Window Tinting | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Window Tinting

I had 20% put on the fronts of our 2016 Sport and it seems to be a perfect match. I tried to get the front windshield tinted with LLUMAR Air Blue 80, but had to abort due to the change in how the rear view mirror is attached. The tool he has used on other Fords didn't work on the '16. I made a post earlier this week asking if anyone knew how to remove the rear view mirror. Around 200 views and not one reply. lol I've had Air Blue 80 on other vehicles and the heat rejection is legit. Before, you couldn't leave your hand on the dash after the car was in the sun for a while. Afterwards, the dash was HOT, but you could leave your hand on it without cooking your flesh. lol 3M Crystalline is another good option for the front windshield.

Oh, any issues with AB 80 and night vision and weird glares etc?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Haven't had any issues on any of the cars that I've had the AB80 on. I've read on other forums about some people complaining of starbursts after they had film put on their front windshield. Most seem to think it's an install issue. I've got it on my LS460, had it put on my mom's CX-5, and had it on 4 previously owned vehicles. No issues whatsoever, other than having slightly lower temps in the summer. If I can't figure out how to get the rear view mirror off of the Ex, I'll run by the dealer. Then I can schedule the install of the AB80.

Thanks cyaford. The tint shop didn't have AB 80 or crystalline. I will wait to figure out what I'm doing for the windshield. I went with whole vehicle ceramic; 25% for front windows, 50% back and sunroof.

When I replace the windshield, I'll strongly consider full tint (clear) as the glass is so large and the dash gets so hot on my drives home heading west in the summer!

I don't think there's a need to tint the back windows. You will have difficulty seeing at night going anywhere darker than the factory 20% tint. Even the 20% is hard to see. And if you tint the back, you'll have to go even darker on the driver/passenger front windows to match it, and then you really won't see in the dark.

With that said, I tinted my two front windows with 3M 20% tint (CS20) and I couldn't be happier. I've had it for years on my Mustang and I think it's the best tint on the planet. The 3M 20% is almost a perfect match looking in or out to the factory tint. I would NEVER tint the front windshield so I just put one of those sunshades for the windshield. You can buy them anywhere for about $9 and they do keep the heat out.

Cost to Tint

Would any of my Canadian counter parts have any idea the dealer cost to tint the front two windows. I am looking at the %20 tint. Thank you

2016 Explorer Driver+Passenger Window Tint

We are going to order a 2016 Explorer in the next several days. My wife is interested in having the front driver/passenger windows tinted a little darker than normal. Does the factory do this? If so do you know the cost?

I doubt the factory will do a darker tint. Just have them done locally after you get the car.

Does your state even allow you to tint your front windows. I know in IL, you can't do anything other than a light tint for the front.

window tint

In Michigan, it is legal if the tint is done at the factory. If not factory tinted not allowed by law.

you would have to ask your dealer. sometimes the dealership can do it if they offer the service.

Fronts will not come tinted, unlike the rear windows. Aftermarket tint is the way to go and depending on local state laws you can (or not) tint the fronts 20% to 35%
(mine are 13%)
20151119_144233-M.jpg

20151123_174018-M.jpg

No, 20% on the front window is not "OK" The factory dark tint is 25%.
Don't give out bad Info just for your amusement.

I think 20% of the front window is ok;)
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Not sure if you were aware that the post you replied to is 10 months old. Not that it is a problem but I'm guessing that the matter has likely been addressed. Also, the member hasn't been active since January.

Peter

I always get the front windows tint-matched to the rear. I do it cause of the brutal heat and it looks great, but I know the rules. I got scolded once by an officer, but he was busting my balls and was cool about it. I used to get my windshield dark tinted too which is a big no no. I never felt like I have visibility issues and I liked the dash protection it provided, but since having kids, I refuse to do it anymore. I don't like the look of tinting a brow on the front window - I think it looks tacky. I was considering 50% on the windshield cause my tint guy was telling me it's almost impossible to see from the outside and on the inside it's hardly any change visibly (you mostly do it for UV). I'm still on the fence about it with little ones.

Window tinting may be different now, but several years ago I was told that OEM tint is color only with little UV protection. You want to protect the interior, the sun fades fabrics and plastic over time.

I put the lightest tint available then on my Lincoln's windshield. It was about 90% back then, and almost not detectable. I've been planning to use that super light tint(or clear if they have such a thing now), on all my OEM tinted windows, and the windshields. The front is no issue at all to drive with such a light tint on it. It's actually helpful at night with so many people abusing you with extra lights besides normal headlights.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cost to Tint

Would any of my Canadian counter parts have any idea the dealer cost to tint the front two windows. I am looking at the %20 tint. Thank you

Better hold off if you live in Ontario.
Our HTA was just updated and it is now illegal if both front windows don't allow min of 70% light through.

Back