2002 Explorer XLT Rear Window will not lock | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer XLT Rear Window will not lock

2ndcovenant

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002ExplXLT 4x4 4.0L 6cyl
Hey folks.

I am new here but have frequently visited the site to help solve problems with my 2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 6.0 cylinder 4.0 liter (thank you by the way).

Right now I am running into an issue that I don't see resolved on the site for my truck and I really need some help.

The truck was purchased from a used vehicle dealership a little less than a year ago with some issues but I thought that after replacing the battery, radiator, and fuel pump all within the past two days, that I had everything taken care of. Finally, all was good in the world again.

Then....today I took the truck to a place where the workers wash the car for you, inside and out. The truck looked amazing. I jumped in and saw that the door ajar light was on but I figured that I live just around the corner, I would check the doors there. It was then I found they had gotten the rear window hatch to open. The rear window hatch has never opened since I bought it because it came locked and I didn't know about the rubber button on the right side above the tag. I should state here that the dealer was not given a door key when he bought it, only the ignition key and the key fob. So I *always* have to use the key fob to unlock and lock the doors from the outside. The door key, I am told, will have to be purchased from an official dealer for over $100 since it has a chip in it and I have been without a solid job for almost a year. I just got picked up by a company new to the USA and start next week. Anyhoo, The door fob only has three buttons... lock, unlock, and alarm. It is dark grey or a faded black fob with a black unlock button on the top right, a black lock button on the top left, and just below that, in the center of the fob, is a red alarm button.

I found out about the rubber button above the tag here and tried to use it to lock the door, but it would not lock. I opened the window and watched the latch itself while I hit the button. While the latch is in the "unlocked" position and I hit the button, nothing changes; it stays unlocked. When I push the inside of the latch to make it seem locked to the truck, and then I hit the rubber button, the lock *does* unlock. The electric locking mechanism seems to work fine for unlocking the rear window but the rear window latch simply won't "lock" back into place.

When I use the key fob to try to lock all of the doors and the rear window, all of the doors *do* lock but not the rear window. When I hold the rear window up and I put the latch into the faked "lock" state by pushing the latch toward the front of the car, and then press the key fob to unlock the doors and rear window, yes, it does unlock. So the key fob seems to make the rear window latch react just like the rubber button near the tag does.

It unlocks, but won't lock.

Honestly, I don't care if the rear window never opens again (I never used it independently of the whole rear door before anyhow) but I need the rear window to lock so that the door ajar and the overhead light won't stay on.

Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not going to be much help, I haven't had those problems yet. My 2002 has been a real good vehicle. But my fob has 4 buttons on it -- the fourth for releasing the lift glass. Maybe someone bought a wrong fob, since they apparently don't have the right key either ????? Just a shot in the dark

actuator might be busted, time to replace it or clean it.
did you try pushing the lock mechanism to lock and then see if it unlocks and then locks again? sometimes they just get stuck (one way) due to crud and dried up grease..

Holy crap I don't even know where to start with this.

I should state here that the dealer was not given a door key when he bought it, only the ignition key and the key fob. So I *always* have to use the key fob to unlock and lock the doors from the outside. The door key, I am told, will have to be purchased from an official dealer for over $100 since it has a chip in it and I have been without a solid job for almost a year.

Whoever told you this needs to be punched in the face. DOOR KEYS (if not keyed the same as the ignition, which it's supposed to be unless some moron replaced one but not the other) DO NOT HAVE CHIP/TRANSPONDERS IN THEM, ONLY THE IGNITION KEY HAS A TRANSPONDER. Have you tried your ignition key in the door? If it does not work in it you can have a automotive locksmith do one of two things. 1. Rekey the door to match the ignition. or 2. decode the door lock and make you a flat non transponder key for the door (keyblank Ilco H86).

Anyhoo, The door fob only has three buttons... lock, unlock, and alarm. It is dark grey or a faded black fob with a black unlock button on the top right, a black lock button on the top left, and just below that, in the center of the fob, is a red alarm button.

You have the wrong remote for your vehicle. You should have the keyfob model with 4 buttons. Black lock and unlock, red panic, and a blue rear glass button.

I found out about the rubber button above the tag here and tried to use it to lock the door, but it would not lock. I opened the window and watched the latch itself while I hit the button. While the latch is in the "unlocked" position and I hit the button, nothing changes; it stays unlocked. When I push the inside of the latch to make it seem locked to the truck, and then I hit the rubber button, the lock *does* unlock. The electric locking mechanism seems to work fine for unlocking the rear window but the rear window latch simply won't "lock" back into place.

Um, there is no electric "lock" function of the rear glass. To lock it you simply give it a good hard press in the middle. You can press that button all day, it's a unlock only button, same with the blue button on the correct remote.

I have the same exact problem. Was there a resolution on this issue?

Holy crap I don't even know where to start with this.

Whoever told you this needs to be punched in the face. DOOR KEYS (if not keyed the same as the ignition, which it's supposed to be unless some moron replaced one but not the other) DO NOT HAVE CHIP/TRANSPONDERS IN THEM, ONLY THE IGNITION KEY HAS A TRANSPONDER. Have you tried your ignition key in the door? If it does not work in it you can have a automotive locksmith do one of two things. 1. Rekey the door to match the ignition. or 2. decode the door lock and make you a flat non transponder key for the door (keyblank Ilco H86).

You have the wrong remote for your vehicle. You should have the keyfob model with 4 buttons. Black lock and unlock, red panic, and a blue rear glass button.

Um, there is no electric "lock" function of the rear glass. To lock it you simply give it a good hard press in the middle. You can press that button all day, it's a unlock only button, same with the blue button on the correct remote.

I have the same problem. Was there a resolution to this issue?

On my 2004 only the Blue Button on FOB will unlock rear window.[2 taps] The un-lock button on FOB or on inside door panel will un-lock Hatch. Ignition Key will open door as will outside keypad. You may have 2 seperate problems, one being something fishy with dealer and Key/FOB and other with door sensor or whatever tells computer door is closed on one of your doors or hatch. I haven't tried yet but I am not sure if message is same when Hatch or window is not closed. IE: Hatch open [as in 'trunk open' on sedans] Check connections running through door to inside panel by hinges. You haven't been clear on whether you can close rear window and it seems fishy again if you can now open rear window with FOB but obviously it never came open before? I never checked though that rear window had unlock/lock mechanism just pops open to me with FOB and shuts with push.

My 02 started doing this yesterday where the glass wasn't latching shut, unless i gave an extra push in the center. I just cleaned and sprayed some wd40 on the latch. Its been locking fine today.

Back