Paint bubbling on 2014 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Paint bubbling on 2014 Explorer

My 2014 Ford Explorer is less than 2 years old and the hood has paint that has bubbled and is chipping away. Because the mileage is just shy of 40,000 when I took it in to the dealer, it is out of warranty. The dealer feels the hood should be replaced, but Ford told the dealer that they would not cover it. So I called Ford Customer Service. They said that they would do something, but waiting to find out what is meant by something. This problem was not caused by mileage. Will let you know what Ford's response is when I get it.
Is anyone else having trouble with their paint in a short period of time? Kodiak Brown is the color of my Explorer.
If I figure out how to insert pictures from my computer I will put them up for you to see the two areas.
Art

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 2014 Ford Explorer is less than 2 years old and the hood has paint that has bubbled and is chipping away. Because the mileage is just shy of 40,000 when I took it in to the dealer, it is out of warranty. The dealer feels the hood should be replaced, but Ford told the dealer that they would not cover it. So I called Ford Customer Service. They said that they would do something, but waiting to find out what is meant by something. This problem was not caused by mileage. Will let you know what Ford's response is when I get it.
Is anyone else having trouble with their paint in a short period of time? Kodiak Brown is the color of my Explorer.
If I figure out how to insert pictures from my computer I will put them up for you to see the two areas.
Art

If there is no obvious signs of rock chips in the area, then it has to do with rust proofing from underneath. Car manufactures now a days spend a lot of time on making the cars last a long as possible. I would hope that they cover you hood under some sort of warranty. If it is because of rock chips though I would suggest getting a ClearBra installed to prevent it from happening again.

There are now three areas that the paint is bubbling along the front edge. No sign of a nick. I am not happy with the Ford Customer Service. They tell me they would do something, but they are waiting to hear from the dealer. Then I was told that I needed to take it to the dealer so they can determine what they would do. But the dealer has already seen my vehicle and told me that the hood needs replaced. So I feel like I am being put off. Especially since they were suppose to get back to me on Wednesday, but I left a message on Thursday and still had to call on Friday to talk to the rep. Now I am waiting and suppose to get a call from the supervisor on Monday.
If I wait for a hole to go through the hood, than there is a five year warranty they would replace the hood under. But I do not believe I should have to wait.

Just got off the phone with the supervisor. They are unwilling to take care of this at 100%. If I had not been put off last week, I probably would have been willing to work with him. But I am getting to talk with my attorney and let him take over. Poor workmanship, poor materials, or a combination of both and Ford will not stand behind their product. I am not happy.

I agree. A known issue from Ford that began in 2011 and obviously ignored. Looks like it takes about 2 years to happen for a good portion of owners. I am praying I don't see it happen on my 2015.

I agree. A known issue from Ford that began in 2011 and obviously ignored. Looks like it takes about 2 years to happen for a good portion of owners. I am praying I don't see it happen on my 2015.

Make sure you have it inspected prior to the 36,000 miles. If I would have, Ford would have covered it.

Art
It's a common problem because the hood is made of aluminum..it's corrosion, not rust. My 2014 ex has 16k miles and the only reason I discovered the bubbles is because of this forum :thumbsup:
it's on the entire front lip of the hood....dealer took photos and are authorized to repaint it.I get it back tomorrow..I was told if they don't paint under the hood that the corrosion will return..I forsee returning my ex to them before the 3yr/36k comes up

It's a common problem because the hood is made of aluminum..it's corrosion, not rust. My 2014 ex has 16k miles and the only reason I discovered the bubbles is because of this forum :thumbsup:
it's on the entire front lip of the hood....dealer took photos and are authorized to repaint it.I get it back tomorrow..I was told if they don't paint under the hood that the corrosion will return..I forsee returning my ex to them before the 3yr/36k comes up

Although I have had my Explore less than two years, but have over 36,000 (just under 40,000 when I took it in) miles. Ford will not cover it. The dealer told me that the hood needs replaced, since they could not guaranty that they could fix the problem without it returning.
I did blow my stack with Len, the supervisor, for the west coast on Monday. On Tuesday, I called back and left a voice mail that I would like to talk calmly about what they will do. Still no response, will follow up tomorrow.
Called Century since I have the Finishing Touch 5 year policy. They told me that they do not cover paint that is chipped. But they are going to have an inspector come out and look at it to see what they can do.

Although I have had my Explore less than two years, but have over 36,000 (just under 40,000 when I took it in) miles. Ford will not cover it. The dealer told me that the hood needs replaced, since they could not guaranty that they could fix the problem without it returning.
I did blow my stack with Len, the supervisor, for the west coast on Monday. On Tuesday, I called back and left a voice mail that I would like to talk calmly about what they will do. Still no response, will follow up tomorrow.
Called Century since I have the Finishing Touch 5 year policy. They told me that they do not cover paint that is chipped. But they are going to have an inspector come out and look at it to see what they can do.

You need to tell them that the paint is not chipped, but rather, it is bubbling. They might have an impression that road debris chipped off the paint, exposing bare metal (aluminum in this case) and that now it is rusting.
Tell them it is not chipped and that it is bubbling from under the paint, which would prove it's origin is from the hood itself. good luck

Most likely it is from improper prep before painting, I've been in the refinish business over 35 years, adheasion of substrates to aluminum is based in the type of primer used on the surface, as in the aircraft assembly factories. Zinc Chromate or acid etched primer is the chemical bond verses machanical bond the we are used to with steel. (sanded surface prep) Urethane 2K primers then quality top coats. Replacing the hood is unnessasary, but the only way for them to stand by a warranty is replace the hood and start from scratch. All the new or aftermarket sheetmetal come with an E-coat prime that is electostatically applied primer, it is nothing more that a thin protective layer, it does nothing but keep the metal from rusting, most body shops just scuff and shoot their sealer and topcoats on them and its done. You hood could have all the finish sanded, any loose areas sanded back and then coated with a good epoxy primer such as PPG DP90, then continue with the required refinish operation. Its what you put below that makes the exterior last. Especially in the refinish industry, unless you want to work for free doing comebacks. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and have a shop do the work correctly, but then... you never know what goes on after you drop off the car and the doors are closed.

Same problem is happening with my 2013 kodiac brown explorer. Bubbling on front lip of hood in several places. You can peel off paint with your fingernail. Told by dealer it's because hood is aluminum. Trying to save on weight. Dealer sent in complaint form for us but since it has 60000 miles, chances are ford won't cover it. How can they get away with not covering an obvious defect?

Here is my story

Same problem is happening with my 2013 kodiac brown explorer. Bubbling on front lip of hood in several places. You can peel off paint with your fingernail. Told by dealer it's because hood is aluminum. Trying to save on weight. Dealer sent in complaint form for us but since it has 60000 miles, chances are ford won't cover it. How can they get away with not covering an obvious defect?

Here is my story:

7/8/2015 Took Explorer to Dealer. They told me that my hood needs replaced. Then they found out that I had approximately 39968 miles which is over the paint warranty and my 100,000 mile warranty does not apply. I have owned this vehicle one week shy of 1 year and eleven months. The Explorer never sat on Dealer`s lot. I picked it up within hours of it being delivered.

7/9/2015 - Received word that Ford told Dealer that they would not do anything.

7/9/2015 approx 1:00 PM- spoke with (SW) Ford Customer service - got case number and told that I would get a call in 1 business day.

7/10/2015 appox 12:00 PM (incoming)- SW Ford Customer Service Rep - they are working on resolving the issue with the hood. Looking at asking the dealer to participate. mentioned a 30 to 50 % participation. I stated that this appeared to be low. Rep said that he was just throwing out some numbers. He is waiting for the dealership to supply them with some numbers. Will be back by the 15th.

7/16/2015 appox 8:46 AM (outgoing) lvm with Rep - did not hear anything on Wednesday

7/17/2015 appox 12:30 PM (outgoing) SW Rep - he told me I had to take the Explorer into Dealer. Dealer has seen the vehicle, they are the ones that told me that the hood needs replaced. I told him that if I have to go into Dealer and leave my car. I need a rental. I feel that they should already be know by now what Ford and Dealer are willing to do. Rep's supervisors is supposed to call me in one business day.

7/20/2015 -rxed call from supervisor, was not told what they will do. Only told what they will not do. I got heated.

7/21/2015 lvm with supervisor that I would like to talk calmly to him and find out what Ford will do.

7/23/2015 Left another message with supervisor that I would like to know what Ford will do.

7/24/2015 Rep called the house and spoke to wife. Told her that I need to take the Explorer into Dealer.

7/27/2015 41117 miles - rtn to Dealer for another inspection. Dealer service rep, did not need to see the Explorer, since he knows what is needed from my earlier visit. However, they had not spoken with rep and did not know what they were being told to do. I called Rep and let him know that I was at Dealer and they need to hear from him. Dealer service rep came out and said he just left a message as well.
Dealer service rep said he did not needed to reexamine the Explorer since he had already seen it and knew what was needed. As I had told Ford rep on my first call and second call.

7/30/2015 2:54 PM rep called to find out when I was going to take the Explorer in to Dealer. I informed him that I had taken it into Dealer on Monday and they were waiting to hear from him.

8/3/2015 9:15 AM meet with the inspector for Finishing Touch, he stated that they would not cover the repairs. Also, that what was going on with my car was a defect not caused by anything I had done or a rock hitting my hood.

8/5/2015 3:01 PM rep called and said that Dealer will do the work at cost and Ford would cover 40%. I said that Ford had me over a barrel. Rep offered 50% and I said okay. My okay was not that I approve of the answer, it was just that I want to get this done.

8/12/2015 2:48 PM rep called leaving a message to call him back.

8/13/2015 9:00 AM left message with rep that I was returning his call and to call me back on my cell phone. Additionally that I would be in a meeting till 10:00 AM. called rep at 10:05 AM, but did not leave a message.

8/13/2015 1:00 PM called rep. He asked if I was satisfied with my repairs. I informed him that I was scheduled to take the Explorer in on Monday morning the 17th. He asked me to call him after I drop it off so he could follow up with the dealer. Than asked if I had his number and then again asked a second time if I had his number. I assured him that I did and would call him after dropping off the Explorer on Monday.

8/17/2015 7:45 AM dropped Explorer off at Dealer. Called rep to let him know Explorer was at Dealer.

8/20/2015 2:00 PM picked up Explorer from Dealer. Did not get paperwork, since they are still waiting on Ford for information that Dealer needs to complete the paperwork. The Explorer does look good.

9/2/2015 – still waiting for paperwork. Assume that Ford Customer Service still has not talked to Dealer.

Wow...that's a lot of time and phone calls on your part for an obvious defect on their part. Are they going to repaint your hood or replace hood. Also, is this a problem on any other part of explorer or just the hood. We are planning on purchasing this car as it is a company car my wife has drivin for 2 years. Any other part of car aluminum?

Wow...that's a lot of time and phone calls on your part for an obvious defect on their part. Are they going to repaint your hood or replace hood. Also, is this a problem on any other part of explorer or just the hood. We are planning on purchasing this car as it is a company car my wife has drivin for 2 years. Any other part of car aluminum?

The hood was replaced, since just painting the Dealer would not warranty the work. It is the only place that the bubbling appeared. I do not think that there is aluminum anywhere else on the body, but I can not say that with certainty.

I did answer a survey from Ford about my how I felt about my experience with Ford Customer Service. It did not allow for any written input. As you could imagine it was not a glowing response. It has been a week and no one has tried to reach me to see why I am dissatisfied. Also I responded to the E-magazine that they could remove me from their mailing and I provided my time line.

I think that I am going to send it via letter to the CEO and the Explorer Designer.

Same problem is happening with my 2013 kodiac brown explorer. Bubbling on front lip of hood in several places. You can peel off paint with your fingernail...
Welcome to the community, Wallaceandgromit! :)

My name is Tricia, and I’m the U.S. Ford Customer Service Representative. Did this concern ever get resolved? If not, please (private message) PM your full name, VIN, mileage, dealer, and best contact number. I’ll look into available options to assist!

The hood was replaced, since just painting the Dealer would not warranty the work. It is the only place that the bubbling appeared...
Hello arthura,

I’m glad to learn that the dealer resolved your concern. I’ll be happy to document your feedback. Please PM your full name, VIN, mileage, dealer, and best contact number. I’ll get this noted!

Tricia

Im going to have to inspect the hood of my truck - but this morning noticed some significant paint bubbles on the roofline of my 2013 Explorer Sport. Specifically underneath the roof rails. At first I thought it was condensation but after pulling out of my driveway I got up on the passenger side and ran my fingers along it and sure enough they're paint bubbles. We're talking about 3 feet worth of roofline covered in bubbles. I'm still 3 months under my 3yr 60k warranty - anyone else notice this problem?

Im going to have to inspect the hood of my truck - but this morning noticed some significant paint bubbles on the roofline of my 2013 Explorer Sport. Specifically underneath the roof rails. At first I thought it was condensation but after pulling out of my driveway I got up on the passenger side and ran my fingers along it and sure enough they're paint bubbles. We're talking about 3 feet worth of roofline covered in bubbles. I'm still 3 months under my 3yr 60k warranty - anyone else notice this problem?

Do not hesitate or you will be paying for this.

My 2013 Limited - Kodak Brown is showing bubbling on the rear doors above the handle.
It's has 44,500 miles on it.
Damn, now I gotta check the hood, and schedule time with the Dealer.
This does not sound like I will enjoy the experience.

Do not hesitate or you will be paying for this.

I didn't hesitate! I dropped by my local dealer and they took photos and did some 'tape test' on the area. Called me that afternoon to say Ford would be repairing under warranty.

They originally quoted 3 days for the work, but I got a call last week saying the repair was 'more extensive than expected'. Its been almost a week and I'm hoping they'll define what they meant. Also curious to know if Ford will warranty that work if the area starts to bubble/rust in the near future.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I didn't hesitate! I dropped by my local dealer and they took photos and did some 'tape test' on the area. Called me that afternoon to say Ford would be repairing under warranty.

They originally quoted 3 days for the work, but I got a call last week saying the repair was 'more extensive than expected'. Its been almost a week and I'm hoping they'll define what they meant. Also curious to know if Ford will warranty that work if the area starts to bubble/rust in the near future.

Glad that it worked out for you. The dealer (Penske) said their work is warranted.

Back