired in my tcase (from scratch) I got every wire wrong a few times... when I got it right.. worked fine.

My guess... you are not in neutral or park. Make sure you are in one of those gears or the module won't power anything

Back