• Register Today It's free!

roof mount antenna

clydedog

Reaction score
City, State
Oklahoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer
looking for instructions & description for removing 2014 explorer stock roof antenna mount.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is a post on here about removing trim to access the rear speakers,
and one that is about the headliner - but it was for a Police unit and they were discussing mounting lights,
not sure if there were instructions for lowering headliner but I think so.

Buy trim removal tools at Autozone.
Remove trim in cargo area so you can
drop down back end of headliner,

roof will be exposed,
unscrew base nut of antennae module,
disconnect wiring harness,
and entire module will go up and out of roof.

Take care when loosening antennae bolt, that silver part is a shaft going down from antennae,
and then its secured from the bottom.
Dont yank it or try to move it without removing the base clamp or you can dent the roof.

Great detailed answer!!

Has anyone converted this antenna to the type of antenna that is on the 2016 Explorer?

looking for instructions & description for removing 2014 explorer stock roof antenna mount.
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
What, if anything, are you going to replace it with?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
What, if anything, are you going to replace it with?

Peter

1 post and he has never been back since he joined.
I sure hope he found what he was looking for.

Has anyone converted this antenna to the type of antenna that is on the 2016 Explorer?

The antenna on the 2016's look exactly like the Shark Fin antenna and I am wondering if Visual Garage are supplying Ford with these for production?

Love my VG antenna. Ive had one on 2 different vehicles now.

The antenna on the 2016's look exactly like the Shark Fin antenna and I am wondering if Visual Garage are supplying Ford with these for production?

err ahh, not so fast. I have one and it is nice.
But,
The VG sharkfin is gently curved, and has a foam base all around it.
Its also a tad large, up to 7" or so end to end.
The foam base contains 3M adhesive and without a lot of modding, must be used this way.
The foam base is a dense foam approx 1/8" tall,but not too rigid, but is charcoal grey. Not easily seen but it looks cheap and will likely give out after some years.

The paint job matches the car color & metalflake but the flakes are much smaller and it doesnt match the body paint 100%.

The new OEM sharkfin is smaller & shorter, and is more angular at the top and in general all the way around.
The base is a thin firm rubber gasket and nothing else, barely visible, as are all of the newer fins.

Next new H. Pilot you see, check out its rear antennae - its tiny. It looks like a black box of matches.

This is a pic of a fin with issues, so the foam is a bit more pronounced, read about it here:
Visual Garage - Shark FIn Antennae Problem

These are more modern in design-wonder if they're same dim as Ex fin;
Facebook

But,
The foam base contains 3M adhesive and without a lot of modding, must be used this way.
The foam base is a dense foam approx 1/8" tall,but not too rigid, but is charcoal grey. Not easily seen but it looks cheap and will likely give out after some years.

The paint job matches the car color & metalflake but the flakes are much smaller and it doesnt match the body paint 100%.

The new OEM sharkfin is smaller & shorter, and is more angular at the top and in general all the way around.
The base is a thin firm rubber gasket and nothing else, barely visible, as are all of the newer fins.

Next new H. Pilot you see, check out its rear antennae - its tiny. It looks like a black box of matches.

OK Thanks. Was wondering because we all know that somebody makes those antenna for Ford and was just wondering who it would be. I prefer a more resonant antenna than a coil loaded one.

The problem I have with the OEM antenna on my '14 Explorer is that it hits my garage door, not bad going in, but backing out it will rip the antenna off. So I bought a "stubby" antenna. Works OK, but some of the FM stations that are marginal aren't as good as with the OEM. It doesn't affect the satellite radio because that antenna isn't used for it.

I just don't like the looks of the aftermarket shark fins. They look aftermarket and I have been told that the reception is compromised with them, as well.

But,

This is a pic of a fin with issues, so the foam is a bit more pronounced, read about it here:
Visual Garage - Shark FIn Antennae Problem

These are more modern in design-wonder if they're same dim as Ex fin;
Facebook

No problems with either of my shark fins. I had one for 3 years on my red G8. No fading of the paint, no deterioration of the foam adhesive. If you're worried about a 110% paint match, I wouldnt. Who is going to get on a step stool and look at teh difference in the paint from an inch away? I have the same color as yours and its a spot on match.

I like the way the shark fin antennas look and if I recall correctly they have nothing to do with satellite reception, but is only used for the radio reception.

Also and more importantly I have a white platinum explorer and originally thought matching it would look good. But in thinking further about it, the OEM antenna is black, so my white explorer may look best with a black shark fin antenna. If anyone has made this modification and has a photo, please share. A black matted finish I think may look best.

I like the way the shark fin antennas look and if I recall correctly they have nothing to do with satellite reception, but is only used for the radio reception.

Also and more importantly I have a white platinum explorer and originally thought matching it would look good. But in thinking further about it, the OEM antenna is black, so my white explorer may look best with a black shark fin antenna. If anyone has made this modification and has a photo, please share. A black matted finish I think may look best.
I found 2 threads that show the Shark Fin using the 'Search' program.
The first shows white on white and the second black on white. Hope this helps.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343743&highlight=shark+fin
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=397592&highlight=shark+fin

The Shark Fin antenna is used for AM/FM and Sirius reception. The antenna for the GPS in under the dash on the driver's side.

Peter

I found 2 threads that show the Shark Fin using the 'Search' program.
The first shows white on white and the second black on white. Hope this helps.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343743&highlight=shark+fin
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=397592&highlight=shark+fin

The Shark Fin antenna is used for AM/FM and Sirius reception. The antenna for the GPS in under the dash on the driver's side.

Peter

I also found the second thread which is a silver explorer. I think it depends on the color of the roof rack and wheels as to which antenna color would look best. I have black roof rack with black wheels, therefore, a matted black shark fin antenna may look best.

Perhaps the antenna used for satellite reception, if so when I have unscrewed the stem there is no noticeable difference in reception for satellite.

I also found the second thread which is a silver explorer. I think it depends on the color of the roof rack and wheels as to which antenna color would look best. I have black roof rack with black wheels, therefore, a matted black shark fin antenna may look best.

Perhaps the antenna used for satellite reception, if so when I have unscrewed the stem there is no noticeable difference in reception for satellite.
You should be able to remove the AM/FM 'stick' antenna and still have Sirius reception. That antenna is in the base of the current antenna.

Peter

Has anyone found the Ford part number for the 2016 shark fin cover? When I look it up on fordparts.com it still shows up as a "mast" style.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Has anyone found the Ford part number for the 2016 shark fin cover? When I look it up on fordparts.com it still shows up as a "mast" style.

I called Ford this morning and their parts department came up with the same answer as you. My guess is that they have not stocked the part yet.

I'm thinking about going with the Beat-Sonic FDA3:

http://www.beatsonicusa.com/beat-sonic-fda3-shark-fin-radio-antenna.html

I spoke with them today and they said it would fit. The are about 1.5 hours away from me, so I may take a drive and place the white and black on the roof to see which I would like better. I think it will be the black, but unfortunately it is glossy vs. flat. On the plus side the glossy fin will stay clean easier and not require Armour All, etc.

Back