Losing Antifreeze - No puddle?!? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Losing Antifreeze - No puddle?!?

A possible Heater Hose Leak, a great tip. I'll have to check that out. I viewed the suggested youtube clip how the guy rerouted that heater hose, and I like how he saved his customer hundreds. My Ford Ranger is scheduled to go on my friend's garage lift on Tuesday for new fog lamps assemblies anyway, so we'll check it out. I wish there was a high-point bleed on the ford rangers's coolant system to eliminate air pockets, and a better place to put that PCV Valve instead of being located near the firewall at the back of that driver's side plastic valve cover. If you crack that PCV port (has coolant tubing line passing around that PCV) like a mechanic once did on my truck, it will cost hundreds to replace that plastic valve cover to stop that oil leak at the rear of the engine. It wasn't the rear engine oil seal like we first thought.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi there, Finally something tangible had showed up while we put my truck on my 73 year old friend's (Vince) garage lift to install new replacement fog lamps. He's selective on what jobs he does now. Anyway, we notice some green stuff/Coolant coming from the water pump dripping onto the cross member. Yep, something showed up alright but for my 02 Ford Ranger with a 4.0L Motor the repair bill will be $300 ... along with some peace of mind. The best new water pump will go into this truck (not rebuilt) according to the mechanic doing the job, Mark, who owns a Ford Ranger and he recommends it. I agree.

I was also having a issue with losing antifreeze. And still am. My head gasket is fine. Not the heater coil. But I've replaced the thermostat and bottom part of the housing. everything was put back correctly to my knowledge. And it's still leaking from between the top and bottom part of thermostat housing. Idk how to fix this problem. My 2000 explorer xlt has 4.0 sohc v6. The other day it was hot enough after driving in the rain that it was steaming the water off the hood like it was on fire. It wasn't lol. Any help would be awesome

I have a 2008 4.0 with 96k miles. I have replaced 2 thermostat housings and just put in a new factory radiator (our 2nd one). The thermostat housing leaks would boil off the engine and leave no evidence, you could smell it, but where the heck is it? The bottom O-ring was the usual culprit. I ordered both a factory and on off brand housing (Dorman?) and it came with a smaller diameter O-ring than the factory. Although they say not to, my mechanic would put a bit of gasket sealer on it to help seal. Once I went with a bigger O-ring I never put a drop of sealer on it. I have replaced all the hoses, the water pump, over flow tank (there is a TSB about these leaking) and just put in for the second time a new radiator. Every time I had issues, I would notice coolant loss but it was never right in front of my face, I always had to dig to find the culprit. Just be careful if you use products like Bars-Leak and you plan on keeping the car, you tube it and you will find out why.

I was also having a issue with losing antifreeze. And still am. My head gasket is fine. Not the heater coil. But I've replaced the thermostat and bottom part of the housing. everything was put back correctly to my knowledge. And it's still leaking from between the top and bottom part of thermostat housing. Idk how to fix this problem. My 2000 explorer xlt has 4.0 sohc v6. The other day it was hot enough after driving in the rain that it was steaming the water off the hood like it was on fire. It wasn't lol. Any help would be awesome
If your motor was hot enough to steam rain water off the hood it’s probably toast. Running a motor, especially a ‘modern’ one that overheats is a sure fire way to ruin it.

Back